Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow running Laptop running on Windows XP [Closed] [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
No. Please don't run aswMBR once again. Proceed with instructions from my previous post.

Advertisements

dowsp

dowsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts
Ok,

I hope to try and do the next steps shortly, but if it takes a while to do...

I may have to wait to a bit later....as I may need to be online for a while and I cannot run other webpages at the same time from what I understand.

dowsp

dowsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts
Render,

I could not see the download link for TFC below....

------------------

Please follow the steps below:

Step 1

Download TFC to your desktop

Open the file and close any other windows.
It will close all programs itself when run, make sure to let it run uninterrupted.
Click the Start button to begin the process. The program should not take long to finish its job
Once its finished it should reboot your machine, if not, do this yourself to ensure a complete clean

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
Ok

dowsp

dowsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts
sorry my mistake, Ive found the download link..

appologies..

dowsp

dowsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts
I just tried to run TFC and my computer seemed to seize up. in the end it did when i tried to cancel it.
so i had to restart.

Upon running it, I had firewall messages show up that I asked to allow it to run.

Im wondering if I should disable them before I ran.

I note TFC deletes temp files...Is this just those within internet temp files
when i click on tools options and clear history where I have options to delete cookies
cache etc in firefox....although I didn't really want to delete cookies.

Normally in firefox I delete the Cache..only....and leave history, cookies..
there are 7 options to delete.

In Internet Explorer 6....I can just select delete tempory files.

I think that there are...other tempory files within some other folders that I have seen somewhere..
maybe in windows...Im not sure what these are !

so can I ask the details of what TFC removes...do you think I need to remove all temp files cookies history etc..

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
I doubt it's firewall. It can be only UAC.

TFC will clear out all temp folders for all user accounts (temp, IE temp, java, FF, Opera), including Administrator, All Users, LocalService, NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder. It also cleans out the %systemroot%\temp folder and checks for .tmp files in the %systemdrive% root folder, %systemroot%, and the system32 folder (both 32bit and 64bit on 64bit OSs). It shows the amount removed for each location found (in bytes) and the total removed (in MB).

"do you think I need to remove all temp files cookies history etc"
No. I just want you to run TFC programme.

dowsp

dowsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts
Just a quick note,

My computer seems to be running as it was prior to my recent problem..after I restarted it again after
I had deleted the virus. It has never been perfect since the last big problem that I had many months ago..
that one of the Geeks to go advisers helped me to get it up and running again to a reasonable standard.
That took a very long time days if not weeks to resolve and was the worst experience I have ever had with a virus.

I think that I still get pages non responding when I try and close them at times...when the maximise button above on a webpage greys out and wont respond....next to the RED cross white X box that closes a page....

Also at the moment my desktop bar start or click to begin windows button that is normally at the lower horizontal position is still on the vertical top right hand side..

Ive tried refreshing the page and it wont alter...I think there is an option somewhere maybe in control panel that may alter it..

dowsp

dowsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts
OK, I will run it...It may be an hour before I do as I am out at a friends at the moment and need to return home and restart my computer to rerun it..

But I will say my computer is running much better at the moment...

"do you think I need to remove all temp files cookies history etc"
No. I just want you to run TFC programme.

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
So if I understand you correctly you want to move Taskbar to its default position - that is on the bottom of the Desktop.

If you want to do this go here and scroll down to the Fix it for me section.
Click on Fix it for me and follow instruction.
It should reset Taskbar position to its default position.

Your Windows are also not up to date. Why you didn't update it to Service pack 3?

Advertisements

dowsp

dowsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts
Thks for the info on how to reset the taskbar on the screen...

I will try that later.

As for Windows... The version that I have on my machine is what came with it when I purchased it
from Dell....Its an Inspiron 510m...Unfortunately they did not include a copy on a CD ..
I tried to see if I could obtain one through them but they say I have to purchase it separately.

I think I get updates that automatically download...unless Im mistaken..

Or are you suggesting that I obtain a more updated version ?

Mean while I will try and run TFC again..

dowsp

dowsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts
I just tried to run TFC again and nothing seems to be happening...and I cannot even exit
the program or return back to desktop without either pressing the restart button on top of my laptop
or pulling the power cable out..Even pressing Control Alt delete would not work.

I am not too clear on UAC....I can attempt to read the webpage that you refer me too, but it may take
me some time to understand it, unless there is a short cut on what I need to do.

From what I recall..when I look in my folders / files within my computer...there is an option to
select a version under my own name or one as administrator...in order to use my computer..

As I always use the file under my own name, im not sure what else I may need to do other than see if I can
enter through the admin option...

I just wondered if you can make any short cut suggestions...
As your indicated that running TFC should be a quick process..I expected it to start right away.

Or maybe im wrong and I need to wait longer for it to take effect.

-------------------------

I doubt it's firewall. It can be only UAC.

dowsp

dowsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts
As I am using Windows XP I wonder if UAC does not apply...I cannot see it listed in the description below!

User Account Control (UAC) is a technology and security infrastructure introduced with Microsoft's Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 operating systems, with a more relaxed[1] version also present in Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2. It aims to improve the security of Microsoft Windows by limiting application software to standard user privileges until an administrator authorizes

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
Yes it's not UAC as I forgot that you have Win XP.

So I don't know if we have any progress here. Are you sure that your problems with computer are malware related?

What programs are you able to run on this computer except Firefox?

To diagnose what is wrong I need logs produced by suggested tools.

Please try to provide me with this two logs:

Posted Image OTL Custom Scan

• Double click on the Posted Image icon to run it.
  • Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
  • When the window appears, underneath Output at the top, make sure Stadard output is selected.
  • Select Scan all users
  • Under the Extra Registry section, check Use SafeList
  • Check the boxes beside LOP Check and Purity Check.
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box copy and paste this in:

netsvcs
    %SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.exe
    /md5start
    explorer.exe
    winlogon.exe
    userinit.exe
    svchost.exe
    consrv.dll
    /md5stop
    %systemroot%\*. /mp /s
    %Temp%\smtmp\*.* /s
    hklm\software\clients\startmenuinternet|command /rs
    hklm\software\clients\startmenuinternet|command /64 /rs
    CREATERESTOREPOINT
  • Click the Posted Image button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
  • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
  • Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the contents of these files, one at a time and post them in your topic

dowsp

dowsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts
I do also have windows explorer version 6 I think it is..I have been advised to update it many times,
BUT I am or have been happy with it...sometimes I make updates and do not like the newer versions.

I think that I already have OTL....but it may be best to download a new version..

I cannot detect a download link on the info that you supplied unless I need to google it !