Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

GateWay M685 E Laptop Ram

• Please log in to reply

Rascle53

Rascle53

• PipPip
  • 89 posts
I have 2 Gateway 685E laptops and a hp cq 215dx. I ordered 4g ram modules for each to upgrade. The 4g module worked in the hp,hoever the single module does not owrk in either of my Gateways, its the same ram that was in it only 4g instead of 1g. ddr2 pc2-5300S 667MHz.
I trued all of the ram modules in the hp and they worked fine, so i know its not the ram. I went to Gateway website an checked, it says

"■533 and 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
■Dual Channel
■Two 200-pin SODIMM Sockets on Motherboard
■Both End-User Accessible
■Expandable to 4 GB 533 or 667 MHz DDR2"

Does the "dual Channel" mean it only works with dual channel ram and not a single ram module?
Rascle

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
A little research and the issue is that each slot in the Gateways can only handle 2 gigs each as shown below.

Memory Type: DDR2 PC2-5300, DDR2 (non-ECC)
Maximum Memory: 4GB
Slots: 2
Each memory slot can hold DDR2 PC2-5300 with a maximum of 2GB per slot.*

You would have to exchange the ram for 2 X 2 gig sticks for a total of 4 gigs for each laptop in order for it to work correctly.

Rascle53

Rascle53

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
thats what i was thinkin it ment when i read it, but i didnt see the "only 2gigs per slot" I thank ya for helpin me with my screwup,
much appreciated ,,
have a great 4th of july :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are very welcome and a happy 4th to you also. I hope you get it resolved soon :thumbsup: