Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive Replacement Dell Desktop.

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I have never been a fan of Spybot or Ccleaner though others here at GTG like it. That is the nice part of this forum and you can get different sides of the equation.
I'm interested in hearing if the system has improved with speed with the uninstallation of the above programs. :unsure:

Advertisements

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Hi ... As I stated previously on my last post I uninstalled ccleaner (did not run it at all). Uninstalled Spy bot .. Is tea timer something with Spybot because I do not see it listed in the programs ... however I uninstalled ALL that was associated with Spy bot.

My computer was actually running faster and smoother with the new drive (still running fast and nice) and I only have "certain" programs start on start up

Edited by Lexy610, 24 July 2012 - 11:12 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I like ccleaner...you only have to run it about once per month...
tea timer is part of spybot so once you uninstall spybot...teatimer was gone too

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
1. CCleaner as I said is a great program, but you have Microsoft Security Essentials CCleaner automatically deletes the logs of MSE. This leads MSE to believe it is the first scan after the installation and it weill take a considerable amount of time to perform its scan.

There have also been reports that CCleaner effects the updates to MSE by having it believe it is not updated, despite the fact it is.

From CCleaner forum

I have upgrade my CCleaner to v3.08.1475. Since then I have run it twice. After running it my MSE says my pc might be unprotected because there is a long time since may last scan. Has I have it scheduled to scan my pc everyday and after both messages I have scan the PC, I have concluded that CCleaner deletes that information from MSE. Does anyone knows how to solve it?

CCleaner deletes the log files from scans made by MSSE. To disable this behavior, deselect the MS Antimalware option under Applications -> Windows

SO IN SUMMARY if you are going to run CCleaner ensure as above.

My colleague happyrock as you have seen rates CCleaner and so do I, but only if you know exactly what you are doing and DO NOT use the registry cleaner.

2. You have 1Gb ram in two sticks of 512Mb you have four slots and two slots populated. You would notice a considerable improvement if you were to increase to 2GB, if you wish to keep to the two 512MB. It is DDR2 ram Pc2-4300

http://www.crucial.c...0120724192437:s

and you do not of course even if you decide to upgrade have to buy from here, although Crucial are reliable and supply the USA you can see what you can have

3. From speccy Do you not have a dvd/cd drive

Optical DrivesNo optical disk drives detected

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Ok thank you for all the advice and sharing your experiences. I have chosen to uninstall ccleaner .. Now I understand why my MSE kept saying it needed to update no matter how many times I updated it. And it did take very long to do a scan ... Even the quick scan took over 2 hours. Since uninstalling it my scans have been much quicker and it no longer says it needs to update even after I updated.

So the rest of my programs safe to have?

Also what programs should I use as an antivirus? Is MSE best? What monthly and/or weekly maintenance should I perform on my system?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I am coming to it, give me a few minutes, please see the additions to my post above

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. OK I do not see anything else of particular note on Speccy report.

2. TWO of the most reported security risks besides the obvious of downloading torrented and P2P software which NOT always but frequently is the source of infections are failing to keep JAVA and flash player up to date, do either commission automatic updating or ensure you regularly check for updates to Java and Flash player both may be accessed from Control Panel.

These are spearate from Windows updates.

3.I use MSE on four of my computers, the other is Ubuntu (Linux) and that is a different system to Windows.

It has never let me down.

4. I have the FREE edition of Malwarebytes and I use that once a week as a scan, it does NOT provide real time protection and therefore will not clash with MSE.

I also have SuperAntiSpyware FREE edition which also does NOT provide real time protection and therefore again will not clash with MSE and I also scan with that.

Valuable advice and reviews can be found here

http://www.geekstogo...yware-software/

5. As to maintenance basically

Delete browsing history - how often depends on your usage of course of the internet.

That is on IE Safety Button delete browsing history or Tools tab on top menu bar - dlete browsing history.

DiskCleanup that is start programs accessories system tools -

I run it every two days, but then I am working the computer - you will I am sure know how often is sutiable to you.

Disk Defrag accessed same way.

Click the Analyse it is pointless defragging until it is 5% as anything less and it will be back to 5% before you know.

If it does get to over 10% you will be there all night using XP defrag

This program is a lot quicker

http://www.auslogics...efrag/download/

FREE do not use Auslogics OTHER optimizers etc.

6. Finally you MAY consider some of this useful - a short article I wrote covering this subject
http://www.geekstogo...-your-computer/

7. If you wish to try this it is an excellent small utility for guidng you as to the reputation of a website before you go to it.

WEB OF TRUST

http://www.mywot.com/en/download

It will place a small icon on the menu bar of IE.

It is green if the site is safe

yellow if there are warnings and red if it considered dangerous.

CAUTION there are of course sites to which NO WOT report exists, and therefore it cannot warn you - no matter what is on the site.

