Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive Replacement Dell Desktop.

• Please log in to reply

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
OK ... that wouldn't be good :( could I possible installed it wrong in the CPU??

What step should I take next?

Is the drive defective? Should I return it to the manufacturer, because Staples isn't going to take it back.

Edited by Lexy610, 21 July 2012 - 06:36 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The only way to truly test it is to try it in another system and see if it is identified. If not then the drive is bad. If it is then the issue is something with your system.

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
OK I am hoping it isnt my computer because it works fine except for the failing drive :(

I went to the Seagate website and found this

http://seagatewtb.te...FAQ/168595en/#3

I read something about a "jumper" .. not sure and all this is like a foreign language to me :(

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
I GOT IT!!! It has detected the drive in BIOS!!!!!!

I am so relieved it was not the drive or my CPU!!

I moved the cables around as suggested by the seagate website and apparently it may have been either loose the connectors or plugged incorrectly!!

What is my next step? Should I proceed with the cloning?

I now went to my computer management and clicked on "disk management" and I got a pop up window called "welcome to the initialize and convert disk wizard" what do I do here? Should I proceed with this wizard or should I exit and go to clone my disk?

Edited by Lexy610, 21 July 2012 - 07:36 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

What is my next step? Should I proceed with the cloning?

Yes

I now went to my computer management and clicked on "disk management" and I got a pop up window called "welcome to the initialize and convert disk wizard" what do I do here? Should I proceed with this wizard or should I exit and go to clone my disk?

The wizard should help you setup the partition and format the drive. Once that is done the cloning can happen.

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
HI ..

I have done as your previous request .. I did the wizard and setup the partition and formatted the drive

Then I did the cloning .. it said it was successful

I then pressed any key at the end and it shut down. The cpu is presently off.

What is my next step? How do I check if it was a successful clone and how do I check it.

Do I have to disconnect the old failing drive?

Do I make my new drive the new bootable drive?

I have no idea where to go from here.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Disconnect the old drive and plug the new drive in the place where the old drive was plugged into the motherboard.
When you restart you will probably have to do the bios steps again so that it identifies the new drive as the boot drive now. Once done and if everything is cloned correctly it should boot to the new drive.

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Hi ...

I read through some of seagates info on my drive (install & uninstall) then I read the other stuff your colleague sent to me on a previous post.

I disconnected the failing drive but not from the motherboard but from the drive itself ... I then rebooted my system and went into BIOS and set up my new drive as the bootable drive and restarted my system.

It booted up nicely, smoothly with no problems at all ... and once it loaded I checked all my programs and files and everything is there and all programs seem to be working fine with no kinks or errors.

But because I didn't change the new cable and put it n the mother board where the other one was is that a problem? Everything seems to be OK ... I just checked it again a bit ago and all seems OK ...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem since you went into the bios and had it reset the drives so the new drive is the bootable drive now. Your choice if you want to leave the old drive cables connected as they won't hurt anything as long as you make sure they don't get into a fan.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Lexy610

I am so pleased this has worked for you and you have done so well, you should be very pleased with yourself. Many people, with your limited experience, would have not had the confidence to continue. WELL DONE

I thought as I said from the start that the way to go was to try the clone

What I would so now is to run a chkdsk /r on the new drive, in case the errors on the old drive caused by the bad sectors have been copied in the clone to the new drive

rshaffer61

Thanks so much for stepping in, it was impratical for me to continue, with the long working hours yesterday. I did not finish until 0400 this morning.

Advertisements

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
I secured the old cables with a clip that was already on the side of the cpu ...

What is my next step?

Is it OK to use now as my primary computer?

I ask because that was the computer I used for my 2nd job (photography) and all my editing software is in that one (hence the reason for the cloning)

My failing drive is still in it ... I just unplugged it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can remove the faulty drive if you wish and change the connectors over. You will just have to go back into the bios to make sure it puts the drive right for you. I also would like to say you have done a excellent amount of work with your abilities.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Leave it for the time being until you are completely satisfied that all is OK and copied to the new drive, then yu can take it out and consign it to the garbage., depending of course on any local regulations as to where it can go p- by way of rubbish.

If you wish to esnure that no one is going to use it to access data simply destroy it with a hammer.

I do not quite understand your question regarding the is it OK to use as primary computer, I did not know you had another computer - you just use this as you did before you came to us, and now the drive is NEW and not failing you may of course install on it whatever you wish

TYPED before the reply from my colleague became visible

EVEN if you do remove it do not throw it away until you are CERTAIN all has been copied and working correctly

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
I thank you ALL so much for all of the help and advise, guidance not to mention confidence you all provided me with!! I would NOT had been able to do it with your trust worthy advice and knowledge!!

I was extremely worried about making a mistake but I read all info provided by you all and even went to the seagate website to try to trouble shoot why my CPU was not detecting my new drive (lose connectors lol)

I have learned A LOT from you all and I am very pleased with my self as well. Thank you all again I will recommended this site to all of my friends and family you guys are ALL SWEET, PROFESSIONAL AND EXTREMELY KNOWLEDGEABLE!

If I can help anyone as you all have helped me I would be pleased and honored to do so. I too would like to extend myself as you all have done for me to others.

Macboatmaster you are the reason I learned and gained the confidence to do it .. I thank you and applaud you all. I will now perform a disk check and will update you.

BTW... Do I check automatically fix file system errors and scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors when I runt he disk check??

Edited by Lexy610, 22 July 2012 - 02:04 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Run chldslk /r and it will find, repair, recover or anything it needs to do on it's own. :thumbsup: