Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Authorise Program Installations Remotely

• Please log in to reply

Caljif

Caljif

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi,
As ridiculous as this may sound, I was wondering whether It would be possible to act as 'Admin' for my Parents' laptop's to prevent them 'accidently' installing programs which they don't need as well as IE toolbars (They seem very resistant to explore other internet browsers). I ask this because I spend 6 months of the year away at University, over 400 miles away, and every time I return I spend about a week of my time uncluttering all the ridiculous things they've managed to download and install onto their laptops which is causing them problems.
Any ideas would be helpful.
Thanks.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
yep ...create a admin account for you (password protected) and they get limited user accounts
Configuring Windows 7 for a Limited User Account here...

Caljif

Caljif

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Thanks a lot, completely forgot about UAC...I take it this works remotely?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
yep...you can use crossloop and logmein free...that way you can see their screen just like your sitting in front of the computer...watch exactly what they are doing and take over if necessary
need to install something for them...once connected log into your admin account...they cant see your password just the *****