8. DO NOT FORGET that before you open email attachments, you can of course scan by right click and scan with. Malwarebytes if you have it installed. Although many email providers now offer automatic scanning with their systems

Any questions please come back.

All the best

Well done ONCE again.

I have enjoyed working with you.

Regards

Macboatmaster

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Hi Macboatmaster ....

Sorry I was reading you last post from my cell and thought I read the entire thing.

Ok you just reminded me that when I put a cd into my computer it was not reading it. I have two but neither are working now and I have no idea why. So that's why it probably isn't detecting the DVD/CD drive but I have two.

What do you mean by optical disk drive not detected?

I have no idea what you mean about #2.

I will open and check out that link once I get home as I am reading & replying from my cell.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Optical drives are DVD/CD drives

Update JAVA

http://www.java.com/...java_update.xml

Update Flash

http://www.macromedi...elp/help10.html

WHY

3) Keep your web browser plugins and other programs updated also.
Programs such as Java, Adobe Flash Player and Adobe Reader, Internet Explorer, and other such web-exposed items are vulnerable to attack, which can quickly lead to an infected system no matter what protection you currently have installed. These items are often exploited by hackers hoping to gain control over your machine. By updating these programs as necessary, you will greatly reduce your exposure to dangerous internet threats.

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Hi Macboatmaster ...

I do not know how to "quote multiple" things in a post so I am going to copy and paste, hope that is OK..

OK I would love to purchase the CT482733 2GB kit (1GBx2), 240-pin DIMM ... however it isn't giving me an option to select USA or New York so I am getting the VAT of another place. I do not understand if anyone can help me with checkout I would appreciate it.

Can you use the following together? MSE, Ubuntu & SuperAntiSpyware? You stated you used them but do you have them all on the same system and use them on the same system?

The link you provided "http://www.geekstogo...ware-software/" is broken ..does not open.

I have updated my Java & Flash a few days ago and checked again right now and all seems to be updated ... however my DVD/CD player are not working. :( I'm I doing something wrong?

Also lastly ..I have the program Scripts... I absolutely hate it lol. I do not know how to use it and it prevents me from logging on to geeks to go, facebook, and my graphic forum and other sites .. should I uninstall it? The other program I have that I do not know how to use it WinPatrol (scotty little black dog)

Should I keep FileHippo.com Update checker?

Thanks for all of your help really.... I would not know what I would of done with you and geeks to go ...

Edited by Lexy610, 25 July 2012 - 12:40 PM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

Can you use the following together MSE, Ubuntu & SuperAntiSpyware

YES

. I have the FREE edition of Malwarebytes and I use that once a week as a scan, it does NOT provide real time protection and therefore will not clash with MSE.

I also have SuperAntiSpyware FREE edition which also does NOT provide real time protection and therefore again will not clash with MSE and I also scan with that.

BUT UBUNTU is not involved that is an operating system not protection. I confused you by saying I use the above on all my computers except the Ubuntu one

LINK replaced

Which program is Scripts please. I presume you do not mean the warning there is a script running

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/175500

Re File hippo update checker. No harm, keep it if you wish. I personally do not use such programs, but for you, without in any manner insulting you it is perhaps best to be informed if it sees an update as necessary.

I would always advise that you verify the update is for your system, by checking directly at the source, rather than simply accepting it.

The CD/DVD issue will have to wait tonight, as I am too busy to deal with it.

Other than to say, is it seen in device manager

Is there any chance you have disturbed a connection whilst connecting and disconnecting the HDD`s

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ubuntu is a Linux based OS. You would not use that unless you are setting up a multiple boot system.
I myself would not recommend you get involved in that right now till you have everything running correctly and you are ready to learn a new OS from the ground up.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I think I can say that Lexy610 was mistaken, thinking that it was a protection program - possibly my error

.I use MSE on four of my computers, the other is Ubuntu (Linux) and that is a different system to Windows.

However in case I am wrong, I agree totally with my colleague rshaffer61 - do not even consider it.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

The other program I have that I do not know how to use it WinPatrol (scotty little black dog)

pretty simple but since you don't know how to use it remove it...

File hippo update checker

I use this program because my system doesn't let any program check for updates...
probably not the right setting for you until your a little farther along techwise...

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Hi ...

I have decided to use MSE & SuperAntiSpyware on my system after reading everyone's thoughts and advise.

Also .. can someone help me with the check out with the 2GB RAM .. from here .... http://www.crucial.c...0120724192437:s ...

Top one with the 2GB??

I have a question ... I have 1GB RAM in two sticks of 512MB ... so do I purchase the first one which is 2 sticks (recommended upgrade)OR do I just buy the one below it which is another 1GB since I already have 1GB in my system so then there will be 2GB?

The script program I am referring to is a capital "S" with a red circle around it and a line thru it ... Ill post a pic of it in a few

Edited by Lexy610, 27 July 2012 - 02:45 PM.