Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't log into Windows XP after cloning (currently running Ubuntu

• Please log in to reply

marlon667

marlon667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Ok thats fine, im ready

Advertisements

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Here we go!

Please boot up your computer on the 80 GB windows drive.

Step A.

Once it is booted completely, attach the 1 TB usb storage drive.

• Click Start, click Run, type compmgmt.msc, and then click OK.
  • In the console tree, click Disk Management. The Disk Management window appears. Your disks and volumes appear in a graphical view and list view. To customize how you view your disks and volumes in the upper and lower panes of the window, point to Top or Bottom on the View menu, and then click the view that you want to use.

You should now see the large external drive in the list.

• In the Disk Management window, right-click the partition or logical drive that you want to delete on the external 1 TB drive, and then click Delete Partition or Delete Logical Drive.
  • Click Yes when you are prompted to delete the partition or logical drive. The partition or logical drive is deleted.

Repeat these steps until all the partitions are gone from the 1 TB external drive.

Step B.

• To create a new partition, right-click unallocated space on the external 1 TB disk where you want to create the partition, and then click New Partition.
  • In the New Partition Wizard, click Next.
  • Click the type of partition that you want to create "Primary partition", and then click Next.
  • Specify the size of the partition in the Partition size in MB (80 GB not MB) box, and then click Next.
  • let the system automatically enumerate the drive, then click Next.
  • Specify the formatting options you want to use by using the following procedures:
  • Spcify to format the partition, click Format this partition with the following settings, and then complete the following procedure in the Format dialog box:

• Type a name for the volume in the Volume label box. This is an optional step.
  • Click the file system that you want to use in the File system box (NTFS).
  • Then format the new partition.

Step C.

Once this is complete please shutdown the computer.
Now insert your USB flash drive with Ubuntu and boot up on the flash drive with the 80 GB drive installed and the 1 TB external drive still attached to the computer.

Open a Terminal window to input and execute these sudo commands in bold.
Use the command sudo fdisk -l in a Terminal window to determine the correct drive assignment for the following commands. Adjust as needed.

if = source drive (80GB)
of = target drive (1TB)

This will write the entire 80GB mbr and boot sector to the external drive, assuming sda is the 80GB drive and sdb the 1TB drive.

sudo dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=512 count=64 conv=notrunc,noerror

This will write the MBR to the external drive.

Both drives' partitions should be enumerated under /media, lets say sda1 and sdb1
This will copy the data from sda1 to sdb1 Please verify this is so before continuing.

sudo dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/dev/sdb1 bs=4096 conv=notrunc,noerror

This will copy the 80 GB drive "clone style" to the 1TB external drive's 80 GB partition. This will be a long process, do not interrupt it. Wait for it to return to a command prompt in the Terminal window before doing anything in the Terminal Window. Patience is a must!

Once this is completed. Please shutdown the computer, disconnect the flash USB drive, and the external 1 TB drive.
Now boot back up on the 80 GB windows drive and send me a note that you have successfully completed these steps

marlon667

marlon667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
When I used the last command, it copied to quickly. It didn't give me any errors, but i looked at the partition on GParted on ubuntu and it said that the filesystem on the external drive had been corrupted/ was inconsistent. I deleted the partition and made another one, ran the commands again and I had the same result. Gparted said to use Chkdsk /f

Edited by marlon667, 18 July 2012 - 08:15 AM.

marlon667

marlon667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Doesn't matter, its working now.

marlon667

marlon667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Ok i'm done

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Step A.

Shut down and swap the 80GB internal drive out and install the 250GB internal drive in the computer.
Boot up with the Ubuntu Live usb flash drive with the external 1 TB drive.
Use GParted to delete all partitions on the 250GB drive and then create an 80 GB partition, set it active and format it ntfs.

Open a Terminal window to input and execute these sudo commands in bold.
Use sudo fdisk -l to again determine drive assignment, then write the mbr code and boot sector to the 250GB drive.

if = source drive (1TB)
of = target drive (250GB)

Assuming sda is the 250GB drive and sdb the 1TB drive,

sudo dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=64 conv=notrunc,noerror

Step B.

Reboot. If last actions were successful into Ubuntu using the live usb drive, it will now have sda1 and sdb1 in Media, sdb1(?) containing the data from the 80GB drive on the external 1 TB drive and sda1(?) be an empty NTFS partition. Now write the data to the 250GB drive.

sudo dd if=/dev/sdb1 of=/dev/sda1 bs=4096 conv=notrunc,noerror

This will be a long process, do not interrupt it. Wait for it to return to a command prompt in the Terminal window before doing anything in the Terminal Window. Patience is a must!

Step C.

Now shutdown the computer.
You will need to physically disconnecting the external 1 TB source drive after cloning. Having both drives connected upon startup into Windows will totally confuse the system.
Also disconnect the Ubuntu usb flash drive.

Step D.

Boot with the 250 drive which should now be bootable into Windows. Disk Management should show 1 80GB partition and the rest of the 250GB drive as RAW.

marlon667

marlon667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
The 250 drive is stuck at the black screen with a blinking cursor

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
What is the make and model of your computer?

marlon667

marlon667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

What is the make and model of your computer?

HP Compaq dc7600 small form factor

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Do you have the media card reader below the CD/DVD drive or is it a blank spot?

Also how many connectors do you have free for a hard drive that we could connect both internal drives at the same time? I know one would be temporary and have to be with the case open.

Advertisements

marlon667

marlon667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Umm i think another drive can be connected, abd there are usb ports below the cd drive

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Thanks I will get back to you soon!

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Please go to the next post.

Please right click the following link and select "save link/target as": http://noahdfear.net...eta/xPUD_MBRfix
Save the file as xPUD_mbrfix to your flashdrive.

Boot in xPUD and navigate to the flashdrive, double click on xPUD_mbrfix to run it.
When asked "What boot code do you want to write?" type: m (assuming that your computer has windows XP installed, if it is vista type i, or if it is 7 type 7) and press enter.
Type sda and press enter.
Type Y and press enter.

This will create a file called mlog.txt on your flashdrive. Post its contents in your next reply and let me know if you can boot normally in Windows now.

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Please boot with the Ubuntu USB drive and check the files and folders on the 250 GB drive and the external 1 TB drive that they are identical.

Then remove the 250 GB drive and put in the 80 GB drive to compare it with the 1 TB drive to check to see if they are identical.

Regards,

CompCav

marlon667

marlon667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I cannot access the filesystems on bothe the 250 GB and 1TB drive. GParted says that NTFS is inconsistent, and I should run chkdsk /f.