Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Router Gives Out Wrong IP Address

• Please log in to reply

aj127

aj127

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello. I'm going to try to be as thorough as possible in order to make this easier for someone. Please forgive the very long explanation.

Here is my setup:

1 desktop with Windows XP with a wired connection going to my router
1 laptop with Windows 7 connected wirelessly to the router
My router is a Netgear WGR614v9

I live in Washington state. I'm trying to figure out why my IP address gives me a location 500 miles away, in a different state (Medford, OR). It does not create any problems whatsoever, and I normally wouldn't care, but I'm trying to sign up for MLBTV which blacks out certain games I want in that specific area. So I'd really like to be able to get an IP address that is close to me, which will in turn give me the games I want. I hope that makes sense, I can explain further if necessary.

So what I've tried so far is this. I disconnected the router completely, hooked up my desktop to the cable modem directly, and looked up the IP address that way. This gives me a completely different IP address than when I have my router hooked up. It also happens to give me an IP address that is much closer and would work for my MLBtv situation. Once I hook up the router, it gives me that same IP address, 500 miles away and in a different state.

Here is the site where MLB tells you what your IP address is and whatnot: http://mlb.mlb.com/m...VREDIR#blackout

On that site, if I put in my zip code, it gives me the correct information on what teams will be blacked out. However, if I look up my IP with them, it gives me information stating I am in Oregon. That causes problems with blackouts in that market.

Okay, so one last thing. We took a trip down to Los Angeles a year ago and on the way, we happened to stay at a hotel in that same specific city where my IP address location is (Medford, OR). We used our laptop at the hotel and used their Wi-Fi. When we returned back home to Washington, it just so happened that sites like Facebook would tell us we were in Medford, OR when we were obviously not. Did us using the wi-fi in the hotel with our laptop cause us to somehow get an IP address from that location? Or is this just a huge coincidence? I see absolutely no way how this could happen, but it's such a strange coincidence.

Bottom line, when I hook up my computer directly to the cable modem, I get one IP. That IP, when looked up, is nearby me. When I hook up my computer to a router, it gives me another IP. That IP, when looked up, is 500 miles away in a town where we stayed at once. I need the the IP that my modem gives me in order to watch certain games on MLBtv. If I used my router, MLBtv will use that IP address and black out games I want to watch. How do I set my router to give me the correct IP address? I've tried restarting the router to factory setting and it didn't work. Anyone have an idea of what I can try? I will greatly appreciate any help or tips.

Advertisements

aj127

aj127

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have been doing a bit of searching and I have a couple things to add. I've looked up my IP address location on different sites, some say it's correctly in my city, others say it's in Medford, OR. According to http://www.ipaddresslocation.org/ it guesses correctly, but what I found interesting is that under "My Hostname (DNS Lookup)" it says, "*IPADDRESS*.static.mdfd.or.charter.com". As in, Medford, OR. Is this significant? Does this "DNS Lookup" or "hostname" thing make MLB's IP finder think I'm in Oregon?

Thank you very much, I really appreciate your time.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
You need to contact your ISP and ask them about it. There is nothing you can do from your end.

aj127

aj127

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thank you so much for responding. I will give that a try.