Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Repair option not avail for XP repair installation

• Please log in to reply

360nourishment

360nourishment

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Hello,

Let me clarify, when I initially ran the CHKDSK, I removed the CD prior to the scan. I re-inserted the CD before I ran the second scan successfully.

Does that make sense?

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Not to me,as I cannot equate chkdsk /r running correctly with the CD IN but NOT without it IN, but perhaps it may to my colleague

If that sfc does not work with the guidance posted by both of us, there is another possible way round this.

We can point the scan to a different source.

I will take a back seat as it is my colleagues topic and only come in, if he has to go offline, good luck

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I understand completely and what we are attempting to do now is to see if there are any System files that possibly are corrupted or missing.
The instructions I posted have both the with OS disk and without the OS disk instructions.

360nourishment

360nourishment

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Hi there,

I originally tried using the Windows XP Disk (burned copy). The system told me that I inserted the wrong disk, lol (frustrated) sigh.

Ok. So then I attempted to use the no disc instructions, I changed the drive from D:/ to C:/ and I attempted to run the program. The system told me I had to insert a disk!

I went back and doubled checked and the drive is still set to C:/

What the...?

Score 1 for the computer / 0 for me.

Can either of you please advise when you have a moment?

Edited by Macboatmaster, 03 July 2012 - 03:59 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

Windows XP Disk (burned copy)

What burned copy please

What is full edition of XP sorry if I missed it - is it media edition

360nourishment

360nourishment

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
The burned Copy is of Windows XP (SP3) Professional Edition.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you borrow a XP disk of the same type you have installed?
Home, Media or Pro with the correct Sp installed.

360nourishment

360nourishment

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Unfortunately I can't at the moment. I'm not sure if I'll be able to get my hands on this anytime soon.

The burned copy is the only thing that I have at my disposal right now....

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
As that is an HP compaq, presumably of course with XP Professional installed, it may well be that you will struggle to get a system file check with the burned copy of xp Sp3 that you have, presuming that this burned copy is NOT the HP Compaq reinstallation CD slipstreamed to include SP3

Try please the suggestion in my post re SFC for hidden files and folders etc WITHOUT the CD in.

ALSO is this a different computer to your other one on a previous topic when your operating system was
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3

as from what I am seeing the previous one just the other month was also an HP laptop.
I do appreciate that you may have changed the O/S or it may be a different laptop

360nourishment

360nourishment

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Hello,

I used the re SFC for hidden files and folders etc WITHOUT the CD in suggestion in my previous post. The system is still prompting me to put in a CD even though I've set the drive to C:/.

Regarding the correct version of the OP, I thought that problem computer was running off the Professional Edition of XP, but it's running off the Home Edition, so the message I was getting about the 'wrong desk' was correct.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

Regarding the correct version of the OP, I thought that problem computer was running off the Professional Edition of XP, but it's running off the Home Edition, so the message I was getting about the 'wrong desk' was correct

Just call me Sherlock - Holmes :lol:

To save me a lot of typing the following questions are relevant

1. Is the CD drive still the D drive. Check when you have the correct CD as if the drive letter has changed and the source path is D it will not of course see the CD

2. Do you have on your computer the i386 folder - it is hidden
There are other options for the sfc
see this
http://forums.malwar...?showtopic=4571

that all said, you cannot hope to run the sfc from the xp prof CD with an xp home installation, the system files are different

I am signing off I am in the UK it is 2345 hrs goodnight

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
AND of course, I am sure you will have realised but we now have the answer to the original question when you opened the topic

I am trying to do a repair installation (from a Windows XP CD) on a HP Compaq nc8430 laptop. I was using the guide from ehow and when I got past the licensing agreement, I noticed there was no Recovery option available. Instead I see options to do the following:

Because it is XP Pro CD

360nourishment

360nourishment

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Yes. Wow, do I feel smart right now.

I apologize if I've royally wasted everyone's time up to this point, although my system is def. jacked up - I can't make a mistake about that, lol.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not a waste of time as we have discovered the problem and now the issue is to find the correct OS disk you can use. Once that is acquired we can continue with the correcting the issue at hand even if that requires the repair option you originally asked about. :thumbsup:

360nourishment

360nourishment

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Is it possible to install Windows XP without the disk? I have the product key, but not the disk itself.