Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow running Laptop running on Windows XP [Closed] [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

dowsp

dowsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts
SHOULD HAVE DONE THIS BEFORE...

I Just canceled what I was going to do and ran the misconfig again in START ..RUN..

and when it opens SYSTEM CONFIG...

THE TWO PROCESS BOX OPTIONS are ticked only...
Process SYSTEM.INI
Process WIN.INI

THE BOTTOM TWO were UNTICKED..Load Startup and Load System Services

SO this is what is shown when I open system config utility initially as I understand it...

As I did not apply the changes earlier, I assume that nothing would had changed after I had messed about looking and ticking any boxes etc..

Looking in SERVICES TAB....when I click "Hide all MS services"...
there are some options already ticked but most are unticked..
7 out of about 25 options are ticked....the rest unticked..

SO NOW at least we know what it was like before we select to make any changes..

Advertisements

dowsp

dowsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts
I have not as yet completed the process....

and I am still not 100% sure which options I select...as I did not think that the last link that I posted selected the correct boxes that we were discussing..

UNLESS you believe that is the correct option.

I also thought that you may have wanted to check if it had made any difference.

Unless you need to close it within a set time...I was not sure if I may have a few other things to ask about....depending how the computer reacts to any things that we have done..

----------------------------
OK. Can I close this topic?

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
Well. You can freely experiment with various msconfig settings and see how is your computer running after reboot. You can always revert changes. Remember that in msconfig we only enable or disable some startup programs and services. You are always able to enable previously disabled item. We don't delete it, so you can't do any harm to your system.

dowsp

dowsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts
Hi Render,

From trying to follow and understand the description from microsoft supports description and the comparing it with the link that I posted from Sage customer support...

http://kb.sagesoftwa...ve-startup-mode

They do not seem to be indicating or showing the same information.

As I am unsure about this..

I think that I will leave this step until I believe that I have the correct option if you or anyone else on Geektogo cannot clarify it with full certainty..

Hopefully I can come back in the next day or two...as this may give me time to find out....if that is ok with you for now..

dowsp

dowsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts
Sorry I missed your last post, and I posted another reply..

I note what you have said...and at least if I cannot do any harm then yes hopefully I can experiment..

IF it is ok leave the thread open for a bit longer...while I investigate over the next day or two..

Thank you for now....and I will let you know what happens.

Many thanks for the time being.. :thumbsup:

I appreciate your help and patience.. :happy:

Well. You can freely experiment with various msconfig settings and see how is your computer running after reboot. You can always revert changes. Remember that in msconfig we only enable or disable some startup programs and services. You are always able to enable previously disabled item. We don't delete it, so you can't do any harm to your system.

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
My idea behind booting in clean state was to minimise number of loaded 3rd party processes, services and programs as your computer is low on RAM and also CPU is probably slow as computer is 7 years old.

Then I told you several times that you need to release more (at least 15%) free space on your system partition.

Next I strongly recommend you to update to Service Pack 3 as your operating system is obsolete and as such is acting like a magnet for malware.

Next... Internet Explorer 6 is history. Update it to IE 8 even if you don't use it.

I will be away from tomorrow till Sunday afternoon. So if you will have time in next days I will be very happy if you will release some space on your system partition.

Till then and have a nice weekend.
Stefan

dowsp

dowsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts
Hi Stefan,

I note what you have said and I do not disagree..what you say does make sense...
I will look to remove some files to create more free disc space..
I suspect that I do have a LOT of files etc that are replicated...
unfortunately Im not sure of any easy way to check upon this and remove them.

I was not aware of service pack 3...Is this to replace Windows or another program?
if to replace windows..would this not mean me having to delete all my files etc and replace the OP system then reload the files again...if so that would take some doing...

I may be better buying a cheap new computer...

Can I upload IE8 and still have IE6 or do you have to fully delete / replace / update automatically over IE6..

You also have a good long weekend..

You may well feel that you deserve it after this week !

Thank you again.

Dowsp...P

My idea behind booting in clean state was to minimise number of loaded 3rd party processes, services and programs as your computer is low on RAM and also CPU is probably slow as computer is 7 years old.

Then I told you several times that you need to release more (at least 15%) free space on your system partition.

Next I strongly recommend you to update to Service Pack 3 as your operating system is obsolete and as such is acting like a magnet for malware.

