Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New PC builder help

• Please log in to reply

geicojacob

geicojacob

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello! First off I suppose I should state that I'm VERY new to computers. Well, I play games pretty hardcore, but I'm now just getting into the tech stuff, and it's quite interesting. As of now I have a laptop, it simply isn't cutting it. So, I thought I'd build a PC. I have essentially no knowledge on what is good or bad to have though, so I asked a friend. He basically complied this list of materials and I have no idea if they are good or bad. My "gut feeling" is telling my that something is off. But since I know almost nothing, I don't know for sure. But I THINK the power supply that comes with this case does not have enough wattage/power. So basically, I'm asking for people to check this list and make sure it is compatible and that it will run. Possibly tell me some upgrades if they are cheap as I want to stay in the $800 or less range. One more thing...My friend offered to build my computer for me for $70. Should I do that or not? He says he has professional equipment, which I don't have. He also says it's quite difficult to do. Which is contradicting all of the guides I have seen online. So, should I risk it and do it myself+have fun or have a "pro" do it? Anyways...Here is the list of stuff. Thanks in advance :D

http://secure.newegg...Number=27577028

PS: Sorry for the chunk of text.
PPS: If anyone has a really good guide for computers that is a must read/watch, send it my way please. I will be browsing this forum looking at other topics/stickies for help now.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,993 posts
:welcome: geicojacob

First suggestion is that you read the build tutorial provided courtesy of Troy and Artellos respectively http://www.geekstogo...r-own-computer/ this will help you decide if you will build your own.

Forget the case/PSU (poor quality) and the HDD (hard drive) storage capacity is too small and it is expensive.

I will provide you with an alternative list of parts shortly.

geicojacob

geicojacob

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

:welcome: geicojacob

First suggestion is that you read the build tutorial provided courtesy of Troy and Artellos respectively http://www.geekstogo...r-own-computer/ this will help you decide if you will build your own.

Forget the case/PSU (poor quality) and the HDD (hard drive) storage capacity is too small and it is expensive.

I will provide you with an alternative list of parts shortly.

Thank you for the reply! First off, I read that guide now. It seems semi easy and fun. Just a lot of paying attention. I am scared though, I have heard that if I even plug one cord in the wrong socket I brake everything and lose all of the equipment. Is this true? Or what is the worst case scenario? I should also note that I'm not one to make a lot of mistakes, but I'm always hesitant and like to be informed which is why I ask :)

Alright. So I was right that the PSU wasn't sufficient, sweet! I look forward to seeing your updated list/parts.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,993 posts
You are welcome :thumbsup:

Just under your maximum budget but everything you need http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bofr
Benchmark for the video card @ http://www.videocard...=Radeon HD 7850

The most important thing to do before you start building is read and understand fully all of the manuals supplied with your hardware, once you have actually ordered your parts you can download manuals for items such as the MB and read up on it while you wait for it to arrive.

Remember we at GTG are here to help and will walk you through the build step by step if need be, taking your time and being patient is a must.

NB: It is advisable to do a barebones set-up outside of the case first and remember to ground yourself regularly by touching a bare metal part of the case or you could wear an anti static wristband, more about this when you are ready to do a barebones set-up though.

geicojacob

geicojacob

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

You are welcome :thumbsup:

Just under your maximum budget but everything you need http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bofr
Benchmark for the video card @ http://www.videocard...=Radeon HD 7850

The most important thing to do before you start building is read and understand fully all of the manuals supplied with your hardware, once you have actually ordered your parts you can download manuals for items such as the MB and read up on it while you wait for it to arrive.

Remember we at GTG are here to help and will walk you through the build step by step if need be, taking your time and being patient is a must.

NB: It is advisable to do a barebones set-up outside of the case first and remember to ground yourself regularly by touching a bare metal part of the case or you could wear an anti static wristband, more about this when you are ready to do a barebones set-up though.

Thanks :D Now...I'm going to ask for a lot here, so if you can't answer everything or don't have the time, that is fine. But first off, again, thank you for the help.

(Not saying any of your choices are wrong, just looking to learn)

1.) you changed the motherboard, why? Is the one you listed better or what?

2.) You changed the memory. It appears they are the same 2x4gb but yours is cheaper by $10. Was that your reasoning?

3.) You changed the hard drive too. They appear to be similar to me. Identical. Or...no wait. The one you listed is the same, it just has 1TB instead of 250GB?

4.) You upgraded the video card it appears. $70 more. Was the one I had "bad" or is yours just better? Also, what makes it better?

5.) Why did you pick this certain case? I would imagine either sockets or air flow?

6.) You added a different power supply. Mine was 350W yours is 600W. Big difference. Will 600W be more than enough? I want to make sure I don't have problems running things.

I think that is everything that was changed. Again, not saying you did wrong by any means, simply looking to learn. Thanks again though :D

EDIT: I added all of the items into my cart. With shipping it's $881.92. My MAX price is $800, yeah. Could you maybe get it down to $750? Well...Apparently your $750 and mine are differnet since the link you sent was at about $800, but when in the cart it is $880. So shoot for like...$680 maybe? Sorry, didn't know that'd happen.

EDIT 2: Tiny update to it. I took ideas from my original and yours then combined them a bit. I think this is good? It's at $762.24 now with shipping included in that. So a decent deal I think, wish it was cheaper but still working on it and looking around. More input would be appreciated :)

Edited by geicojacob, 04 July 2012 - 05:43 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,993 posts
geicojacob

Due to work commitments at present I am pushed for time and so can only give you a condensed response, I will elaborate more on Saturday when I am off work :thumbsup:

MB has better pci-e slots and more SATA ports.

Ram was purely a budget thing.

HDD has almost 750GB more storage capacity.

Video card is more superior in performance and spec, please refer to the benchmark provided at the link http://www.videocard...=Radeon HD 7850

Case has excellent cooling system.

PSU has more power than is needed at present, 80% output efficiency and is a proven quality brand.

RE: Your edit 2, please post the combined list of parts you have put together.