Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Program Compatibility Assistant Confusion

• Please log in to reply

NomDeKeyz

NomDeKeyz

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
Microsoft has confused me by having two programs that may or may not do the same thing...
Program Compatibility Assistant & Program Compatibility Wizard
One of which apparently cannot be manually prompted, and the other that must be?

I collected all the advice I could on installing Oblivion on Win7x64.
I believe I followed the major points of installation accordingly...
(install as administrator, somewhere other than the default location)
everything seemingly went according to expectation thru disk one,
and then I proceeded to install disk two, which also went according to
expectation, until it was supposedly finished; then I got this message:

This program might not have installed correctly
If this program didn't install correctly, try reinstalling using settings that are compatible with this version of Windows.
Program: Setup.exe
Publisher: Macrovision Corporation
Then, it has three options:
Reinstall using recommended settings
OR - This program installed correctly
OR - CANCEL

The info button suggests that I cannot regain this prompt manually
in the future, so I am hoping to figure out what to do at this time.
Is it possible to change/alter the relevant compatibility issues at a
future time, if I make a less-than-ideal choice at this time? After
reading the Microsoft page on the Program Compatibility Assistant,
I am inclined to select the first option, as it seems that will activate
compatibility mode (which might be needed)? Is that in fact what it does?

*Fingers Crossed* ~Nom

Edited by NomDeKeyz, 02 July 2012 - 12:46 PM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I would go with This program installed correctly, see what happens. If problems uninstall it and start over again.

NomDeKeyz

NomDeKeyz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Ztruker, thankyou for your reply.
Mayhaps you could elaborate as to why you would choose that option? I really want to understand.

If I uninstall and start over, I am inclined to do a clean install of everything from the OS to etc (due to reinstall issues of Oblivion), so I was really hoping for more in depth information regarding this element of Win7, especially since I will undoubtedly encounter it again.

According to what I've read, the first option does not change the program, but it does change how Win7 handles the program... sadly, I could not locate any in depth listing of exactly how it might handle the program differently... nor could I verify that I could manually make these changes myself later, if need be.

The second option causes the computer to accept and mark the installation, and proceed as if all is well, until something isn't. I could not find anywhere if there was an option to edit this choice later if I find the need... especially since this window supposedly cannot be manually triggered.

The third option does nothing, but how that differs from the second option is unclear. Does this option mean that the window will reappear the next time I install this program, or the next time I run it?

So, my questions at this time:
-What do you recommend I select at this time? and Why?
-If I later decide to alter my imminent selection, is it possible to do so without reinstalling the game?
-Whatall might this do? Activate compatibility mode? Anything else?

*confuzzled* ~Nom

Edit: I corrected the spelling of your name, Ztruker; sorry 'bout that.

Edited by NomDeKeyz, 04 July 2012 - 10:30 PM.

NomDeKeyz

NomDeKeyz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
I found this on another site; I thought I'd post it here for possible future reference...

"Because the installer completed without error, option 2 is 99.999% likely the right choice."

So, as you suggest, Ztruker, I have selected,"This program installed correctly" afterall.

I manually enabled compatibility mode by right clicking on the icon in my All Programs list.
Oblivion has given me a few hiccups that somehow alleviated themselves after a few reboots.
[Once I loaded into a new game & mid character creation I found my keyboard unresponsive;
I had to shut down by holding the power button as there was no way to activate the menu.]
I seemingly have the vanilla game operational... tho I am still getting the UAC prompt every
time I start the game; I am not sure how to make that stop? Running as admin didn't fix it.
I'll continue to tinker and post back when all is said and done. Thanks for your advice! :spoton:

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
If the install went okay, that seems the logical choice. That is what I would have done.

As for UAC prompt, turn UAC off. It's one of the first things I do when installing Vista or Windows 7. I know some will disagree with me but UAC is annoying and does not really protect you since most people after awhile automatically click Allow or Yes.

