Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possible origination from uTorrent File <> avast! UNSECURE [

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

downtrou

downtrou

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
hey there

completed the above, tried to install Skype and it returned this error:

Skype.PNG

I hadn't done a complete removal of Skype first but i also never got it re-installed..

Are there other steps I can take?

Cheers

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
That error is based on an incomplete removal of the old version of Skype... Is it present in programs and feature to remove ?

downtrou

downtrou

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
hey

Nope, been completely removed including any Registry items as per Skypes instructions:

https://support.skyp...reinstall-Skype

When ever I try to install it gives me this:

Skype2.PNG

Then on hitting NO it gives the messages in my reply above.

hmmmm

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK could you look in programme files and see if the skype folder is there, if it is does it have a file within the phone folder ?

downtrou

downtrou

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
hey there

there is a skype folder but no phone folder.. the only remains of anything skype are the browser toolbars.

cheers

downtrou

downtrou

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
interesting reading here, including on p2 or 3 a possible dev error.. will work through these suggestions (have tried Mr Fix as well as enabling access to the temp folder to "Everyone" and stop/start Win installer.. still going....

cheers
downtrou

downtrou

downtrou

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
good to see you guys are back! take a hit from hackers or something?? It was uncanny it was within minutes of my above reply!

Anyways, an update for you:

So after trawling the web & finding that the latest release of Skype relies on I.E9x, regardless of it being the default browser or not & seeing that this was wide-spread issue for many, they recommended using MS MrFixIT but this resulted in not having appropriate permissions.

The above, combined with all of the permission issues previously mentioned, made me investigate UAC.. You probably know this, but even if you are the Admin, you are in fact a slave Admin.. and since Vista Windows has hidden the Global Admin account which is needed to change anything at this level.. here is the article that shows you how to activate/de-activate it.

Once I did this and gave it a password, I was able to do what I needed (having restored the PC back to our "Clean" date and re-performing your subsequent tasks) - Again, you probably know this but it was new to me and a rookie mistake regarding protection/exposure - you need to create your main profile as a "Standard" User, password protect your Global Admin and then this pops up and requests the password to make the necessary Admin changes.

As I learnt, if you are permanently logged in as Admin, you take a virus on-board it has the ability to perform the above and/or take full control - make sense (probably teaching you to suck eggs right now :) )

Thank you for your help to date, I've learnt bucket loads and hope I am well armed to stay clean!

Cheers!
downtrou

Edited by downtrou, 10 July 2012 - 03:27 AM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Not hackers a rather boring and mundane data base crash

Most of that I actually take for granted, and as is usual with that sort of thing it sort of sits in the back of your mind and you never think of it

So how is the computer now ? Behaving itself

downtrou

downtrou

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
So far so good mate.. Cheers!

Only problem now is the finger print utility which is a widespread problem problem that a post sp1 Win7 update causes, some conflict. Am all over it but have, again, given up.

Re: assuming admin properties - maybe us less knowledgable types need to be more hand held :) anyways my learnings have been great due to your!

downtrou

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Life is all about learning, learn something new every day to keep the old grey cells ticking over :rofl:

I will have a look to see if someone has a solution to the fingerprint

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.