Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop won't boot - Blue screen with stop error

• Please log in to reply

warmdontburn

warmdontburn

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I have a Toshiba P20 laptop running XP and this morning when I went on it was froze on preparing to standby... it stayed like that for about an hour so I shut it down. When I went to reboot I saw the blue screen flash and it restarted again. When I select start normally it goes to the black windows screen where the loading bar scrolls across but the bar stops and that is as far as it goes, When I click safe mods all the files scroll on the screen but again nothing happens. If I check last known config the screen tries to go to the windows screen but it's like it is faded out and again nothing happens. No action at all from the hard drive.

Since I can boot up I am not sure what to try. The error I get is:

STOP: c0000218 [registry file failure] The registry cannot load the hive (file)\systemroot\system32\config\software or its log or alternative.

I did have this same issue a month or so ago but it just eventually started up.
Now no such luck :(

TIA for any and all help :)

Advertisements

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
Hi, warmdontburn, I'll help you out as best I can with your issue. As I still need to have my fixes approved by an expert before they are posted in this section, please expect a bit of delay with some of my responses here.

I'll let you know soon what to do next.

warmdontburn

warmdontburn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thank you.

I have been doing some internet searches and most say that I need the windows disk. I have NO idea where mine would even be. Not sure if it can be done without it or not but that is where I stand now.

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
Hi, warmdontburn.

Try this please. You will need a USB drive.

Download GETxPUD.exe to the desktop of your clean computer.
  • Run GETxPUD.exe.
  • A new folder will appear on the desktop.
  • Open the GETxPUD folder and click on the get&burn.bat.
  • The program will download a .iso file for xPUD and, upon completion, will open BurnCDCC ready to burn the image.
  • Click on Start and follow the prompts to burn the image to a CD.
  • Next download rst.sh to your USB drive.
  • Remove the USB & CD and insert each into the sick computer.
  • Boot the sick computer with the CD you just burned.
  • The computer must be set to boot from the CD.
  • See How to Set BIOS to Boot from CDROM for information on how to boot from the CD.
  • Follow the prompts.
  • A Welcome to xPUD screen will appear.
  • Press File.
  • Expand mnt.
  • sda1,2...usually corresponds to your HDD.
  • sdb1 is likely your USB.
  • Click on the folder that represents your USB drive (find out which folder corresponds to it by checking its contents).
  • Confirm that you see rst.sh that you downloaded there.
  • Press Tool at the top.
  • Choose Open Terminal.
  • Type bash rst.sh.
  • Press Enter.
  • After it has finished a report will be located on your USB drive named enum.log.
  • Remove the USB drive and insert it back in your working computer and navigate to enum.log.

Please note - all text entries are case sensitive.

Copy and paste the enum.log for my review.

warmdontburn

warmdontburn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thank you. The computer I am on now has no cd drive so I will have to wait until I can get to one that does have. Just wanted to let you know if I don't get back to you asap that I still need your help :)

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
No worries. Do you have an available USB drive to format and boot from? Try the following (thanks to CompCav for providing me with this speech):

Download http://unetbootin.so...dows-latest.exe & http://noahdfear.net.../xpud-0.9.2.iso to the desktop of your working computer.

•Insert your USB drive (make sure it doesn't have important personal data in it)

•Press Start > My Computer > right click your USB drive > choose Format > Quick format

•Double click the unetbootin-xpud-windows-387.exe that you just downloaded

•Press Run then OK

•Select the DiskImage option then click the browse button located on the right side of the textbox field.

•Browse to and select the xpud-0.9.2.iso file you downloaded

•Verify the correct drive letter is selected for your USB device then click OK

•It will install a little bootable OS on your USB device

•Once the files have been written to the device you will be prompted to reboot ~ do not reboot and instead just Exit the UNetbootin interface

•After it has completed do not choose to reboot the clean computer simply close the installer.

[*]Next download rst.sh to your USB drive.
[*]Remove the USB insert it into the sick computer.
[*]Boot the sick computer with the USB drive you just burned.
[*]The computer must be set to boot from the USB drive.
[*]See How to Set BIOS to Boot from CDROM for information on how to boot from the CD and use the same concpet to find out how to boot from USB. Let me know if you need help here.
[*]Follow the prompts.
[*]A Welcome to xPUD screen will appear.
[*]Press File.
[*]Expand mnt.
[*]sda1,2...usually corresponds to your HDD.
[*]sdb1 is likely your USB.
[*]Click on the folder that represents your USB drive (find out which folder corresponds to it by checking its contents).
[*]Confirm that you see rst.sh that you downloaded there.
[*]Press Tool at the top.
[*]Choose Open Terminal.
[*]Type bash rst.sh.
[*]Press Enter.
[*]After it has finished a report will be located on your USB drive named enum.log.
[*]Remove the USB drive and insert it back in your working computer and navigate to enum.log.

Please note - all text entries are case sensitive.
[/list]
Copy and paste the enum.log for my review.

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
Oops, I apologize for the layout. I added the second half myself to the canned provided to me, and I forgot to edit it properly.

warmdontburn

warmdontburn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I am going to give this a go tonight...Sorry for the delay my father passed away on the 5th so we have been a bit preoccupied.

Now just to clarify this will NOT delete anything on my hard drive? Pictures of my father are on there and I need those.

thanks.

warmdontburn

warmdontburn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
It won't boot from either...It is like it just skips right over it.

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
Hi, warmdontburn. Sorry about your father.

Your data should be safe. So no problem in this case. If you want, as soon as I figure out how to get you to boot outside of Windows, I'll help you back up your photos) and other important data) first thing before anything else.

Now just one question:

Do you know how to get into the BIOS setup screen of your computer and check the priority list for its boot devices?

If not, let me know.

Advertisements

warmdontburn

warmdontburn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Yes and it is set to where it is suppose to be. I tried to boot from removable device and CD but neither works, it just keeps looping likes it is bypassing it.

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
Sorry for the delay in response. How confident are you in safely removing the hard drive and connecting it elsewhere? If you're not, do you know someone (a friend or relative) who would?

warmdontburn

warmdontburn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Wow sorry for the delay. The computer in question is up and running however it is still not ok. I just got it back up today and when I restarted I saw the quick blue screen and it loop once again, after the 2nd attempt it booted up but I want to fix it while I am on here.

Any help you can provide would be great.

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
Did you back up all the photos to another storage medium?

How did you get it up and running by the way?

warmdontburn

warmdontburn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I am backing everything up now!
My husband ran a checkdisk and it took a very long time..lots of bad spots.