Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wired internet Difficulties

• Please log in to reply

crazyman191

crazyman191

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have DSL in my basement and I bought a router so I could share the internet connection with the one in my room upstairs. I put the cat5 cable from the modem in the router's WAN port and then I put two other cables one going to the computer in the basement and one going to my room. The one in the basement can't connect to the internet but the one in my room can. The one in the basement says it has a LAN connection, so I don't know what is wrong, I've tried setting up the network with network wizard and turning off my firewall. I can only have one computer on the internet at a time. If anyone could help me out it would be appreciated.

Advertisements

katkat92

katkat92

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Do you show a connection, and just aren't getting a webpage up or are you not even showing a network connection?

Also, what OS?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
if the second computer wont work and everything is connected properly, then you need to call your isp provider. For some internet service providers you have to call them so they can set up the router. You would have to know your account information and, some isp's have a special page to where you add a new computer/router.

Just call up your isp provider and ask for help.

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Are you sure about that JRM?? Most service providers only maintain the connection "up to" the house. Once inside, the network/cabling/etc is up to the customer. A cable/dsl modem only knows one interface, the external one on the router. It knows nothing of the 2, 3, 4, 500 computers on the other side of the router. I would suggest checking the cable that is connecting the router to the downstairs computer, if holding both ends of the cable in front of you, tabs down, the wiring order should be as follows:
white/orange; orange; white/green; blue; white/blue; green; white/brown; brown

if both ends are in that order, the cable is correct, plug it back in. If both ends are not in that order, but the order is exact same on both ends, it should work (maybe not to full potential unless pairs are matched), but if the wires are not in that order on both ends, you have the wrong type of cable, get a standard patch cable and replace.

If cable is correct:
On machine that is not connecting, click Start>Run; type cmd, at command prompt, type; ipconfig /release, enter, then type; ipconfig /renew. If you are receiving DHCP then that should give you new information and it should work.

If you are not using DHCP:
Make sure DHCP Server is Enabled on router, and set IP properties to "Obtain IP Address Automatically". This should work.

Greazy Mcgeezy

crazyman191

crazyman191

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
now I have a bigger problem when I tried setting up the router from my computer that got the internet I entered all the information such as IP, DSN etc. Now it won't let me access the internet, it says the internet is connected it just won't let me access it. I tried ipconfig /release and /renew but that doesn't work. I've also tried setting up connection this router is really starting to piss me off. I think I might just get my own modem in my room, but until then can anyone help me out with this ever contiuning and getting worse by the minute problem... :tazz: