Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Probelm with User accounts in XP

• Please log in to reply

rogerbid

rogerbid

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
Hi,

I hope someone can explain how I can overcome a weird situation that has arisen in my XP User Accounts

I have been running a PC with Windows XP with multiple user accounts and am now passing this on to my son. There will no longer be any need for multiple User Accounts so I went into Control Panel/User Accounts and deleted the old names. I now just have two accounts, Admin and Guest.

I thought that would be the end of it, but when I looked for a test document, saved in 'My Documents', I see the file is in fact in a folder at this address: C:\Documents and Settings\Roger, Roger being my old User Account name.

Can I simply rename the folder in Documents and Settings from Roger to Admin, or will this upset everything? I do not understand why there is still a Folder named Roger when no such User Account exists.

Thanks for any help,

best wishes,

Roger

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Did you try going into SYSTEM PROPERTIES choose the tab ADVANCED then click on the settings of the USER PROFILES and see if you have any users left that you do not need.

Also when you deleted the users accounts did you choose the option to save the user documents or choose to delete them, if you choose to keep them then it is normal they were copied into the administrator account.

rogerbid

rogerbid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
Hi and thanks.

Sadly your reply is not a lot of help as I cannot recall for certain whether I chose to delete or save the user documents, but I do belioeve I chose not to. (After all, my old documents would be totally insignificant for my son.)

I have been to System Properties>User Profiles and the only entry there is 'DESKTOP\Roger'. However I am not sure how knowing this helps me :). Control Panel>User Accounts shows just 2 accounts, Admin and Guest - no mention of Roger. How can I remove all traces of Roger and leave just Admin as the sole User Account?

Thanks,

Roger

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Roger and administrator are one of the same, if you want to completely erase what was in Roger account try by first creating another account with administrators privilege login to the new account and from there delete completely the Roger account.