Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows updating

• Please log in to reply

John Bull

John Bull

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
I apologize for asking a simple question, it will probably be the shortest thread in history, but honestly to my shame I do not know the answer.

Question :- I do not have IE installed on my PC, I use Firefox. Can my Windows receive and action all the Microsoft updates without any problems ? I have Windows set on Automatic Updating.

I use Windows XP Home and SP3.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
You cannot install Windows without having Internet Explorer isnatlled also it is part of the Operating System, by default on XP Home you should have IE 6 installed.

You will have no problem doing your Windows Update if you use Firefox as your main browser, windows will update itself anyway and should also update your IE6 to IE8

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
AND if you have uninstalled IE you are strongly advised to re install it and simply delete the shortcut from the desktop, if you so wish

Internet Explorer is an integral part of Windows and is used by aspects of Windows other than its basic function as a browser.

See this
http://kb.mozillazin...AQs_:_Remove_IE
and the answer to your question is that you can visit the update site and download updates on Firefox, but you will not automatically download updates and install OR automatically download and choose when to install

and indeed of course the proof is readily obtained simply visit the Update site and see what is offered

John Bull

John Bull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
LATEST - I have now got IE working perfectly with the Windows update facility checking my update needs OK. I solved the Activex plug-in matter.

Updates are now coming in. Some are accepted and others are not. Why some are and some are not baffles me, but I just keep feeding them in as they come along, ignoring permanent failures.

Using Sandboxie Windows security updates are not too important. I will stick with my Windows XP Home with SP3 until 2014 when MS kill it, then install a new Windows version.

Unless you have any relevant comments to make on this issue, I consider the matter closed and thank you all.

John Bull

John Bull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
LATEST - I have now got IE working perfectly with the Windows update facility checking my update needs OK. I solved the Activex plug-in matter.

Updates are now coming in. Some are accepted and others are not. Why some are and some are not baffles me, but I just keep feeding them in as they come along, ignoring permanent failures.

Using Sandboxie Windows security updates are not too important. I will stick with my Windows XP Home with SP3 until 2014 when MS kill it, then install a new Windows version.

Unless you have any relevant comments to make on this issue, I consider the matter closed and thank you.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Thanks for posting the result

No other comment

Regards