Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cursor is misbehaving

• Please log in to reply

Jiraiya22

Jiraiya22

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm having strange problems with my cursor. I say cursor and not mouse because I've tried 2 different mouses and had the same problem with both, so sorry for posting in the hardware sub but I wasn't really sure where else to put this. I usually use a USB mouse and I've been having some issues where my mouse would pause for a second or two before responding to what I was doing or wouldn't move in the way I wanted it to. It wouldn't have been much of a problem except I like League of Legends and other clicky games so a second of unresponsiveness was a problem. I replaced the battery in the mouse several times to no effect. The problem got bad enough that I decided to try replacing my mouse, so I borrowed a friends mouse. Same issue. I switched mouse pads, switched the USB port I was using, restarted the computer and have tried multiple games and it's only getting worse. I'm not really sure what else to try and I don't want to buy a new mouse unless I'm sure that's the problem. Can anybody help me?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
:welcome: Jiraiya22

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is provide the model name or series number (not serial) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

Jiraiya22

Jiraiya22

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
It's a custom build desktop running windows 7. I just built the thing a few months ago and I'm not running anything more exhaustive than League so I don't think it's a processor issue, especially since I'm not experiencing any lag or frame rate problems. Any other information I can provide?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Do you have any wireless equipment, cordless telephones or microwave devices near your computer,
Have you tried a wired PS2 type mouse.

Desktop fans are another thing that can cause unusual behavior from computer hardware such as the mouse.

Jiraiya22

Jiraiya22

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a wireless router near my computer, but one of the mouses I tried is wired so I don't think wireless interference is the problem. I don't have a desktop fan. I'm thinking it might be my mouse pad since both the ones I used were kind of ratty and when I switched to a blue notebook it improved, although I still sometimes have moments of unresponsiveness.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Some testing for you to do;

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop...pit/default.asp
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Thanks to rshaffer61 for the PCPitstop instructions :thumbsup: