Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Crashes When Handling large amounts of files

• Please log in to reply

AHerrera620

AHerrera620

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello,

I have been having an issue recently that whenever I attempt to process a large number of files, my computer crashes.

I am a DJ and have several programs to calculate the tempos and keys of mp3 files. Whenever I run these programs and attempt to detect the tempos for a large number of songs, the computer crashes completely. There is no blue screen or freezing, just a total shut off.

The same thing happens sometimes when I watch netflix online in HD.

I have no idea what is wrong with the computer. I have tried numerous registry cleaners, tried removing excess files, I have even monitored the temperature of the pc around crash times and it is never that high, not enough to cause a total shut down.

When the computer crashes, it goes completely black and powers off, accompanied with a high pitched beep type sound.

This problem has become extremely aggravating and I would like to find a solution.

I run windows 7 64-bit wit an intel core i3 m370 @2.4 ghz processor. I have 4 gb of ram

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Install and run WhoCrashed, it may give you a clue to what is causing the problem. Post the results here and we can help (copy / paste)

AHerrera620

AHerrera620

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks! here are the results

System Information (local)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

computer name: PZWOODS-PC
windows version: Windows 7 Service Pack 1, 6.1, build: 7601
windows dir: C:\Windows
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel® Core™ i3 CPU M 370 @ 2.40GHz Intel586, level: 6
4 logical processors, active mask: 15
RAM: 3949674496 total
VM: 2147352576, free: 1928249344

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

No valid crash dumps have been found on your computer

Conclusion

Crash dumps are enabled but no valid crash dumps have been found. It may be that there are problems which prevent crash dumps from being written out. Check out the following article for possible causes: If crash dumps are not written out.

In case your computer does experience sudden reboots it is likely these are caused by malfunctioning hardware, power failure or a thermal issue. To troubleshoot a thermal issue, check the temperature using your BIOS setup program, check for dust in CPU and motherboard fans and if your computer is portable make sure it's located on a hard surface. Otherwise it's suggested you contact the support department of the manufacturer of your system or test your system with a memory test utility for further investigation.

Check out the following articles for more information: Troubleshooting sudden resets and shut downs.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
No dumps, bummer.

You're going to have to start eliminating things to see if you can determine what the problem is.

Start with RAM. Remove half of it and see if the problem still occurs. If yes, swap the ram. If, when either set of RAM is removed, the problem does not occur then you have found the problem, replace the defective RAM.

Could also be caused by overheating. Install a program like SpeedFanand monitor the temperatures while running your software.

AHerrera620

AHerrera620

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
How do I go about getting the ram out? I have no experience with opening laptops. And as far as monitoring the temperature, what am I keeping my eye out for? I have the program but I don't know what I'm looking for or should be expecting to see or not see or what have you. Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What is the make and model number of the laptop? We should be able to find the Users Guide or Service Manual which will show you how to remove RAM. It's very easy to do. You access the RAM by removing a cover from the bottom of the laptop.

AHerrera620

AHerrera620

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hey there, sorry it took me so long to respond, I was moving into a new place and it was a bit hectic.

the model of my computer is an acer 5733

Here is the report from speedfan. It did not give me quite as much information as is displayed in your screenshot:

Attached Thumbnails

• speedfan.jpg

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Here is a link to the Quick Start Guide. It's a zip file.

It shows you the top, sides and bottom view. Bottom shows the Memory compartment. Just undo the screws holding it then remove the cover. To remove a memory module, press the retaining tabs on either side of the module away from the module then you can lift it out.

To put it back in just insert the memory then press it down until the retaining strip snap in place.

AHerrera620

AHerrera620

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I apologize for taking so long to respond. I haven't had much time to work on my laptop.

I went ahead and upgraded my memory from 4gb to 8 gb. I'm running better but still experiencing crashes. I tried to undervolt using RMclock as per a guide I found online but am able to undervolt for some reason. Any suggestions?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Not sure what you mean by Undervolt? I have never heard the term before. What does it do and why are you doing it?