Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

virus [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Hello,

Also, for some reason my integrated webcam is not working any more. I haven't used it since about a week before my computer got infected and it worked fine but I tried it last week and then again today and I keep getting a message from skype that says it could find a web cam. Could that have anything to do with the infection? or something else all together?

I'm not sure. The OTL log shows that the Webcam program is installed. The OTL scan shows that the Webcam process is started and it loads at windows startup.
Do you have a Webcam icon in the system tray (the icons next to the windows time)?

Your Windows needs Service Pack 1 installed. When that is done, assuming you didn't find a problem in the steps above, the webcam problem may resolve itself.

As for the ESET scan, see if there is a log.txt file in the following location:
C:\Program Files\ESET\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt
If the log.txt file is there, copy and paste it into your next reply.

Step-1.

Update Windows

• Click the Start Orb Posted Image
  • Place the mouse cursor over All Programs and a list of programs will appear.
  • Find Windows Update and click it. A Windows Update window will open up.
  • Under Download and install updates for your computer, install all important updates. Service Pack 1 should be one of them.

Step-2.

Clear the Java Cache

• Click the Start Orb Posted Image and click Control Panel.
  • (using Classic View), double-click the Java Icon. (looks like a coffee cup)
    • On the General tab, under Temporary Internet Files, click the Settings button.
    • Next, click on the Delete Files button
    • There are three options in the window to clear the cache - Make sure only the following are checked:
      • Applications and Applets
      • Trace and Log Files
    • Click the OK button.
      [Note:] This deletes ALL the Downloaded Applications and Applets from the CACHE.
  • Click OK to leave the Temporary Files Window
  • Click OK to leave the Java Control Panel.
  • Back on the Control Panel window, clickControl Panel Home in the list on the left to restore the Windows 7 control panel.
  • Close the Control Panel

Step-3.

Posted Image UPDATE JAVA

Your version of Java is out of date. Older versions have vulnerabilities that malicious sites can use to exploit and infect your system. Please follow these steps to remove older versions of Java components and update:

• Please download JavaRa to your desktop.
    • Click the Download button next to Windows Binary (.zip) Version 1.16 to download JavaRA and unzip it to its own folder.
  • Run JavaRa.exe
  • Pick the language of your choice and click Select. Then click Remove Older Versions. Accept any prompts.
    Posted Image
  • Open JavaRa.exe again and select Search For Updates.
  • Select Update Using Sun Java's Website then click Search and click on the Open Webpage button. Download and install the latest Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version for your computer.
    • The most current version is Java SE 7u5. You want the 64bit version.

Step-4.

Update Adobe Reader

Earlier versions of Adobe Reader have known security flaws so it is recommended that you update your copy.
  • Go to Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs
  • Windows Vista /7 Users: Click the Start Orb and click Control Panel. Under the Programs heading click Uninstall a program
  • Remove ALL instances of Adobe Reader
  • Re-boot your computer as required.
  • Once ALL versions of Adobe Reader have been uninstalled, download the latest version of Adobe Reader from Here.
  • Click the box next to Yes, install McAfee Security Scan Plus-optional to remove the check mark.
  • Click the Download Now button to download Adobe Reader and follow the directions.
Alternative Option: After uninstalling Adobe Reader, you could try installing Foxit Reader from HERE. Foxit Reader is a much smaller program. It has fewer add-ons therefore loads more quickly.

Step-5

Things For Your Next Post:
1. The ESET log.txt log (If it was there)
2. Let me know how the Windows and program updates went
3. Let me know if you found a problem with the Imaging device in Device Manager, and if you didn't, let me know if updating Windows solved the problem with the Webcam.

Advertisements

starlingdarlinf

starlingdarlinf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
ok so I went through all the steps and I checked where you said the ESET log would be and its the one I sent you in my last post. Thats all that is there. Its the only log in the entire folder.

The windows update and downloads when smooth no issues except when I restarted my computer as directed when it came back on McAfee came up saying that "spyware detection" was disabled. Should I turn it back on??

Lastly, I do not have a camera icon in system tray unless I click customize but when I click on the camera there it says that the program is not active. I also looked for it in the imaging devices of the device manager. It is there and says that it is working properly, however when I try to turn on the camera through programs like skype it says that the program could not find a camera. Also I didnt notice this until today I use to have a short cut to the dell web camera center on my start tab but it is no longer there and I all cannot find it when I click all programs on the start tab either. Is there anything else I can do?

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Hello,

ok so I went through all the steps and I checked where you said the ESET log would be and its the one I sent you in my last post. Thats all that is there. Its the only log in the entire folder.

If that's all there is, that's all there is. I just haven't ever seen a ESET log that short.

The windows update and downloads when smooth no issues except when I restarted my computer as directed when it came back on McAfee came up saying that "spyware detection" was disabled. Should I turn it back on??

Yes, turn the detection back on. and I'm glad the updates went smoothly.

Lastly, I do not have a camera icon in system tray unless I click customize...

I don't know what you mean by "when I click on customize". Please explain.

Also I didnt notice this until today I use to have a short cut to the dell web camera center on my start tab but it is no longer there and I all cannot find it when I click all programs on the start tab either.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean here either. Are you talking about pinning a program icon to the Start Menu?

