Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Repair option not avail for XP repair installation

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did it give you a choice of a short test or extended test? If not then it did not work.

Advertisements

360nourishment

360nourishment

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Hi,

No it did not give me an option for a short test or an extended test. I had to accept a license agreement to see the interface. Once I clicked 'I accept', I was able to see the test information and results, which said:

Scanning for controllers
Scanning for devices
Scanning for deliver on Intel ICH7
Detected 1 devices
Device scan complete

Edited by 360nourishment, 15 July 2012 - 12:26 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It booted to the cd and not to windows correct?

360nourishment

360nourishment

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Yes. I ran it again and I now see the option for "long" and "short" tests. I selected "long test".

Edited by 360nourishment, 15 July 2012 - 01:04 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Great that is what I was looking for. Let me know if it finds any errors with the hard drive when it is done. Great job for doing it again :thumbsup:

360nourishment

360nourishment

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Thanks.

I ran it again and I did get an error I did get an error. I received a failure message window saying ...that my Seagate hard drive has failed an important diagnostic test, possibly caused by problems sectors which are difficult to read....

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK that is probably the cause of the issue then. If the drive is failing it won't be able to perform correctly.
Have you been able to backup all your important data?
If not I would suggest doing so before the drive fails completely.

360nourishment

360nourishment

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Yes, I backed everything up onto my external hard drive a couple of weeks ago, which is good because I can't even launch Windows on the problem computer.

So, this is pretty much a done deal at this point, correct?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would say based on the hard drive diagnostic test you need to replace your hard drive.
Is the purchase of a new drive possible right now and if so what kind of budget would you be looking at? I can search and find you some prices if you would like. :thumbsup:

360nourishment

360nourishment

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Honestly at this point, since I have a backup, my budget is only $50. I am thinking I should just save and buy a new computer altogether.

I really appreciate you offering to look around for me, that was really generous.

And you both have been so patient ' You guys are really awesome in this forum!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Building your own may be a option or rebuilding the one you have now with newer hardware. Motherboard, CPU, Memory, Video, Hard drive and maybe PSU :thumbsup:

360nourishment

360nourishment

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
That's always an option! Thanks for that suggestion :thumbsup:

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This way the only original part is the case and that can be replaced also so you would have a completely new system.

360nourishment

360nourishment

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Hi rshaffer61 & Macboatmaster,

Well, I am officially moving on and out from trying to fix my problem computer, but I wanted to sincerely thank you for all of your followup and hard work on my issue. I really and thoroughly appreciate all of your help. And I even learned a few things in the process.

You guys can close this thread whenever you want, but I just wanted to say 'Thanks."

Take care.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
We don't close topics in this forum but thank you for the kind words. We are here to help so if you need more assistance later just start a new topic and you could even pm one or both of us if you would like us to help you out. ;) :cool: :ph34r: :thumbsup: