Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External HDD not recognising storage

• Please log in to reply

Kristina

Kristina

• PipPipPip
  • 319 posts
I have a Western Digital external HDD of 250 GB (232 usable). Recently my media player started finding errors on this HDD, it tried to fix it. Now my computer cannot see the folder where I have all my storage. The used space remains however the same as before. It's weird that all the additional folders (autorun, WD_windows_tools, WDsync) are visible and accessible. When I first rerun the HDD on my computer, it said Windows is trying to fix the HDD, but errors are unrecoverable or something like this.

Is there any reliable program I can use to fix the HDD? I tried with Advanced System Care, but it couldn't find any errors. Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
You can try to use this little free program Testdisk

http://www.cgsecurit...g/wiki/TestDisk

If you are able to retrieve your personal data then you can reformat your external HD to see if it will fix it.

Kristina

Kristina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts
Thank you! I started testdisk_win.exe and selected the drive. I'm not sure I took the right steps...

1. I selected CREATE a new log file
2. I selected my external drive

3. I selected option 1, Intel/PC partition (hope that is right...?)

4. I selected ANALYSE
After I run Analyse I get "bad sector count". "no partition is bootable"
It also says: partition: 1 P A FAT32,
start: 0 1 1 30400
end: 254 63
size in sectors: 488392002

5. Then I ran QUICK SEARCH
6. Answered YES at search for partition created under Vista or later
It got me basically the same data I obtained with ANALYSE previosly:
partition: 1x FAT32 LBA
start: 0 1 1 30400
end: 254 63
size in sectors: 488392002 [MY PASSPORT]

Don't know what I'm supposed to do now... I ran deeper search, it started scanning, while giving the same information as above (but appearing twice now)

Please help with this utility, I don't really know what I should be doing with it :D