Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

video/motherboard problem. i need help ASAP!

• Please log in to reply

coviatt

coviatt

• Pip
  • 6 posts
my computer has been making beeps that someone said could be a motherboard or video problem. i have not ran any tests and i have an hp pavillion dv52074dx. i have windows 7 64 bit and intel core i3 proccessor and i have a screen that looks broken but all that happened when it started to look broken is i accidentally bumped the lid of my laptop on the wall lightly. i cant feel or see any type of crack or damage on the screen when it is off. all i can see when it is on is a big black spot in the left corner and what looks like a crack where the black spot ends and multicolered lines on the rest of the screen the lines and the black spots are always rapidly flashing when the screen is on. the only way i can use my computer is if i connect an external monitor. i have not got any error codes. i did have a quick blue screen that said memory dump one time before. i also have 4 gb memory.
I NEED HELP ASAP!!!

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go

When in relation to the screen problem was the BSOD you mention - one time before.

I am certain that you can safely presume that the current problem is the bang against the wall - however lightly - of the laptop lid - you have likely damaged the LCD display
If it was a case of the connection to the screen being dislodged I would expect it to effect the whole screen and similarly an inverter problem would have the same effect.. Not localised with the black spot in the left corner.

The backlight, if that was damaged, would simply produce a very indistinct dark image.

If it was the video card or onboard graphics the EXTERNAL monitor would also display the fault.

This may help, you to understand the likely cause
Troubleshoot Your Laptop Screen Problem
Before you decide to go ahead and outright replace your laptop screen, it is wise to troubleshoot the problem. While obvious damage to a screen will usually require full replacement, other types of damage that are visible on the laptop screen may not be due to the screen itself. This is why before you replace the screen, definitely troubleshoot the problem.

Pixel Problems
Many times pixels will be damaged on your laptop making your screen very difficult to read and use. Your laptop uses LCD (liquid crystal display) to show images, these images are made from thousands of pixels (little dots). If a few pixels in one area are damaged, this can ruin your entire computing experience. In most cases, it is best to remove the entire laptop screen and replace it with a new one.

Laptop Screens with Faint Images
Laptop screens are back lit to improve visibility of your screen. However, sometimes the back light does not work making your screen extremely difficult to read. A common problem might be as simple as one of the latches is stuck in the closed position. For instance, if you opened your laptop, but the switch stayed stuck in the closed position, the computer will usually be on, but the backlight will remain off. First find the back lightswitch. These switches are usually very tiny and located near the laptop hinges.

Your laptop Screen Flickers or is a Solid White Color
If your laptop screen flickers on and off, the cause is probably due to an inverter problem. The inverter supplies power to the screen's backlight. .If your laptop screen is a solid white color, then the problem is possibly a bad cable connection between the monitor and the system board. Open up your laptop and make sure that the cables and connections are set correctly and undamaged.

Images on Screen are Jumbled
Many times laptop users will see images that are all jumbled. In most cases this is not due to the screen itself, but possibly the video card. One quick way to determine whether or not it is your monitor thatis causing the screen to be jumbled is to connect another monitor to your laptop using the VGA port. If the other monitor shows jumbled images, then it is probably your computer' s video card and not the monitor.

Replacing Your Laptop Screen
If your image problem is due to a broken or malfunctioning laptop screen replacing it is fairly easy.

coviatt

coviatt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
how can i find the screen i need to replace my screen

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
1, The manual
http://h10032.www1.h...l/c02666786.pdf

and in case the link does not work the link to HP
http://h10025.www1.h...lion-DV5-2074DX

Note this is not an easy job, it involves small parts, plastic clips that are easily broken and care is required.

As to WHERE, you really are best just searching the web and comparing the offers available to you in your area

http://www.google.co...iw=1280&bih=819

IT IS VITAL that you ensure you are purchasing the correct screen. There are matt finish screens and glossy screens.
It is also vital that you ensure that it is the screen and not a dislodged component behind the screen or indeed the backlight or onverter albeit the evidence we have does not point to the inverter

PLEASE be careful.

Unfortunately this sort of problem cannot really be resolved on a site and requires physical examination of the computer

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you have a repair shop in town around you it might be worth the little extra to purchase the correct screen and then ask the shop to install it. This way if something is broken they would be responsible for the damaged parts they cause. :thumbsup:

coviatt

coviatt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
is bestbuy a good place to take it?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Personally I hate the Geek Squad. I see a lot of horror repairs they have done on folks systems. Their favorite resolution is to format and reinstall your OS system resulting in the loss of all your data.

coviatt

coviatt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
why would they do bad repairs since the fact that they do bad repairs would make it so they would not get as many customers and if they would do good repairs they would probably get alot more customers than they would if they do bad repairs that is dumb to do bad repairs and get fewer customers.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm not saying they are all bad but I deal with a lot of their repair work here at GTG and they just don't impress me as a very knowledgeable group. Yours may be different and are honest and do good work.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 27 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.