Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell E1505 Won't start

• Please log in to reply

topgun260

topgun260

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a Dell E1505 that won't start. When I push the power button the power light illuminates for about 3-4 seconds and goes out. No fans spin up, no hard drive, no screen, no noises at all. I've pulled the battery and power cord, held the power button down and then tried to power up with the FN key held down and got a short blink from the Wifi LED left of the power button. Nothing else lit up except the above mentioned power light for 3-4 seconds. Any ideas?

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go

If the battery is charged try the battery only
That eliminates the problem of the power supply, or connection, to the laptop

If the battery is not charged, try another power supply. You may consider getting an output reading from the female jack on the power lead, with a voltmeter although this is not totally reliable, as the power supply is no then under load.

If both those fail it is either the connection on the laptop, it is common for them to have faulty connections, especially if there has been strain exerted on the male jack of the connection at the laptop., or an internal hardware problem -

Unfortunately these are usually outside the area on which we can assist.

If you wish to obtain your data take out the hard drive and connect it usb to another computer.

If all is in order with the drive you may then copy your personal data

E1505 service manual
http://support.dell....e.htm#wp1123687

topgun260

topgun260

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The battery has been toast for a long time so I can't check it without a/c power. The a/c supply is showing 19.5 volts but like you said that is not under load. Does anyone know what the error codes are for this machine? I couldn't find them anywhere online.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

I've pulled the battery

You should never leave a defective battery in a laptop - for your future information.

The battery has been toast for a long time

I hope you will find the service manual useful, together with my suggestion for recovering your data

http://www.bioscentr...es/dellbios.htm#

Good Luck with it.

Badshot

Badshot

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have the same exact issue. Waiting for a new power brick. What fixed your?

topgun260

topgun260

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I was using the 1505 as a media computer so I just built up a new computer. I found some stuff on another site that seemed to indicate that there were some type of diagnostic codes with the lights while doing what I explained in my first post. Nobody seems to know what they are though and I can't find them in the manual that was posted.

Good luck.