Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Notepad (.txt) files will not open when double-clicking icon

• Please log in to reply

bluesub90

bluesub90

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Good morning!

I have an issue where I attempt to double click on a .txt file icon, on my desktop for example, a windows script host pop up is displayed, "Can not find script file C:\WINDOWS\(my username).vbs"

I think this problem originated when I discovered malware from last month which was remedied here, but I am noticing this issue now.

I can right click on the icon and "open with" notepad and it opens correctly. But is there any remedy to fix the option of opening while double-clicking?

Thank you--

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Find a .txt file, right click on it and Open With. Select Choose Program, Notepad but before you say OK, check the option to Always use the selected program to open this kind of file.

bluesub90

bluesub90

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
...wow...was that really it?!

:blush:

thank you kindly! :)