Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Startup issues with HP Probook running Win7 32-bit

• Please log in to reply

philbert2501

philbert2501

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Several months ago, after replacing a broken screen in an HP Probook 4520s, I started noticing some startup problems. It got to the login page with no apparent problems, but after entering the password, it took several minutes to actually get to the desktop. It sat for a while with the word "welcome" and the spinning circle, then went to a totally pink screen with the mouse pointer for a while longer before finally loading the desktop. Once the desktop finally came on, there was a message stating that Windows could not access the System Event Notification Service. I set the laptop aside, as it wasn't really needed and I really didn't have the time to work on it.

I am going to be needing it again soon, so I started it up today to see what I could do. The first time it started up with no problems, just as you'd normally expect any working computer to do. When I turned it off and restarted it, it did the same thing as before.

Also, the built-in wireless network adapter doesn't seem to work. I wonder if I may have damaged it physically while installing the monitor, but I do not know. I'm not terribly concerned about that, since I can get a usb adapter if necessary.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me with this!

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Sure sounds like you may have damaged something when replacing the display. Check and make sure all the connectors and/or flat cables are seated correctly and the zif retainers are fully seated.

As for the wireless, it is almost certain that the antenna is not connected (the two long black and white wires going from the display to the wireless card). Should be easy to check as the wireless card is normally accessible by removing a cover from the bottom of the laptop.

Note: Sometimes it's easier to connect the wires to the wireless card first, then install the card.