The easiest way to turn it off is to launch msconfig (Start / msconfig / Enter) then click on the Tools tab and Disable UAC.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I think your questions are answered to a certain extent on the other topic where the 7 and XP issue were orignally discussed and where I have posted
http://www.geekstogo...__fromsearch__1

as indeed has phillpower2

Thanks for the follow up and you are welcome :thumbsup:

I have reproduced my post here for you
and from me - good luck with it

You may be interested in this, it is a more effective way of running XP than the simple compatability mode
You are in effect actually running XP
Although I have read reports of it not always being successful

http://www.microsoft...c/download.aspx

If you do install XP to a separate partition, as a physical install of XP - dual boot, be aware of the restore point problem.
Every time you open XP it wil delete your Windows 7 restore points
There is a simple fix to avoid this
It works perfectly asd this computer I am replying to you on is a dual boot with XP and 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926185

http://www.vistax64....oot-delete.html

CAUTION Note carefully please that the procedure adopted depends on which drive partition 7 is installed

NOTE PLEASE
I have closed the other topic so that you are not attempting to reply to two at the same time.

NomDeKeyz

NomDeKeyz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
THANKYOU!

Thanks Macboatmaster for closing the other thread; I really felt that software questions belonged in this forum section, but I also didn't feel entirely comfortable having multiple threads going.

At this time, I am learning how to work with Windows 7 (and I am mostly pleased by it; far more than I had expected I would be). I am still fond of XP, and as soon as I have exhausted my abilities and options with Windows 7, I will indeed pursue some sort of Dual-Boot/XP-running option as you suggest. I am certain that some of my other desired programs won't work even in compatibility mode, so I do plan to eventually get XP working. Everything takes me so long to do because I am just so tentative with technical things. I am determined, however. Thanks for hanging in there with me.

I wish you all the very best! Have a shiny, frabjous day! ~Nom

P.S. Wow, and Thanks! I had no idea about the dual boot restore point problem! Then again, I haven't really ever heard of a restore point before, lol. I'll spend more time reading before making any move to dual boot on the same HD. Does this issue still occur if I have each OS on a different HD?

I think I will try the virtualPC with XP first. I did get my game working well-enough on Win7, but I seem to have some of the visual glitches that happen for some Win7-Oblivion users... So, I thought I'd give the virtual PC a whirl...

Edited by NomDeKeyz, 03 July 2012 - 10:12 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Good luck with it and of course we are here whenever you need us

NomDeKeyz

NomDeKeyz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
UPDATE...
I gave the virtual PC consideration (including reading up on it further), but then opted to continue fidgeting with Oblivion in Win7 (sans compatibility mode) for the time being. I wanted to rule out other possible causes for my glitches before installing anything new, or assuming that compatibility was my only current issue. Especially since so many people online insist that it is possible to play Oblivion in Win7x64 w/o any compatibility intervention. :idea:

I read several guides by TweakGuides, including the one on Oblivion, ATI, and The Gamer's Graphics & Display Settings Guide. There was so much information in there that my brain felt like it was spinning in my head. I tried a handful of things, verified/cross-referenced other things, and in general became more familiar with my system and how it works. I also grew in awareness of so much more that I don't know about computers, lol. :blink:

I did not initially install CCC (because I never used it on my last system), however, after reading TweakGuides ATI advice, I decided to reinstall my driver and to include CCC this time. The last time I installed my driver, the internet was not behaving typically; perhaps due the coincidence of an intense storm? Something may have gone amiss since things seem to be working as expected this time. I did almost exactly what I did the first time. I did not make any changes in CCC (in part because the ATI guide was too dated to correlate with this version of CCC); yet somehow, my game seems to have manifested a harmonious relationship with my video card on this second install. YAY!!! :yeah:

ON ANOTHER NOTE...
As for UAC prompt, I tried several things to make it go away, including a tutorial to crate an elevated shortcut, but that only crashed my game. I am inclined to follow in the habit/practice of Ztruker and turn UAC off. UAC IS ANNOYING and, like most people, I expect I too will automatically click Allow or Yes after awhile... :surrender:

FINAL NOTE...
I suppose that you can now close this thread and consider it solved, since my game now seems to be installed and working as it should, glitch free. UAC is working as it should too, I expect; even if I wish it wouldn't.
I THANK YOU GEEKS YET AGAIN!!! I wish everyone at Geeks to Go much Joy and Mirth Always. :cheers:

:notworthy:

~Nom

P.S. Many months from now, when I am ready to install an older game, I will revisit the XP emulator and/or the dual boot ideas/options if need be. I have bookmarked the relevant links for future reference.

Edited by NomDeKeyz, 07 July 2012 - 04:59 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Thanks for the update.
Hope all continues to go well