Next... Internet Explorer 6 is history. Update it to IE 8 even if you don't use it.

I will be away from tomorrow till Sunday afternoon. So if you will have time in next days I will be very happy if you will release some space on your system partition.

Till then and have a nice weekend.
Stefan

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
Hi,

Did you managed to free some space on system partition?

dowsp

dowsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts
Hi Render,

No !

I also have been away over the weekend and back today.

I need to try and do so in the next day or so...BUT I KNOW I will find it hard to delete things...Its a hard decision to delete most files that I wanted to remain on my computer.

After turning on my computer since coming back, upon doing so..
I got a virus detected with a pop up message from my Avira A.V... I don't think it deleted it. I often have a problem opening Avira back up and finding what had been detected as it doesn't seem to work very well when I try to click on parts of its program to find last detections etc. and it does not seem to scan too well if I try it..

My computer at the moment seems to have slowed down again at times..more when I open too many pages..

This may be due to the low disk space...no doubt 1

dowsp

dowsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts
I just managed to open Avira and this is what it found,

strange as it also refers to malwarebytes AV that I downloaded a few days ago to try and see if it would detect any viruses around the same time that I initially was in contact with you. At the time on doing a quick scan with Malwarebytes AV, nothing was detected..

But I am unable to see if the virus was deleted nor can I get it to delete it when clicking on the detected information...I may have to run the program to see if it finds it again.

thinking about it...I may have clicked a button to delete it on the popup at the time...but I did not take the time to fully observe what I did as often the popups disappear before I get chance to do anything.

"Virus or unwanted program 'TR/Dropper.Gen8 [trojan]'
detected in file 'C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe.
Action performed: Deny access"

Advertisements

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
Hi,

Its a hard decision to delete most files that I wanted to remain on my computer.

I recommend to move these files to external media.

"Virus or unwanted program 'TR/Dropper.Gen8 [trojan]'
detected in file 'C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe.
Action performed: Deny access"

It looks like false positive to me.

Open Windows Explorer. Go Tools>Folder Options>View tab, put a checkmark next to Show hidden files, and folders, un-check Hide protected operating system files.
NOTE. Make sure to reverse the above changes, when done with this step.
Upload following files to http://www.virustotal.com/ for security check:
- C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
IMPORTANT! If the file is listed as already analysed, click on Reanalyse file now button.
Post scan results

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
User returned.

dowsp

dowsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts
Thank you for reopening this thread...

Apologies for not getting back to you earlier

I had had a few distractions over the last month that has prevented me continuing on with my Computer problem

You may recall that you asked me to delete some files and make some space on my computer....

Well I did move over 2 gigabytes of files to an external hard drive...

I also tried you last instruction before you closed down the thread after I did not get back to you. Unfortunately I was unable to find that file as you had asked..

- C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe

I was wondering if it could be reopened and if you would consider continuing with the problem.

After deleting 2 gigs...I was trying to move some photos onto my external drive from my IPhone using Windows camera scanner program...Upon trying ...I had over 2000 images that I was trying to upload...and my computer froze up...

NOW I have found that I also no longer have any free disc space...and I do not know how this has happened...as I was moving the images from my IPhone to my external drive..

Its as if some how they may have ended up on my C drive..but I cannot find where..

I would appreciate any advice if you would still consider continuing with the problem.

Many thanks for you help prior to this.

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
Please do the following:

Posted Image OTL Custom Scan

• Download OTL to your desktop.
  • Double click on the Posted Image icon to run it.
  • Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
  • When the window appears, underneath Output at the top, make sure Stadard output is selected.
  • Select Scan all users
  • Under the Extra Registry section, check Use SafeList
  • Check the boxes beside LOP Check and Purity Check.
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box copy and paste this in:

netsvcs
    %SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.exe
    /md5start
    services.*
    explorer.exe
    winlogon.exe
    userinit.exe
    svchost.exe
    mbam.exe
    consrv.dll
    /md5stop
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Media\WMSDK\Local\AutoProxyCache /s
    %systemroot%\*. /mp /s
    %Temp%\smtmp\*.* /s
    hklm\software\clients\startmenuinternet|command /rs
    hklm\software\clients\startmenuinternet|command /64 /rs
    CREATERESTOREPOINT
  • Click the Posted Image button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
  • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
  • Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the contents of these files, one at a time and post them in your topic