Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows 7 not genuine

• Please log in to reply

Gauze

Gauze

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
im getting an error at startup about ntvdm64.dll and i can't change my product key. windows 7 64 sp1. it just says its not genuine anymore. I've tried all sorts of things and can't figure it out. please help me. thanks.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here for How to contact a Microsoft Product Activation Center by phone...
if its a legitimate key they will give you a new key code

Gauze

Gauze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
I can't even try to change the key. I click change product key and i get an error saying slui.exe the version of this file not compatible with the version of windows im running

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
call the phone number in the link I provided and explain the problem to MS...I have done this many times and explained that I changed out x...y and z components and thats why the validation would fail...as long as its the same mobo processor and NIC there was no problem getting them validated

Gauze

Gauze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
I can't get to those screens. I haven't found a number to call. I think a trojan virus corrupted a lot of the system files. That and maybe the activation update that everyone seems to be having trouble with.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Run System File Checker, see if it finds and fixes damaged or missing system files:

How to run System File Checker (SFC) from a Command Prompt
For Vista and Windows 7 only:
  • Click on Start, type command prompt.
  • Right click on Command Prompt at the top of the window and select Run as Administrator.
For XP only:
  • Click on Start, All Programs, Accessories.
  • Click on Command Prompt
For XP, Vista and Windows 7:
  • In the Command Prompt Window, type (or copy and paste) sfc /scannow and press Enter.
Vista and Windows 7 tell you if there were and problems, XP does not. You can examine the SFC results as follows:

Open a Command Prompt (does not have to be as Administrator):
  • Type (or copy and paste) findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetails.txt and press Enter.
  • Type (or copy and paste) notepad sfcdetails.txt and press Enter.

How to run System File Checker (SFC) or chkdsk from the Recovery Console
  • Boot your Vista or Windows 7 installation DVD
  • When you see "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD", press Enter
  • At the "Language" screen hold the "Shift" key and press the F10 key to open a Command Window
  • Run SFC or chkdsk
  • For sfc, type sfc /scannow and press Enter.
  • For chkdsk, type chkdsk /r and press Enter.
Let this run to completion undisturbed..

Windows 7 only:
If you don't have a install DVD, you can download a legal copy here: Download Windows 7 ISO (Official 32-bit and 64-bit Direct Download Links) « My Digital Life

Make sure you get the same version you have installed: 32 or 64 bit; Starter, Home Premium, Pro or Ultimate.

Gauze

Gauze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
2012-07-02 13:18:37, Info CSI 0000000a [SR] Verifying 0 components
2012-07-02 13:18:37, Info CSI 0000000b [SR] Beginning Verify and Repair transaction
2012-07-02 13:18:37, Info CSI 0000000d [SR] Verify complete
2012-07-02 13:18:37, Info CSI 0000000e [SR] Repairing 0 components
2012-07-02 13:18:37, Info CSI 0000000f [SR] Beginning Verify and Repair transaction
2012-07-02 13:18:37, Info CSI 00000011 [SR] Repair complete

I'm downloading an iso of win 7 home premium 64. and im going to try to fix the system files. thanks for that link!

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Maybe the best way to go is to backup your data then restore the computer to it's factory new state. How you do this will depend on what's available.

Boot the Recovery Partition (if there is one).
Boot the recovery discs you created.
Boot the recovery DVD from the manufacturer.

Gauze

Gauze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
i do have a recovery partition. how do i boot it? and in what order should i do this stuff. I don't have a manufactures recovery disc however.

Edited by Gauze, 02 July 2012 - 11:42 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I am posting only in this regard

I can't get to those screens. I haven't found a number to call

If you go to this link, it automatically detects your location and provides the correct phone number to start the process of seeking help from Microsoft, in regard to the suggestion by my colleague happyrock

http://support.micro....com/contactus/

and

I'm downloading an iso of win 7 home premium 64. and im going to try to fix the system files. thanks for that link!

I thought it was Windows 7 ultimate

Advertisements

Gauze

Gauze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
It is home premium 64. I have multiple computers running multiple O/Ss. Their site explains how to reach a phone number through control activation but I can't get far enough into their wizard or whatever to actually get to the phone numbers. That site just tells you how to get to that point on the screen and what to do at that point but I can't cause somethings wrong with my system files. see this

Edited by Gauze, 02 July 2012 - 12:20 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
The Users Manual that should be available from the manufacturers web site will tell you how to start the recovery processs.

Often there is some info about it displayed to the screen during early boot time.

If you can't find it, post the make and model number of the computer and the version of Win 7. We'll see if we can help.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
In respect of THE link that I provided, realising that you could NOT access the phone number on right click computer etc
YOU must be clicking something different to my test albeit that is no use to YOU as I am in the UK and you are in the states
When I click the link I gave you and then the
Posted Image

The above is a clickable link

I am provided with a phone number I cannot understand why you are not as that link is quite separate to accessing windows.

Also please accept my apologies if I have missed something but why please

i can't change my product key

are you trying to change the product key

If this is an OEM computer and the installation is the one for which on the case is the COA label with the product key, then that product key is the one that will
be needed.
If that is NOT the case, in otherwords another system has been installed, then the situation is somewhat different

In respect of this report

i get an error saying slui.exe the version of this file not compatible with the version of windows im running

does this apply by any chance
windows\system32\slui.exe
The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you are running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher.

The only thing that may be an issue, is that I may have used a 64-bit DVD from a retail version to install the OS, and then tried to use the key code from the OEM version. Would this be an issue?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Further to the above this will provide a better clue as to what is amiss

http://go.microsoft....k/?linkid=52012 )

Once saved, run the tool.
Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste into your response.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Once you get to there, all the links on that page eventually take you to the following which is not working on his system:

Activate using the telephone

If Windows isn't able to activate online, you'll have the option to activate Windows 7 using an automated phone system.

Open Windows Activation by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, right-clicking Computer, clicking Properties, and then clicking Activate Windows now.‌

Click Show me other ways to activate.

Type your Windows 7 product key, and then click Next.

Click Use the automated phone system. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Click the location nearest you from the drop-down list, and then click Next.

Call one of the available phone numbers listed. An automated system will guide you through the activation process.

When prompted, enter the installation ID that's listed on your screen into your phone's keypad.

Write down the confirmation ID that the phone system gives you.

Type the confirmation ID into the space provided under Step 3 in the activation dialog, click Next, and then follow the instructions.

If activation isn't successful, stay on the line to be transferred to a customer service representative who can assist you.