Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Hanging On Startup

• Please log in to reply

Somersett

Somersett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I disabled the Eset Firewall on Saturday and activated Windows Firewall. I then rebooted several times and was always able to access Windows without the computer hanging/locking up albeit there were sometimes three, four or five second gaps between clicking on the user icon and the password box appearing. I subsequently disabled Windows Firewall and re-enabled the Eset Firewall at which time the problem returned with a vengeance ( taking three or four hard resets to gain access to Windows.) I contacted Eset Support who could not resolve the issue. At the moment, I am running MSE and Windows Firewall without any problems. Clicking the user icon at Startup nows brings up the password box instantaneously.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just as we both thought that Eset is the issue. Now is that the only thing you use Eset for is the firewall itself?

Somersett

Somersett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
No, I use the complete Security Suite ( Firewall, Anti Virus, Antispyware, Parental Control ) with the Parental Control disabled. Recommended/Standard install. I also use Malwarebytes Pro but even with it disabled/uninstalled the problem persists.

Edited by Somersett, 02 July 2012 - 07:09 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I thought the problem resolved when you disabled the Eset firewall?

I disabled the Eset Firewall on Saturday and activated Windows Firewall. I then rebooted several times and was always able to access Windows without the computer hanging/locking up albeit there were sometimes three, four or five second gaps between clicking on the user icon and the password box appearing.

At the least the firewall part of Eset is a major culprit. 3 to 4 second wait is not bad to be honest. :thumbsup:
What about disabling all of Eset and trying it then. Does the time then shorten any better?

Somersett

Somersett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Yes it was. I disabled Eset Firewall leaving the rest of the Suite ( Anti Virus; Antispyware ) running and enabled Windows Firewall. No problems at Startup although there was invariably a four, five or six second delay from clicking on the user icon until the password box appeared.

I am currently running MSE and Windows Firewall. No problem at Startup and there is no delay from clicking on the user icon until the password box appears. It is instantaneous.

It seems to me that as long as Eset Smart Security is installed and running on the computer both Firewalls ( Eset and Windows ) are experiencing issues. With Eset Firewall running, the computer hangs after the user icon is clicked and needs a hard reset. With Windows Firewall running there is a far longer delay than usual before the password box appears. I could be wrong but it seems to me that Windows Firewall is, after several seconds, finding a way around/past the issue that is causing the Eset Firewall to lock up the computer.

Edited by Somersett, 02 July 2012 - 08:05 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You should never have two firewalls running as they will cause the exact issue you are having. One firewall may let something go through and the other will not causing a slowdown as they argue which to accept.
My suggestion would be to use the Windows firewall since for the average user with default settings it does a good job especially in Win7 and Vista.

Somersett

Somersett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Apologies for the delay in replying but I had to go out for a short time.

You have misunderstood. At no time have I had two firewalls running simultaneously.

Eset Smart Security running ( Firewall; Antivirus; Antispyware with Windows Firewall disabled ) - Computer hangs/locksup on startup and needs hard reset(s.)

Eset Smart Security running with Eset Firewall disabled and Windows Firewall enabled - No problem at startup but a delay of several seconds betweeen clicking on User Icon and Password Box appearing ( i.e. similar to above but password box eventually appears.)

MSE and Windows Firewall running ( Eset Smart Security completely uninstalled from computer.) No problem at startup and no delay between clicking on User Icon and Password Box appearing.

I could be wrong but I am inclined to think that whatever is causing the computer to lockup when using Eset Smart Security is probably the same thing which is causing the delay when using Eset Smart Security with Eset Firewall disabled and Windows Firewall enabled as when I uninstall Eset Smart Security from the computer and use MSE and Windows Firewall I have no problem at startup or a delay.

I hope the above explains things better.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

MSE and Windows Firewall running ( Eset Smart Security completely uninstalled from computer.) No problem at startup and no delay between clicking on User Icon and Password Box appearing.

I would agree that Eset needs to be completely removed.

I could be wrong but I am inclined to think that whatever is causing the computer to lockup when using Eset Smart Security is probably the same thing which is causing the delay when using Eset Smart Security with Eset Firewall disabled and Windows Firewall enabled as when I uninstall Eset Smart Security from the computer and use MSE and Windows Firewall I have no problem at startup or a delay.

This is what I suggest you use now. Windows firewall and MSE should work just as good as Eset's security suite and be less stressful on system resources. I believe you have found your resolution at this point. Are you satisfied with the results you get with Windows Firewall and MSE?

Somersett

Somersett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I had hoped to find the cause of the problem so that I could continue using Eset Smart Security ( my licence does not expire until November ) but as I have been unable to do so I plan on sticking with MSE and Windows Firewall for the time being.

Please feel free to close the thread.

Thank you for your assistance.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Without knowing every little detail of what has transpired up to the issue starting I would dare to speculate that it may have been a update to Eset that caused this all to start.

Advertisements

Somersett

Somersett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I am inclined to agree with you as all the evidence points to Eset Smart Security being the problem. That said, I am not totally convinced that Eset Firewall is totally to blame for what is happening. It seems to me that Windows Firewall also has an issue while Eset Smart Security is running with Eset Firewall disabled although it appears to be able to make its way around/past the issue. Eset Support did mention HIPS?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I found this on ESET's site HERE about HIPS having to be manually started in the newer versions.

Somersett

Somersett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I uninstalled MSE, reinstalled Eset Smart Security 5 and logged into Windows without a problem. HIPS was listed as enabled on the Home Page by default ( first picture in the link you sent.) I then selected Advanced Setup ( second picture in the link.) There was a red orb adjacent to HIPS on the left hand side of the screen. Enable HIPS and Enable Self Defense boxes were already ticked by default. I unticked both boxes and rebooted the computer. Clicked on User Icon and the Password Box came up immediately. Typed in my password and entered same. The computer then hung on the Welcome Screen.

Eset Support closed at 2000 hours ( it is currently 2130 hours here in the U.K.) I will contact them in the morning to see if HIPS should have a green orb when the two boxes are enabled.

Edited by Somersett, 02 July 2012 - 02:43 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds good. Please let me know what they say as it is interesting how it worked and now it doesn't.

Somersett

Somersett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Will do.