Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive Replacement Dell Desktop.

• Please log in to reply

Lexy610

Lexy610

• PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
HI everyone .. I am looking to replace my old internal drive into my sick computer. I have never done this and need help not to mention it worries me.

I have a Dell XPS 400, Windows XP, My System Service Tag is 1BF9K91, however when I look it up on the Dell site it shows a laptop. I assure you all I have a desktop lol. Have no idea why this is the way it is. I have a Dell Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005.

The Express Service Code is 2867550661

Product Key is [removed]

I purchased the Seagate Barracuda 3.5 internal drive. Desktop PC Hard Drive. 500 SATA GB/GO, 16 MB cache, 7200 RPM. Which was what I needed for that computer.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by admin, 30 June 2012 - 12:44 AM.
removed product key

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
The first thing you have to look at is if your old HDD had a recovery partition on it or if you have a recovery CD/DVD from Dell.

If what you have is a recovery partition on your old HDD then you must realize that by putting a new HDD you will loose the ability to reinstall your OS on your new HDD using the recovery partition.

If you have recovery CD/DVD then you just have to set your BIOS to boot first from your CD/DVD and insert your recovery CD/DVD in it and start your PC and follow the instruction.

If no recovery CD/DVD then all is not lost, just borrow a CD/DVD of your OS version with the same service pack as mentionned on your Dell sticker with your product key and install your OS. The only difference is that by doing it that way, most of the default drivers that are on the recovery CD/DVD will not be install and you will need to go to the Dell website and download them manually and install them yourself.

As for your Dell XPS 400 showing as a laptop either your sticker is the wrong one (because that model is a laptop). If I was you I would try to use a program to find out the exact model of your PC. You can also try the option to Automatically detect my Service Tag for me that Dell offers to see what comes up.

Did you buy your Desktop new in a store or did you buy it secondhand from a seller or an individual.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
On my search it actually shows as a desktop
http://www.dell.com/...rs/uk/en/ukdhs1

but then for some unknown reason when you then select a sun menu item such as troubleshotting it then reverts to the image and details of a laptop

However the driver downloads include dell desktop software, so clearly the first link is correct

I appreciate that your existing OLD drive on which you were working with my colleague CompCav in the Malware forum,has bad sectors, and that is the reason for replacement.

I would try this, before you resort to starting all over again.
http://knowledge.sea...91en?popup=true

If the disk can be cloned to the new hard drive, then hopefully any errors caused by the bad sectors, MAY be recoverable, as they were on that drive when you were working with CompCav

Before you do that, I would ensure that you have your personal data backed up to your also purchased external drive.
eg your docs, images and audio files

If the Seagate image clone does not work you have not lost anything and can then go down the path of the reinstall outlined by my colleague Alzeimer

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

The first thing you have to look at is if your old HDD had a recovery partition on it or if you have a recovery CD/DVD from Dell.

I will look for this disc tomorrow. I have no idea if I still have it.

If what you have is a recovery partition on your old HDD then you must realize that by putting a new HDD you will loose the ability to reinstall your OS on your new HDD using the recovery partition.

If you have recovery CD/DVD then you just have to set your BIOS to boot first from your CD/DVD and insert your recovery CD/DVD in it and start your PC and follow the instruction.

If no recovery CD/DVD then all is not lost, just borrow a CD/DVD of your OS version with the same service pack as mentionned on your Dell sticker with your product key and install your OS. The only difference is that by doing it that way, most of the default drivers that are on the recovery CD/DVD will not be install and you will need to go to the Dell website and download them manually and install them yourself.

I am sorry but I have no idea what all of this mean :(

As for your Dell XPS 400 showing as a laptop either your sticker is the wrong one (because that model is a laptop). If I was you I would try to use a program to find out the exact model of your PC. You can also try the option to Automatically detect my Service Tag for me that Dell offers to see what comes up.

Did you buy your Desktop new in a store or did you buy it secondhand from a seller or an individual.

I did do the "automatically detect my service tag for me option" .. It came up with the same exact number I provided. I purchased my Dell directly from Dell, I called them and they helped me built it a few years ago and it was shipped with those exact stickers on it. I have never removed any of the stickers. I don't even own a laptop.

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Hi Macboatmaster .. I will try all you both suggested tomorrow night. I am just getting in from work. I hink I may have quote/replied to Alzeimer the wrong way. My multi quote option was not working.

Please bare with me. Hopefully tomorrow night after work I can begin this process. I am off on Monday and can dedicate a large amount of time reading and trying to perform this task. I also apologize posting my product key. I was unaware that someone can use it to cause harm on my pc. I am learning new things every day.

Some of the things you both said is foreign to me :(

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. As I said on my search and the link I sent it come back as a desktop

2. Do not worry about the quote etc
Actually please just quote anything you wish to highlight - quoting the whole post amkes it harder to read in many respects rather than easier.

