Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WIN XP Re-format

• Please log in to reply

slr22

slr22

• Pip
  • 7 posts
:tazz: When re- formatting my hard drive and windows xp is fully installed, my isp is AOL(just for reference) so i usually install that afterwards to get online.

My question to you is.. after re-formatting, what are the best steps to take to protect my computer from outside problems?? My version of Windows xp does not have service pack 2 so should i downloadl that first.. or dl things like Registry fix, Ewido, Fire fox before anything else??? Should i use the tweaks available on your sight right off the bat or wait till sp 2 is installed? Sorry if the questions sound silly, but I don't know what the best way to do this is.

Thx,
Slr22

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Not silly at all..

First of all, in order to download anything, you would have to instrall AOHell so you could have an internet connection.. Defeats your purpose of downloading things you feel you need first!!

Whenever I have to do a re-install, I follow the following procedure..

1: I have AVG (anti-virus) and Sygate (personal firewall) burned to a cd. As soon as my re-install is finished, I load both AVG and Sygate on the system.. That gives me basic protection..

2: Now I setup my net connection and go online.. As soon as I am online, I go to both AVG and Sygate's webpages and download the newest updates for both programs..

3: Disconnect from the net and install the upgrades and updates..

4: Now, my system should be as safe as I can make it for the time being and I go back online and download and install the remainder of the malware products I may need.

Murray

slr22

slr22

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
;)

Thank you very much for your suggestion/advice. I will do just that. AoHELL is right.. I will post my question about that on a new thread.

Slr22 :tazz:

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

:tazz: 

Thank you very much for your suggestion/advice.  I will do just that.  AoHELL is right.. I will post my question about that on a new thread.

Slr22 :idea:

View Post

Sorry about that.. I meant to edit that part about AOL out.. ;)

Murray