Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

need insructions to do clean install win XP Home

• Please log in to reply

joanelaine

joanelaine

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
Hi everyone.

I did a clean install on my XP home computer last year and it went well. The thing is I've forgotten how I did it (doh). I followed step by step instructions and I think from here somewhere,now the computer works well is nice and fast.My friend's computer is about 6 yrs old too and very slow so I've offered to do a clean install for her. I need to find those instructions again though because I followed them step by step and it worked well.I won't be doing it for a week or so because I have other commitments but I want to get organised.
Many thanks for any help.
Regards, Joan.

Advertisements

Nedklaw

Nedklaw

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,652 posts
Hello, joanelaine! :wave:

:welcome: I'm Nedklaw and I'll be glad to help you. :)

I think I know the instructions you are talking about.
The page here gives you some more information about how to do a reformat.

Let me know how you get on! :thumbsup:

joanelaine

joanelaine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Hi Nedklaw,
Many thanks for the link, that is what I need. I've bookmarked that information for when I am ready to do it for my friend, probably not for about a week but I will come back as I'm sure to get into some sort of trouble. Whatever happens I will come back and let you know if I was successful. I just read it all and I don't remember creating a csv file for the address book. I know I didn't save all the folders in O.E., when I did mine, they just appeared "somehow", and I think from memory (which seems to be bad at the moment), I just saved my address book to a flash drive then imported it into O.E. Oh dear I hope I don't get into trouble. I didn't worry so much when I did my own computer but when you do it for someone else it's a bit of a worry.
My friend doesn't have an XP operating disk so I will use mine and her registration key.
I have a couple of medical tests during the next week or so that's why I can't do it just yet, but it's been worrying me because I needed the instructions.
Thank you again for you help.
joanelaine.

joanelaine

joanelaine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
I'm back again,
I will be going to my friends home tomorrow to do the clean install of Windows XP Home. I will use my disk SP3 because she doesn't have one, and of course her product key. I'm a little worried about the driver for her motherboard. I had the driver for mine on a disk that came with the motherboard that was replaced prior to when I did that clean install so I didn't have to download anything. I've asked her to find any disks that came with her computer but I am pretty sure she doesn't have a disk with drivers on it. Would you kindly tell me how to go about getting the driver or drivers if I need them. There was a link on the page you gave me to read but one has to buy the program for drivers and I'm pretty sure she won't do that. I'm trying to save her money by doing this for her. I'm guessing I just have to Google her motherboard to get the driver BUT then how do I get it into wherever it has to go. Sorry to sound so dumb and you are probably thinking I shouldn't even be doing this but I didn't have any problems when I did it on my computer and I can follow instructions.
Thank you very much,
joanelaine

Nedklaw

Nedklaw

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,652 posts
Hi. :)
You should be fine but notify me of any problems.

If any drivers need updating after the reinstall then you should be able to download them off the manufacturer's website.

joanelaine

joanelaine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Thank you Nedklaw,
I will let you know how I go, or if I get into trouble.
Many thanks,
Joanelaine.

joanelaine

joanelaine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
I couldn't do the clean install yesterday. My friend's computer is an Optima and they have gone into liquidation I discovered yesterday when I went to her home to do it. I tried Double driver and a and another one but I couldn't make sense of them, plus Ddriver took a couple of hours, then I couldn't understand it. I think my only option today is to try a repair. Honestly looking at her computer I don't think it's worth the trouble, her optical drive doesn't work, it reads but won't write, so I had to back up her data to a flash drive, the optical drive tray doesn't even open unless I open it with a paper clip.
I will try a repair today if that doesn't make things better for my friend she can have my desktop that I did a clean install on. I don't use it and there is no data, just Windows.Now I have to get instructions for doing a repair, if you are there could you direct me to those instructions. I am in Austrlia in the am.
Many thnaks for help,
joanelaine.

Nedklaw

Nedklaw

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,652 posts
Hi. :)

I don't know anything about computer repairs as I specialize in malware removal.
I suggest you start a new topic here and let one of the Techs assist you with your repairs.

joanelaine

joanelaine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
I'm doing the repair so will start another thread if I get into trouble, thanks anyway,
joanelaine

joanelaine

joanelaine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
I've given up, I.E. wouldn't work at all. During the repair I was asked to browse for "something" and didn't know what to do, so continued. she is using Firefox at the moment but even that doesn't open on a click she has to right click to open. After 2 long days I gave up. I will bring that computer home to my place though because there has to be some way of getting the drivers even though the company is in liquidation. I'll give it a rest for awhile though as I'm sick of it. First time I've failed.
joanelaine.