Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD after editing LanManServer registry

• Please log in to reply

AmazingTrans

AmazingTrans

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
Hi Experts!,

Today I had a problem with my laptop while copying file from one laptop to another using crossover cable :"error not enough server storage is available to process this command." So I thought I found a windows solution that say edit the registry and add HKEY _Local_machine\currentcontrolset\Services \Lanmanserver \parameters.. Added this DWORD IRPSTACKSIZE with 16. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/106167

After I did that and restarted my laptop, now I get bsod and I tried all the modes (safe, safe network, etc) nothing goes into window.

I am stuck,and I can't get it to work. Any ideas what can I do?
The bsod says STOP :0X0000007B,(0XF78AA524,0X00000034,0X000000,0X000000)

Before I do a reinstall windows cd - repair mode, is there anything I can do?

I have hiren boot cd.

Hope to hear from someone.

Thanks!!!

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
It means inaccesible boot device
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324103

enter recovery console with the XP CD and run a chkdsk /p at the cmd prompt

AmazingTrans

AmazingTrans

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Mac,

I did that and it says chkdsk found one it more errors in the volume.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Run it again with a chkdsk /r in place of p
r includes p but r also means that it will attempt to recover data from bad sectors and re write to good sectors.

Then try a boot to Windows

AmazingTrans

AmazingTrans

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
I tried chkdsk /r and still to no avail. Anybody anymore solutions?

AmazingTrans

AmazingTrans

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
I tried this link
http://support.micro...b;EN-US;Q307545

Only step 1, and I am able to go back to windows, but everything is back to default without all my users and etc. Now, i believe i have a corrupted registry and not sure which one causes it.

Is it SAM, SECURITY, SOFTWARE, DEFAULT, OR SYSTEM.
I believe it is under system that is corrupted because that is the only thing I have changed since.
Does anybody know any program that can help me repair the registry or know how to review it?

Thanks.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
You "jumped the gun"

The reason I did not come back to you after I asked you to run the chkdsk /r is that I am in the UK and signed off for the night

Everything will be back to default because you have relaced the registry key. that you copied to the tmp directory, with the default registry key from the repair store by deleting the registry key that recognised all your profile etc.

There were far better solutions to try before you did this - but now those may not be available.

One of those was to use a system restore point from the recovery console.

I have no idea how far you progressed on the instructions provided on the link but having now started your only viable option is to continue.

In otherwords you did this
1.copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
which copied that registry entries to a temporary directory

2. You then deleted the entry at its original location
delete c:\windows\system32\config\system

3. You then replaced it with the entry - that was the default one created when windows was installed
copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system

PART TWO then obtains the entries from the system restore folder
In part two, you copy the registry files from their backed up location by using System Restore

That is necessary as
. Because you used the registry file that the Setup program created, this registry does not know that these restore points exist

Please do not be offended but you have as I said jumped the gun.
I suggest you work your way through the rest of the article

HOWEVER there is an overriding caveat to this - your laptop has an OEM installation and as the warning says
Warning Do not use the procedure that is described in this article if your computer has an OEM-installed operating system. The system hive on OEM installations creates passwords and user accounts that did not exist previously. If you use the procedure that is described in this article, you may not be able to log back into the recovery console to restore the original registry hives.

You can only hope that you are able to do so.

It may be worthwhile having a look and ascertaining if with the registry hives loaded from those that were created when the system was installed, you still have your usual list of restore points.
If you do, then it may be possible to select one that was BEFORE this error occurred. - the original problem

CAUTION if you have vital personal data - secure it before you try.
Had you have waited this is what I would have done before progressing after chkdsk, as however small there is always a risk

AmazingTrans

AmazingTrans

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Hi Member 5k,

Not offended at all. I should be thankful that i am getting help.
The reason i can't go to step 2 at all because my laptop before this was not setup for system restore, neither do i have any registry backup. Very unfortunate.
The repair registry is able to boot me to the windows but with everything is defaulted to basic. Therefore, I tried copying my original SAM, SECURITY, SOFTWARE, DEFAULT, except system. and I am able to boot to windows but I get a pop up box when i login windows saying "prevents Windows from checking the license : Error 0x80090019." Then i copied my old registry SYSTEM, i got back the same BSOD. This clearly tells me that SYSTEM registry is corrupted. Not sure what else i can do.
Here is a link to my corrupted system file.
https://www.dropbox....tvcz/system.bak

Hope somebody can review it. Thanks!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news but without any restore points, to use, you may not be going very far with this

I would do this

1. Boot to Puppy get your data if you need it
http://www.geekstogo...over-your-data/

2. Check the HDD to see if a failing HDD is the real cause
Seatools for Dos is a good starting point

http://www.seagate.c...loads/seatools/#

Downloads - for DOS

3. If the drive passes - personally I think you are looking at a reinstall, either from the recovery partition if it has one or from the reinstallation CD if that is what you have

AmazingTrans

AmazingTrans

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Member 5k,

The HDD is alright. I have tried testing for bad sectors, and everything seems to be fine.
And i can't do a reinstall because I use this for work and there is a lot of programs in there. I am able to narrowed down finding out system registry file is corrupted.
Do you know if there is any registry file editor that allows me to copy registry keys from one registry file to another. I want to copy each and every registry file one by one until i am able to track which one is the bad ones.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
It makes not the slightest difference really -but my name is Macboatmaster - Technician on Staff - Member 5k simply indicates that I have 5000 or more posts.

There are many ways to recover from this, both with the one you found and other easier ways, unfortunately they ALL reply in one way or another on the use of the registry key from a restore point.

Not by activating that restore point but by obtaining the key from there, which itself then returns the system back to the state it was in at the time that the registry backup was performed.

That is not a registry backup using such as ERUNT but the registry backup performed automatically when a restore point is created.

You can IMHO search all you wish, but you will not find what you are looking for.

You have, I regret to say, learnt a very hard lesson. Unfortunately it would appear to your great inconvenience.

As you use it for work, running without system restore and without a complete image backup, was a mistake - I appreciate that this is of no help to you now.

It is good news that the drive does not have bad sectors, if you are correct - clearly it did have errors in the file system as the report of the chkdsk indicated.

My guess is that your present problem is related to the caution I drew to your attention - of changing registry entries on an OEM system on my post 7.

OR it was in fact nothing to do with the registry per se but was the MBR that was corrupted and that was why it reported that the boot device was inacessible

The ONLY possibility I see now is to firstly retrieve what you can by using Puppy, that will allow you full access to everything on the drive. not of course enabling you to recover programs for reinstallation as the data that enables the program to run is installed with the program.

Then I would try HAVING reverted the changes you made in an attempt to recover - ie the registry - if you can get back to reovery console - AND if you have room on the HDD a parallel installation of windows - where if you are LUCKY - you will then be able to run the programs from that installation.

Alternatively you may consider a repair installation of Windows but that will require the same Service Pack etc as the installation that is currently installed - a repair will not work from the XP SP1 for instance to an installation of XP SP3

REPAIR Install
http://www.geekstogo...air-windows-xp/

slipstream XP SP3 to your CD - by burning copy from your CD integrated with XP SP3
http://www.nliteos.com/guide/

Parallel install
http://www.windowsre...dexfullpage.htm

AmazingTrans

AmazingTrans

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Macboatmaster,

I got it fixed. Thanks for all the help again.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Select , apparently all the current, default, good known config is set to 0x00000002 (2).
I changed it to my other settings (3) it works!

Thanks again. And yes I learnt my lessons and always will backup now on wards.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well please may I offer my congrats.

You did extremely well

Until you get your backup orgranised I would use ERUNT as a simple way of backing up your registry, besides of course trurning on system restore

http://www.larsheder...nline.de/erunt/

2. The Windows Recovery Console (Windows 2000 and higher)
Note that you can use this method only if you saved the registry
backup inside the Windows folder, and that using this procedure only
the system registry is restored. This should however get you back into
Windows, from where you can run the ERDNT program to restore user
registries, if necessary.
- Boot your system from the Windows 2000/2003/XP CD-ROM.
- At the welcome screen, press "R" (Windows 2000: "R" then "C").
- Type in the number of the Windows installation you want to repair
(usually 1), then press ENTER.
- Type in the Administrator password (leave blank if you are unsure
what it is) and press ENTER.
- At the command prompt type
cd erdnt
or whatever you named your restore folder, then press ENTER.
- If you enabled automatic registry backup on system boot during ERUNT
installation and want to restore one of these backups, type
cd autobackup <ENTER>
- If you created subfolders for different registry backups (for
example, with the different creation dates), type
dir <ENTER>
to see a list of available folders, then type
cd foldername <ENTER>
where foldername is the name of a folder listed by the dir command,
to open that folder.
- Now type
batch erdnt.con <ENTER>
to restore the system registry from that folder.
- Type
exit <ENTER>
and remove the CD from the CD-ROM drive. The system will now reboot
with the restored registry.

AmazingTrans

AmazingTrans

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Thanks macboatmaster.
Case close.