Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

4yr old PC: Upgrade for game performence

• Please log in to reply

eggsterr

eggsterr

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My main purpose to upgrade is to play video games at full potential. At the moment I'm playing Heroes of Newerth w/o problems, Aion is lagging/slow fps rendering, I want to try new Diablo 3, and Heroes of Might Magic VI

Could you guys suggest possible options for minor upgrade?

As of right now I'm thinking doubling RAM with same 2x2 sticks $60 but I have no idea what to do with VGA

- get similar speed VGA to SLI for <$100? No experience with SLI, I was told would drain more power, better get 1 new video card.

- Replace with $100~200 nVidia 550 Ti Fermi from MSI or EVGA? Should it be 192/256-bit+ 1GB+?

What other details to look at? Will every new graphic card be compatible with my old mobo? Should I consider something newer?

Finally, if you have better options for me on what specific cards to get or if to focus on upgrading something else, please share your opinions.

Thank you so much!

Currently I have:

AMD 2.2GHz Quad-Core (Details)

Corsair 4GB Ram 2x2GB(Details)

EVGA nVidia 9600 GT 512mb 256-bit 700Mhz(Details)

ASUS motherboard (Details)