Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random BSODs and start-up freezes

• Please log in to reply

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you still have AMD Catalyst Install Manager installed...uninstall it

you are right at the max for your drives...you need at least 25% free space or performance will suffer and once you hit 85% full you will no longer be able to defrag the drive

is C, D and E drives all on one large drive that has been partitioned...

how much swap/page file is set for each drive

list how much swap space is set for each drive

Click the Start button.. Then select Control Panel

click the System icon...

Click the Advanced tab...Click the Settings button under the Performance heading.
Click the Advanced tab...Click the Change button.

Look at the list of drives in the field at the top of the window. If there is a paging file size indicated for a drive (there may be more than one), then there is a pagefile.sys file located in the root directory of that drive. For example, if there is a paging file size indicated for drive C:, then the location for the paging file on that drive is C:\pagefile.sys. If there is no paging file size indicated for any drive, that means that pagefile.sys does not exist on your computer

Advertisements

trosco

trosco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
I've freed up my drives, at least D: and E:. On the C: drive, 'Windows' and 'Users' take up 50% of the space (with the temp directory emptied).

"is C, D and E drives all on one large drive that has been partitioned..."
I didn't quite understand that question, as far as I know, I've created the drives when installing windows, by allocating a certain amount of space for each, and that was all.

"how much swap/page file is set for each drive

list how much swap space is set for each drive"
Where can I find these pieces of information? I've uploaded a screenshot of the "Change" window, which should display the pagefiles. I'm not sure, but I don't think there are any. I've also done a search of the computer, with no results (I've ticked the option to see hidden files).

Edit: I couldn't manage to delete ATI catalyst install manager - there is no option to uninstall it from control panel, just change/repair. When I click change, it takes me to the install manager, asks me what I want to do next, I select uninstall components, but the install manager itself isn't on the list. Clicking change is the same as using the cd, both take me to the install manager.

Attached Thumbnails

• pagefile.jpg

Edited by trosco, 04 July 2012 - 02:47 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you have 1 large drive split into 3 sections and windows is managing the swap file size and location...did you run chkdsk /r...if so copy and paste the log for us

Go to Start and type in eventvwr.msc...press Enter
Expand the Windows logs heading, then select the Application log file entry.
Double click on the Source column header.
Scroll down the list until you find the Chkdsk entry
(wininit for Win7)
(winlogon for XP).

Copy/paste the results into your next post.

trosco

trosco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
I've ran chkdsk /r, but it took a very long time so I left the pc unattended. When I came back it was displaying a blue screen. The chkdsk worked, the blue screen occured after start-up. I didn't see myself that the chkdsk had been completed, but when I left it it was at about 20% on the 3/5 step (afer about 20 mins).
Could you give me a bit more information on what to do in event viewer please? I couldn't find any chkdsk entry (I manually searched, and then added "chkdsk" to the source filter, and there was nothing). The event viewer is supposed to display it even if I restarted the pc as far as I know.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try running chkdsk /r again...if it doesn't complete there won't be a log

trosco

trosco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
I think this is the log:

Checking file system on C: The type of the file system is NTFS. A disk check has been scheduled. Windows will now check the disk. CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 5)... 228096 file records processed. File verification completed. 370 large file records processed. 0 bad file records processed. 2 EA records processed. 54 reparse records processed. CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 5)... 280436 index entries processed. Index verification completed. 0 unindexed files scanned. 0 unindexed files recovered. CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 5)... 228096 file SDs/SIDs processed. Cleaning up 11 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9. Cleaning up 11 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9. Cleaning up 11 unused security descriptors. Security descriptor verification completed. 26171 data files processed. CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal... 37232136 USN bytes processed. Usn Journal verification completed. CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)... 228080 files processed. File data verification completed. CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)... 8752900 free clusters processed. Free space verification is complete. Windows has checked the file system and found no problems. 99949395 KB total disk space. 64506764 KB in 173303 files. 96904 KB in 26172 indexes. 0 KB in bad sectors. 334127 KB in use by the system. 65536 KB occupied by the log file. 35011600 KB available on disk. 4096 bytes in each allocation unit. 24987348 total allocation units on disk. 8752900 allocation units available on disk. Internal Info: 00 7b 03 00 3e 0b 03 00 7e 9f 05 00 00 00 00 00 .{..>...~....... 55 03 00 00 36 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 U...6........... 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................ Windows has finished checking your disk. Please wait while your computer restarts.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
yep...thats the log...the drive is ok...

Click on start..type in msconfig... select it from the search box above

Click on start up tab... uncheck everything except your antivirus

note... if this is a laptop leave synapyics or alps checked or your touchpad will not work

unchecking them does not remove them ..they are still available to use... they just won't launch

with Windows... reboot

trosco

trosco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Sorry for the delay, I just had one of my final exams and I was concentrating on that.
I did what you suggested, but it didn't work. The pc still crashed, even with all the start-up items unchecked. I noticed that it crashes even if left unattended (no programs running, just displaying the desktop).

Later edit: I think I'm going to reinstall my windows today, as I've got a free day from studying. I'm pretty confident it will work after that, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. About my other pc, should I create a different topic on this forum?

Edited by trosco, 07 July 2012 - 05:35 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

About my other pc, should I create a different topic on this forum?

yep...also let us know if the reinstall helps with this pc and be sure to backup all your data BEFORE you reinstall the OS

trosco

trosco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
well, I've reinstalled the OS, and for about 1 hour it's been working fine. I'll add a reply in a few days, but hopefully there will be no more problems. I would like to thank you for your help, and for the time you've invested in this!

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
let us know either way and your welcome... :thumbsup:

trosco

trosco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Well, it's been a few days now, and everything is working fine, no blue screens. So whatever it was, I think we can safely say it's gone now.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
glad its working good now... :thumbsup: