Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mitsumi FA404M Internal FDD & Flash Memory Card RW not working

• Please log in to reply

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
Hello,

I recently inherited a computer that seems to work fine except for the memory card reader. I never had reason to use the card reader, but I do now. However, it doesn't work. When I insert a memory card into the reader absolutely nothing happens. I have pulled the hard case off and checked the 3 connections to the device to make sure everything was plugged in correctly. All seemed normal.
When looking at the device manager, there was a yellow exclamation point next to the USB Mass Storage Device under USB controllers. I did uninstall the device thinking that on reboot the system would recognize the new hardware then walk me through installation. After reboot, there was nothing about installing a new hardware device. When I look at the device manager again, the USB Mass Storage Device for the memory card reader is gone.
I actually found installation instructions for this memory card reader online, it tells me that before installing the device, I must download a driver from the manufacturers website. However, when I go to that website, I cannot find the product or driver at all.
So, I don't know why the memory card reader is not being detected by Windows and I'm unsure if I actually need to download the driver in order for the device to work, or if it would work if the 'new hardware' was detected. Any help you can give is appreciated.

Intel Pentium D
CPU 3.00GHz
2.98 GB RAM
Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3

Memory Card Reader: Mitsumi FA404M

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
This is very old technology.
In fact it has long been discontinued and that is why you willo not find it on the Mitsumi site

You will NOT need the driver, that was only applicable to systems before XP eg win98

Without wishing to appear unhelpful, as the desire to help is of course the reason for working here, we have no way of knowing if this device, from the aspect of the card reader was ever working and with the extremely low cost of usb connected card readers, it is in my opinion, hardly worth YOUR efforts to correct what may of course transpire to be a hardware problem with the device

See this please

http://www.amazon.co...41581060&sr=8-1

or this
http://www.google.co...ed=0CKABEPMCMAg

You must of course ensure that the cards that any of these will read are the ones you wish to use, but the compatability of a modern reader for cards is far wider than that MItsumi internal/ floppy.reader you have

Mitsumi
Card reader works with the following cards
CF
MD
MS
SD
MMC
SM

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
Well, you hope you can work with what you got, but if not, buying a new card reader seems the right course of action. Thanks.