Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive Replacement Dell Desktop.

• Please log in to reply

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Hi Macboatmaster ..

I just read your last post. Sorry I didn't see it until I refreshed my page ... Thank you so much for all the help you and the others have provided me.

I have learned a lot.

Edited by Lexy610, 27 July 2012 - 02:24 PM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I am working on it and will post

While you are waiting please do read my link on the article I wrote and my post 82.

If you use disk cleanup and disk defrag = the Windows defrag when the drive is 5% or more, those are perfectly OK - you only need Auslogics when the drive for some reason reaches closer to 10% as then the windows defrag will take ages.

Defrag on XP is not as good as the defrag on 7, but it is still more than adequate if used as I recommend - at least that is my opinion, some people will disagree, but you will always get a difference of opinion.

There is a view held by some that XP defrag does not defrag the Master File table, others say that it does. Whatever the correct answer is, I firmly beileve that more problems are caused by running optimizers, make it go faster programs and the like, than are ever caused by ONLY using windows defrag.

Note please, so that you do not think I am repeating the advice this was being typed before your last post appeared

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just to add to what Mac just posted especially when it comes to Registry Cleaners.

A registry cleaner will not increase your system's speed or performance, and has the potential to break your registry to the point that your PC is no longer bootable.
We strongly advise that people stay away from any of the registry cleaners out there.
Go HERE to get more information about why registry cleaners aren't needed.

Thanks to Sari for the explanation

Just a note: Before attempting to clean or fix any registry you should always make a backup of it first just in case something goes wrong.

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
@ Macboatmaster ...

I am reading what you provided at your link as we speak ..

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Re the ram

http://www.crucial.com/

and re the last from my good colleague rshaffer61, who indeed was very much my mentor and tutor on this site, you will see that we both hold the same opinion, as this is an extract from my article

2. DO NOT INSTALL "GO FASTER", "OPTIMIZE" or "TWEAKING" - programs
When you connect to the internet, you will no doubt notice, various adverts offering VITAL programs to download to ensure your computer is "tuned to run as fast as possible", or warning you of the dangers of not cleaning the registry and offering this fantastic program that will do all of this and MORE.

Whether you are the novice user, or reasonably experienced the advice is quite simply - do NOT install these programs. They are frequently useless, sometimes dangerous to the health of your computer and often, little more than a scam. The scam programs will inform you that your computer is infected with a virus and has hundreds or thousands of errors. What started with a FREE examination of your computer can now only proceed when this fantastic program is purchased. If you now realise, that it is extremely unlikely that your new computer has all these errors, you may be extremely disappointed to find that continual Pop-ups interrupt you and remind you that you MUST buy the program to resolve your problems. If, this happens, it is time to come back to this site and ask for help.

One of the most common causes of problems on your computer is these registry cleaning programs.
See this link for the opinion of an accepted expert.

http://miekiemoes.bl...weaking_13.html

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Yes .. I was there but had a question on post #90 is what I am wondering also ...

Is this the correct one?

http://www.crucial.c...=Dimension 9150

My question from post 90 was as follows .... I have a question ... I have 1GB RAM in two sticks of 512MB ... so do I purchase the first one which is 2 sticks (recommended upgrade)OR do I just buy the one below it which is another 1GB since I already have 1GB in my system so then there will be 2GB?

I am sorry to keep pestering but this is new to me as well ..Ive never purchased RAM before :(

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Sorry my error looked at the one saying you could not get to USA

I will post in a few minutes re which -

Here you are

Your computer can take a max of 4Gb of ram.

XP 32 bit that you have will see a max of 3.2 Gb ram

You have as you say two sticks of 512Mb

I cannot remember now which memory speed that is, but the computer will only allow ram to work at the speed of the slowest stick

YOU will not notice any difference between memory speeds. That is the speed at which the write read occurs when data is written to the ram

The best answer if you are going to buy from crucial is THIS

http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner

as they guarantee that their recommendation will work otherwise they change it without question.

I suspect that they will recommend the 2 x 1Gb and keep your two 512

SO if you buy the 2 x 1GB you put that matched pair in one channel which is DIMM 1 & 2 white clips and the other pair of 512 Mb in DIMM 3 and 4 which is black clips

ALL of this is explained in the manual to which I sent you the link very early on in this topic

http://support.dell....s.htm#wp1058068

PLUS I thought it was an XPS400

I have a Dell XPS 400

which is slightly different to the 9150 I believe

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
just some more info on Defragging XP...the only way to get the built in defragger is to use it in safe mode or it will at the minimum take lots of hours like overnite sometimes or never actually complete because of things like screensaver or desktop picture changer kicking in restarting the whole mess again...in short use a free aftermarket defragger

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

.in short use a free aftermarket defragger

Auslogics? :ph34r: :whistling:

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
OK I am very confused :(

I thought I had a XPS400/Dimension 9150 ..

so I am very confused as to what you mean by ....

"PLUS I thought it was an XPS400"??? AND "which is slightly different to the 9150 I believe"

I ran the scanner on my system and it is recommending the 2GB kit 91GB x2) ... so I should buy that one, instead of another 1GB to make it 2GB which is whats co fusing me :confused:

Edited by Lexy610, 27 July 2012 - 06:23 PM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
My advice go with the scan results.

If you can easily spend the extra buy the 2 x 1Gb

If you see the computer as very short term until you upgrade either save a few $ by buying just the 1Gb or indeed depending on how long you see it as still being used stay with what you have

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
If I may barge in, after reading the manual of the XPS400 they say to only installed matched pair of memory modules (so 2 or 4 memory stick) unless I did not read correctly if you add only another 1 stick og 1gb to the 2 stick of 512mb your system might not start so it would be recommended to either add the 2 x 1gb or 2 x 512mb to your already 2 x 512mb sticks.

Also if your current memory modules are the original Dell modules please take notice of this warning in the manual.

NOTICE: If you remove your original memory modules from the computer during a memory upgrade, keep them separate from any new modules that you may have, even if you purchased the new modules from Dell. If possible, do not pair an original memory module with a new memory module. Otherwise, your computer may not start properly. You should install your original memory modules in pairs either in connectors DIMM_1 and DIMM_2 or connectors DIMM_3 and DIMM_4.

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Thank you both (and all actually) for all of your help and advice. I did run the scan on my system and it recommended the 2GB (2x1GB) for my system, so I shall go with that.

Now I am looking where they will go and I see the (4 sticks in there) .. One in each with the white clips and one in each of the black clips. When I get the new 2GB RAM sticks ... will it show me where to put each stick?

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Use these instruction to place your dimms

[attachment=59259:untitled.JPG]

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Alzeimer

Thanks for your contribution.

Lexy610

The link I included on my post 127 is to the manual installing hardware and click the memory link, it will take you to the same image Alzeimer has provided you with.

Ideally, in the perfect world you would insert 4 sticks of exactly matched memory..

When you receive the 2 x 1Gb sticks insert 1 x 1Gb in each of the slots with white clips.

Insert the two sticks of 512 in each of the slots with black clips

The chances are that it will work and you will have 3Gb of ram.

If it does not, then post back and we will sort it out for you.

This may help BUT read all the instructions on the link. Anti static precautions and how to insert the sticks

The recommended memory configurations are:

• A pair of matched memory modules installed in connectors DIMM_1 and DIMM_2 (WHITE CLIPS)
or

• A pair of matched memory modules installed in connectors DIMM_1 and DIMM_2 and another matched pair installed in connectors DIMM_3 and DIMM_4 (DIMM 3 and 4 BLACK CLIPS)