Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Severe graphics problems

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
send me this please

Run this please and send me the results

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others).

Go to: http://www.pCPitstop.com

Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive

In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!" OR YOU CAN RUN THE TEST ANON. without signing up. - you will see that at the end of that screen. The results will still be saved long enough for me to look at them.

If you do wish to sign up - for some reason

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)

You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.

Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed. - Please do not follow any procedures, until I have seen it for the reason outlined above

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

PLEASE DO NOT RUN ANY other tests on offer

Advertisements

trosco

trosco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Well tonight nothing wants to work. After starting it up, I can't even get firefox or IE to work...I think that the time for this pc is nearing. The screen turns black every 2-3 seconds, and nothing works. This isn't because of the improvised cooler because it happened once before. There's a chance the problems will calm down, maybe I could even try the pcpitstop overdrive (I've tried to run it before and IE didn't work, and firefox wouldn't let me install that program needed to make it compatible), so I could give it a few tries or do something else - I'm thinking of doing 2 things:
-try a different video card - would my nvidia gts250 work? (not as a permanent solution, just to know if the video card is the problem)
-take it to the place I've bought it from and have them run their tests (which are stress tests as far as I know - like the ones everest has)

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
Your motherboard as an AGP slot and the nvidia gts250 is for PCI-Express slot so it will not be compatible, try to find a known good working AGP video card and see if the results are the same.

trosco

trosco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Sorry for the long delay in responding, I was out on vacation away from home. When I came back, I spoke with someone to lend me a gpu, but something else happened. The power source broke, I think it's because of a power surge which occured a few days ago (I have a surge protector, but it's a cheap one). So I have to buy a new power source for the pc at the moment. I will be back in a few days.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
trosco

I will be back in a few days

Do you have an update for us please

trosco

trosco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Sorry for the delay, I came back from a trip abroad 4 days ago, and just today I was going to buy a new power source. I'll have it in place by tonight and a new update. Again, thank you for watching this topic and I hope I wasn't rude by letting you wait so long.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Not at all
Hope you had a good trip
Wait to hear from you

trosco

trosco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
well, the shop that I knew was open on Saturdays closed down, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow now.

trosco

trosco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Just bought a new cheap power source and mounted it. Everything works fine (except I've lost one of the optical drives). But the graphics problems persist. Also every time I start it up chkdsk starts and I can't cancel it (even though it says to press any key to cancel). It checks drive D:, says it's ok, and starts-up after 1-2 minutes. I would prefer to tend to this after fixing the graphics, as it is very hard to work with the computer.
I'll call tomorrow the store where I bought the graphics card, maybe they can swap my card for another one just to check, for free.
But if the problem is software related, could swapping the card be a solution? I would like to rule out only a hardware problem, is trying a new card the surest way to do that?
Also, is there anything I can do with the old power source? Is repairing it an option?

trosco

trosco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
I bought a new video card and it works fine now. It's not a very good one, but it does the job. Anyway, thank you very much for your help and implication helping me!

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I apologise for missing your post.

Are the problems of the autochk - diskchk on boot now solved as well

The answer to can the PSU be repaired is NOT unless you have the knowledge and even then - depending on the ability to id the faulty component and of course replace it if testing is confined to connecting it, the definite answer is NO. It is simply NOT worth the risk. - to YOU and indeed to anything you connect it to.

see my post 6 on here
http://www.geekstogo...__fromsearch__1