Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive Replacement Dell Desktop.

• Please log in to reply

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

you can get rid of it by clicking on tools...add-ons...then click on disable or remove...

I went to tools, add-ons .. it isnt there to disable or remove ...

DISREGARD I FOUND IT AND DISABLED IT .. THANK YOU :)

Edited by Lexy610, 26 July 2012 - 10:50 PM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I have not read this whole thread so if this has already been asked please forgive me...

have you looked in the bios to see if your optical drives are seen by the bios and they are enabled
also enable boot logging instead of showing the logo...
that way when you first boot up you can see what the bios is seeing in the list on the screen

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Where in BIOS would it be? And would it be listed as optical drives?

Also I do not understand nor know what you mean by enable boot logging. How do I do this?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
In the bios look for the area that shows all your drives listed. There it should list your hard drive and then you optical drive. it may not be marked as optical but as a dvd or cdrom drive.
To enable boot logging go to the Advanced boot menu usually by clicking F8 during the first couple of post screens. This is where you go to get to Safe Mode. In the list you will see the enable boot logging option. Highlight it and then click Enter. The system will boot like normal except you will be able to see everything as Happyrock has suggested. :thumbsup:

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
It is as my colleague says in the BIOS setup screen

Drives

Diskette Drive

Enables and disables the floppy drives and sets read permission for the internal floppy drive. Off disables all floppy drives. USB enables the USB floppy drive. Internal (the default setting) enables the internal floppy drive. Read Only enables the internal drive controller and allows the internal floppy drive read-only permission.

NOTE: Operating systems with USB support will recognize USB floppy drives regardless of this setting.

SATA Drives 0 through 3
That was where you went to commission the new hard drive

Enables or disables a SATA device (such as a hard-drive). On (the default setting) enables the interface so that the device can be used.

Displays the Controller type (SATA), Port number the drive is using, Drive ID number, Capacity, Link Speed, and whether the drive is controlled by the BIOS.

PATA Drives 0 through 1
Is the DVD and C/D drive connected PATA that is the flat ribbon cable OR SATA that is the smaller cable normally red with the black connections.

Enables or disables an ATA device (such as a CD or DVD drive). On (the default setting) enables the interface so that the device can be used.

Displays the Controller type (ATA), Port number the drive is using, Drive ID number, Capacity, Link Speed, and whether the drive is controlled by the BIOS.

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Good afternoon everyone ...

I went into BIOS and then to drives ... I went to PATA Drives 0 through 1 and they were both turned off so I turned them both on and once my system booted I can see them both ... so apparently I may have turned them off accidentally ...

I noticed my system is no longer running smoothly :( .. it delays and freezes (or crashes)

I also wanted to mention that last night I ran Auslogic Disk Defrag and it said it found 753 junk files and recommended I d/l "Auslogic Boost Speed" to clean & defrag my disks in a proper sequence. I DID NOT d/l it ... should I??

Edited by Lexy610, 27 July 2012 - 11:51 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I also wanted to mention that last night I ran SuperAntiSpyware and it said it found 753 junk files and recommended I d/l "Auslogic Boost Speed" to clean & defrag my disks in a proper sequence. I DID NOT d/l it ... should I??

NO with a very loud yell. Do not install any other program from Auslogics unless instructed.
Junk files can be taken care of using TFC because it will not touch the registry which is what most of these miracle programs will look at. Most of what they find is orphaned files and they are not hurting anything by sitting there.

Run TFC and then Auslogics Defrag and let us know if the speed improves and if you can more specifics on the crashes themselves.

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Whats TFC and where do I get it?

Once I finished working in BIOS and tried to go into my d/l folder (in my documents) it froze then it shut down and took me back to my desk top. That happened twice .. but it kept freezing ... I just turned my system back on and it loaded nicely again and it allowed me to go into my doc, d/l folder w/o a problem .. however .. once in a folder it takes a little while to show its contents .. it used to not do that, and if I pan down to fast it freezes

Edited by Lexy610, 27 July 2012 - 12:25 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Background info courtesy of DonnaB Thank you

As for TFC, this is a tidbit of an article I found a while back by a MicroSoft MVP.

TFC (Temp File Cleaner) will clear out all temp folders for all user accounts (temp, IE temp, java, FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari), including Administrator, All Users, LocalService, NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder. It also cleans out the %systemroot%\temp folder and checks for .tmp files in the %systemdrive% root folder, %systemroot%, and the system32 folder (both 32bit and 64bit on 64bit OSs). It shows the amount removed for each location found (in bytes) and the total removed (in MB).

Before running, it will stop Explorer and all other running applications. When finished, if a reboot is required the user must reboot to finish clearing any in-use temp files.
-- TFC only cleans temp folders.
-- TFC will not clean URL history, prefetch, or cookies. Depending on how often someone cleans their temp folders, their system hardware, and how many accounts are present, it can take anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or more. TFC will completely clear all temp files where other temp file cleaners may fail.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Lexy610

I am pleased you sorted the dvd cd drive -

Re the junk files and auslogics - I agree DO NOT use the other programs

In fact I already said so in my post when I replied to what else do I need to do to maintain

If it does get to over 10% you will be there all night using XP defrag

This program is a lot quicker

http://www.auslogics...efrag/download/

FREE do not use Auslogics OTHER optimizers etc.

Whats TFC and where do I get it?

and also from my same post - 82

6. Finally you MAY consider some of this useful - a short article I wrote covering this subject
http://www.geekstogo...-your-computer/

and when you do get chance that article also includes the link to TFC and some other advice you may find useful

Advertisements

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
I ran TFC and it cleaned up a bunch of stuff and rebooted. Its running much better and smoothly ...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you run Auslogics Defrag after TFC?

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
just finished running it says at bottom again Advice: Clean Up Disks ... and recommending that same program.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It will alwsy say that because they want you to buy their product. I don't think you have anything to worry about per my response about what it most likely finding.

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Oh OK true that makes sense thank you!

Can someone help me now with my purchase I mentioned in my post .. post #85 & my question about it on post #90?.

I am very patient and I'm willing to wait for who ever has the time to help me :)

Thanks <3