If you use a program regularly, you can create a shortcut to it by pinning the program icon to the Start menu. Pinned program icons appear on the left side of the Start menu, above the horizontal line.

Posted Image

starlingdarlinf

starlingdarlinf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
ok when I look at the system tray there is an up arrow after all the icons when I click on the arrow more icons come up and at the bottom it says customize. There is no webcam icon unless I click on that. Does that make sense?

yes pinning the program to the start menu is what I am talking about. I used to have the dell webcam center pinned on my start menu and it is no longer there. Furthermore when I click on all programs on the start menu the dell webcam program is not there either. I hope I have clarified. As I mention before I am not very computer savy. Thanks again.

Edited by starlingdarlinf, 22 July 2012 - 09:43 PM.

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Hi,

Please see if you have the following folder on your computer:

Click the Start Orb, highlight All Programs and click Accessories.
From the list under Accessories, click Windpws Explorer. The explorer window will open up.
Clikc the arrow beside Computer
Click the arrow beside OS (C:)
Click the arrow beside Program Files (X86)
Look for a folder named Dell Webcam. If it is there click the arrow beside it.
Look for a folder named Dell Webcam Central. If it is there click the folder.
In the list of files and folders on the right, look for a file named WebcamDell2.exe. If it is there, double click it to run the webcam program.
The Webcam program should run and you will see the webcam icon in the system tray.
Right click on it and click Start Dell Webcam Central when Windows starts
Reboot the computer and see if the webcam icon is still in the system tray. If it isn't you will likely need to uninstall the program from Control Panel and re-install it.

If the program icon remains in the system tray and the webcam works, let me know and we will work on adding it to the Start menu.

starlingdarlinf

starlingdarlinf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
There is no windows explorer under accessories and there is no dell webcam under Program Files(X86)

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Hi starlingdarlinf,

...and there is no dell webcam under Program Files(X86)

That's strange.

The OTL log shows the Webcam process:
PRC - [2010/08/19 17:06:56 | 000,487,562 | ---- | M] (Creative Technology Ltd) -- C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell Webcam\Dell Webcam Central\WebcamDell2.exe

The OTL log shows the webcam loading at Windows startup:
O4 - HKLM..\Run: [Dell Webcam Central] C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell Webcam\Dell Webcam Central\WebcamDell2.exe (Creative Technology Ltd)
And it doesn't show that the WebcamDell2.exe file is not found.

The OTL log shows that Dell Webcam Central is installed:
========== HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE Uninstall List ==========
"Dell Webcam Central" = Dell Webcam Central

Both the Process and the 04 entry show the WebcamDell2.exe file in the C:\Program Files (X86\Dell Webcam\Dell Webcam Central folder.

The only thing I can suggest is that you uninstall the Dell Webcam Central program from Control Panel then find the disk with the Dell Webcam Central program (it should have been included in the disks that Dell sent with the computer) and reinstall the program.

Step-1.

Locate the disk containing the Dell Webcam Central program.

Step-2.

Uninstall the Webcam Program

1. Please click the Start Orb, click Control Panel. Under the Programs heading click Uninstall a program
2. In the list of programs installed, locate the following program(s):

Dell Webcam Central

3. (Vista/7 users: right click the program and click Uninstall
4. After the programs have been uninstalled, close the Installed Programs window and the Control Panel.
5. Reboot the computer.

Delete the folders associated with the uninstalled programs.(Only do this if you uninstalled the program)

1. Using Windows Explorer (to get there right-click your Start button and click Explore or Windows Explorer
2. Please delete the following folders(s) (if present):

C:\Program Files (X86)\Dell Webcam

3. Close Windows Explorer.

If you are able to uninstall the webcam program in Step 2, go on to Step 3. If you get message saying that the program could not be uninstalled or the uninstall file is missing, STOP and let me know.

Step-3.

Re-install the Dell Webcam Central program from the disk

Step-4.

Things For Your Next Post:
1. Let me know how it went.

starlingdarlinf

starlingdarlinf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
ok the only disc that came with my computer is a "dell drivers and utlites P/N JK16W Rev. A00 Novemeber 2010" but it does not tell me which programs are on it. Is that correct one?

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
No, I'm afraid that's not it.
It should be on a disk by itself. Dell sent it along with other disks when I purchased my laptop.
It's titled:
Dell
Application
Already Installed on your computer

For Reinstalling Dell Webcam Central

I also got a Drivers and Utilities disk
A Operating System disk
A Roxio Creator disk
A Cyberlink Power DVD disk
A Microsoft Works disk ect;

If they didn't send a disk, or you can't find it, you can download the program from Dell.

Go to this Dell page
  • Under the Table of Contents, click the third link Uninstall and Reinstall the Webcam Central Software
  • Under the Windows 7/Vista heading, SKIP the section titled:
    • To uninstall the Dell webcam central software, perform the following steps:

and go to the section titled:

• To download the latest version of Webcam Central for your Dell computer, perform the following steps:
  • Follow the directions there to download the latest version of Dell Webcam Central
NOTE: You must use Internet Explorer for this.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Advertisements