3. Anything you have a problem with, when you mention the

Some of the things you both said is foreign to me

simply specifiy it and ask please.

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Hi I will do my best to quote more carefully .. like i said my option to multi quote was greyed out for some reason and I could not use it.

I read all that you have said and I even looked over the two links you sent about installing my new drive. I am confident I can do this but I am worried to make a mistake and ruin my new drive. I read the steps and they seem a bit confusing especially the part of the slave drive ...

I did back up all my folders in "my documents (pics, music, graphics etc etc.,) Is there anything else I can and should back up?" ... Another question will I lose all my programs? Like my word, paint shop pro (i have 3 of them installed in that pc, and many other programs that I dont think I have the disc too) Someone said I will also lose my windows and all that came with the computer ..is this true? Will I be able to get it back?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

Someone said I will also lose my windows and all that came with the computer ..is this true? Will I be able to get it back?

That someone has advised you incorrectly

IF THE clone of the drive works, you will have exactly what you have now - that is why it is called a clone.

as against the use of the recovery partition on the old drive which will revert it to factory condition or the use of the reinstall medium DVD if you had that

Please NOTE IF IT WORKS
However the overall statement that you will lose all is incorrect.

The chance of it working 100% is lessened by the evidence of the failing drive - however may I ask this - What choice do you have - and the answer is none.

If you already had a complete image backup WHEN the drive was good - and then the separate back ups of your docs etc the situation would be more guaranteed

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Ok thank you ... is there anything else I should back up?

And what is my first step. I already have the internal drive.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I am a little uncertain now as to what you mean

1. You install the new hard drive in the computer - YOU LEAVE the old hard drive in place

2. You use the Disk Wizard software in automatic mode to produce a clone of the old hard drive on the new hard drive

3. Paying attention to any warnings received you then boot to the new hard drive

4. If all is well you then AFTER checking and correcting if possible any errors on the new installation - and I am talking days here rather than hours either consign the old hard drive to the rubbish - or if you are a never throw anything away freak - you keep it - for "it may be useful one day"

5. When you are content that all is working you then ensure that you are never placed in this situation again by creating an image on the external and of course regular back-ups. Remembering that an image is a backup but a backup is not necessarily an image.

6. Whilst I am more than prepared to help all I can, I am sure you will appreciate that I cannot type out all of this, and in any case, it would be of no real benefit
http://knowledge.sea...91en?popup=true

7. If of course you need help with any particular point you only have to ask

8. Your first job is to install that new drive and if of course you do not have a SATA data cable you willl need one = motherboard to drive

9. Also note that if it fails when installing disk wizard - use it from the bootable cd instructions

10 If you are the kind of person that would rather watch the procedure on video, as well as reading on the link I sent
http://support.seaga...top/laptop.html
Note however laptop instructions - in your case you install the drive IN the computyer

11. Disk Wizard download
http://www.seagate.c...zard-master-dl/

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I have posted separately so that you do not miss the post
I am signing off - goodnight
It is 0156 here in UK
Back about 1800

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Ok I mean .. is there anything else besides my documents (ie pics, music, graphics) that I should back up onto my external drive?

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Oh and also I read the rest of your post regarding installing my new internal drive .. honestly I am a bit worried to making a big mistake :(. It's a $95 drive and would hate to ruin it because I can not afford to get another one. It took me a while to be able to afford this one, hope you understand. Is there a video you know of that can show me how to install, clone and use my new drive?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Yiou can I am sure do this.

However if you have NEVER worked inside a computer before, it is relatively easy to make a mistake and however much we want to assist you, at the end of the day, it is you that are going to have to follow the instructions on this link
http://support.euro....s.htm#wp1060547

If it does not stay on that page for the manual. as the other link here I provided
http://www.dell.com/...rs/uk/en/ukdhs1

has now reverted to inserting the service code then copy and paste that code
1BF9K91
into the box on the second link and then view the service manual

Is there any chance you can use the assistance of a knowlegable friend or acquaintance.
The job is so much easier if you are familiar with the insides of a computer and installing parts

In respect of your other question regarding is there anything else to back up, you cannot preserve programs, but they SHOULD be still working if the clone is OK

Really the question is - have you checked that on the external drive you now have what you need.

What did you use for your email system on the computer?

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
I guess i can do it on my own .. just a matter of doing it when I am home alone with no distractions from my kids, phones friends etc etc.

Yes I checked to make sure all my stuff did save to my external.

I would ask a friend for help but none of them are knowledgeable with the inside of a computer.

As far as my email .. you mean what is my email host? I use verizon, optimum and gmail. But I have it all forwarded into my incredimail ... if this makes any sense.