Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer will not run correctly after removing malware

• Please log in to reply

amayzzing

amayzzing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
tdx and afd were already started.
nsi ran an error code "system error 1058 has occured. The service cannot be started either becuase it is disabled of because it has no enabled devices blah blah blah".

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
I assume nsi is also disabled so let's try to fix it.

Right click on Computer and select Manage. Continue. Services and Application then Services. Find Network Store Interface Service and right click on it and select Properties then change the Startup Type from Disabled to Automatic. Apply.

amayzzing

amayzzing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
ok I ran nsi and it said it was started successfully

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
so will dhcp start?

net start dhcp

amayzzing

amayzzing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I lied, dhcp was what started up correctly, yes.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
OK. If DHCP is started then let's see if you can get on the internet now.

ipconfig  /release

ipconfig  /renew

Do you get an error message after the ipconfig /renew? If not try the internet.

amayzzing

amayzzing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
error message "No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media disconnected." For both.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
OK. How do you connect to the internet? Hopefully with a cable to a router or dsl/cable modem. Is the cable good?

amayzzing

amayzzing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
It's wireless through a modem, appears to be fine becuase it's working with laptop, xbox live etc. We use a plugin in our usb to connect wirelessly. It's at the back of the tower, basically we can never get to it so it's never been touched since we set it up.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
Does it see any wireless connections available? Are you using the wireless adapter's software or Windows' software to control the wireless? Is it encrypted?

Advertisements

amayzzing

amayzzing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I'm going to best answer your questions even though I am clueless.

I think that we use the windows settings to control the internet. However i'm not positive as we have never had an issue with the internet before and i have never had to do anything with the connection etc. I am not sure if it's encrypted.

When I go into devices, it shows up but it's not connected. I click on connect to a network, and it says currently connect to open network and sharing center. So i tried setting up a new network. It runs through the process and says "windows did not detect any networking hardware." I troubleshooted teh internet connections and it says "The diagnostic Policy Service is not running".

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
Go back into Services (like we did for DHCP Client) and find "Diagnostic Policy" Check if it is set to Startup Type: Automatic. If not change it. Apply and try and start it. If it is already at automatic, try starting it. What error do you get?

Right click on Computer and select Manage then Device Manager. Double click on Network Adapters and it should show you the network adapters that it knows. Do you see one for your wireless? right click on it and select Properties. Does it say "This device is working properly." under Device Status? If you don't see it you will need to download the wireless driver for your computer from the PC maker's website using a good computer and transfer it to the sick one.

amayzzing

amayzzing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
ok, diagnostic policy service appears to be started ok, no error code. It says started under status column.

I did notice that the next items, "diagnostic service host" and 'diagnostic system host" were disabled.

The device for our wireless connection is there and it is working properly.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
On mine the diagnostic service host is started but set to Manual. The diagnostic system host is not started and is also set to Manual.

I think I would download the latest driver for your wireless from the PC maker's website and try and install it.

amayzzing

amayzzing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
It seems really screwed up...

I ran the disk that came with the adapter AND I downloaded the latest version, copied it to cd and tried to download it. BOTH times I got an error message saying "error 1719. Windows Installer service could not be accessed. Contact personnel to verfiy that it is properly registered and enabled".