Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Pro, Acquiring Network Address

• Please log in to reply

HigginsMCFC

HigginsMCFC

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Well I recently Dual booted my HP Pavilion Slimline S3370.uk (Vista already installed) with Windows XP Home Professional.
I have been using a Belkin WIFI USB Adapter F5D7050 to connect to the internet via Windows Vista.
I installed the software for the USB adapter and all was going well until i attempted to connect to my Sky internet.
It will say the speed is Excellent but says Acquiring Network Address..
Then it will disconnect and do this repeatedly if anyone could help it would be much appreciated thanks!

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
So the USB Wi-Fi Adapter still works with Vista but does not work with XP?

Try letting Windows manages the wireless instead of Belkin, see if that helps.

To have Windows XP manage your wireless network connection, do the following.

1 Open Services (Start then Run, type services.msc and press Enter)
2 Double click on Wireless Zero Configuration
3 Set Startup type to Automatic
4 Click the Start button to start the service
5 Click Apply then OK
6 Open Network Connections.
7 Right click on Wireless Network Connection, select Properties.
8 Click the Wireless Networks tab and check the "Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings" box.
9 Click OK.

Shutdown and reboot to have this take effect.

HigginsMCFC

HigginsMCFC

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Correct will work 100% fine with Vista.
I have already tried that but when i set it to windows, it will pop up at the bottom saying it has discovered new connections.
I click it and it says none are in range?
Thanks for the quick reply btw.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Try this: Click on Start then Run or press Window key (next to left Ctrl key) +R and paste the following into the Run box, exactly as shown, including double quotes:

cmd /c "ipconfig /all > postme.txt & ping yahoo.com >> postme.txt & notepad postme.txt & del postme.txt"

and press ENTER.

A file will open in Notepad. Please copy and paste the contents here. Close the Notepad window and the file will be deleted and the Command Prompt window will also close.

HigginsMCFC

HigginsMCFC

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
In the time you took to reply I have done a good hour searching the net on what the problem was and have found out that for some reason I can disable my WPA key and it will connect fine but as soon as I put it back on the problem persists.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I wonder if the existing wireless connection (or connections) are causing the problem. Try deleting all existing wireless connections then create a new one, see if that allows you to connect with WPA active. My router is set to WPA2-PSK [AES], what is yours set to.

To remove connections:

Go to "Wireless Network Connection" (Control Panel>Network Connections>Right click on Wireless Network Connection and choose "View available wireless networks")

On the left go to "Change advanced settings." Click on the tab Wireless Networks. Then there should be a "Preferred Networks" list. You can add, remove, and edit the entries in this list.

Found here: How do u delete a wireless network connection on my windows xp?

HigginsMCFC

HigginsMCFC

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
After hours of trying and before I even looked at this i decided to remove windows XP and install Linux now things are working fine.
Sorry for that mate but thanks for the help!

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Linux is boring, it just works, nothing to fix :lol:

HigginsMCFC

HigginsMCFC

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Good point but XP has caused me too many problems! :blink: