Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer monitor went blank

• Please log in to reply

catwoo

catwoo

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello,
I am new here, butreally need your help. I was using Spybot Search and destroy to scan my computer for spyware. The program Backweb lite came up as spyware. I told srybot to remove it. While Spybot was creating a backup point for my computer before it deleted backweb lite, my electricity clicked off and shut my computer off. When the electricity came back on, I was unable to get my computer to come on. The monitor is blank. The message will come up that the monitor is working properly but then just a black screen. I can put a CD in my cd drive in my tower and it spins and runs but nothing comes up on the monitor. Do you think my monitor has went out or did spybot search and destroy removing backweb lite fry my computer???
Please help----I don't want to lose everything in my computer.

Thanks,
Cathy

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Switch the monitor off completely, not to standy. Give it a minute then switch it on, do you get anything displayed on the monitor, like no signal

catwoo

catwoo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Keith,
That worked. I haven't lost anything from my hard drives. Is my monitor going out?

Thanks,
Cathy

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It is unlikely to be the monitor if it is on now. Obviously a PC can do without the electricity being cut suddenly, the monitor went out of the loop and the PC didn't know it was there, someone will probably post the technical answer.

The monitor should be OK now

Thank you for letting me know

Edited by Keith, 04 June 2005 - 03:19 PM.

catwoo

catwoo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you for helping me. :tazz: