Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help removing Trojan.Dropper.BCMiner [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK how is the system now ?

Advertisements

steven.weintraub

steven.weintraub

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Came up fine and seems OK. I had to head off to another 12 hour shift, so wasn't able to check out Windows Security/Defender/FW. I'm assuming they work after the .reg changes and will confirm later today/tonight when I get home around 7:30 PM EST.

Was there anything in the legacy*.reg files that was needed? How did the FSS output look to you? Are you ready to declare it cleansed yet? If so, can you provide the cleanup steps for removing tools, etc. and anything else I'll need to wrap up? I'd like to knock that out tonight when I get home and post any final logs/etc.

I'm free Monday, so anything left can be handled in real-time. Thanks again for the help. I'll look for your reply.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
At this stage if the Windows Security/Defender/FW. work we should be good to go, the legacy keys are not a major problem

steven.weintraub

steven.weintraub

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Let's assume that they're working for now. Can you post the next steps so that I can run them when I get home in 11 hours? I'll check Windows stuff first and if OK, will follow the next stuff and reply either way. That will save some time and allow me to make more progress tonight even if you're not around.

I'm referring to safely removing the quarantined items, OTL, MBAM, and/or whatever else I've seen you proscribe for others at the end. Thanks!

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I turned on UAC. It's a pain to confirm actions, but better safe than sorry....

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
It is a good policy to have UAC turned on .. As you have Vista then have a look at this I used it on my old Vista system
Download here

Subject to no further problems :)

I will remove my tools now and give some recommendations, but, I would like you to run for 24 hours or so and come back if you have any problems

Now the best part of the day ----- Your log now appears clean :thumbsup:

A good workman always cleans up after himself so..The following will implement some cleanup procedures as well as reset System Restore points:

Run OTL
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following

:Commands
    [resethosts]
    [emptytemp]
    [Reboot]

• Then click the Run Fix button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered, reboot the PC when it is done

Remove ComboFix

• Hold down the Windows key + R on your keyboard. This will display the Run dialogue box
  • In the Run box, type in ComboFix /Uninstall (Notice the space between the "x" and "/") then click OK

Posted Image
  • Follow the prompts on the screen
  • A message should appear confirming that ComboFix was uninstalled

Run OTL and hit the cleanup button. It will remove all the programmes we have used plus itself.

We will now confirm that your hidden files are set to that, as some of the tools I use will change that
  • Go to control panel
  • Select folder options (Appearance > Folder options in category view)
  • Select the View Tab.
  • Under the Hidden files and folders heading select Do not show hidden files and folders.
  • Click Yes to confirm.
  • Click OK.

Posted Image
Your Java is out of date. Older versions have vulnerabilities that malware can use to infect your system.
Please follow these steps to remove older version of Java components and upgrade the application.

Upgrading Java:
  • Go to this site and click Do I have Java
  • It will check your current version and then offer to update to the latest version

SPRING CLEAN

To manually create a new Restore Point
  • Go to Control Panel and select System
  • Select System
  • On the left select System Protection and accept the warning if you get one
  • Select System Protection Tab
  • Select Create at the bottom
  • Type in a name i.e. Clean
  • Select Create

Now we can purge the infected ones
  • GoStart > All programs > Accessories > system tools
  • Right click Disc cleanup and select run as administrator
  • Select Your main drive and accept the warning if you get one
  • For a few moments the system will make some calculations
  • Select the More Options tab
  • In the System Restore and Shadow Backups select Clean up
  • Select Delete on the pop up
  • Select OK
  • Select Delete

Now that you are clean, to help protect your computer in the future I recommend that you get the following free programmes:
Posted Image
Malwarebytes. Update and run weekly to keep your system clean

Download and install FileHippo update checker and run it monthly it will show you which programmes on your system need updating and give a download link

It is critical to have both a firewall and anti virus to protect your system and to keep them updated. To keep your operating system up to date visit

To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read our little guide How did I get infected in the first place ?

Keep safe :wave:

steven.weintraub

steven.weintraub

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I opened Windows Security Center and it said that Windows FW was off. I tried to turn it on, but it said that Security Center can't turn on Windows FW. I tried to "Turn it on manually". It said it wasn't using the recommended settings, so I hit the button to update settings now (based on details = firewallSettings.exe 4) and not sure it that did anything. I received no indication one way or another. I used the Turn Windows FW on or off (details = FirewallSettings.exe 0) which said that the associated service was not started. I responded YES to the option to start it. That produced the same "Windows cannot start the Windows FW service." It's not up.

On a positive note, Windows defender seems to be working now.

Security Center still thinks I'm using Symantec AV (Win64) with the usual it's reporting status to WSC in a format that's no longer supported. Thing is that Symantec isn't started. MBAM is running. I'd like to uninstall Symantec again, but that's when I ran into issues after reboot with the KSOD. Just need to make sure I have a good restore point before doing so. Seems like I have several copies, so sure one will work, but will save another before I do anything.

I'd like to get Windows FW working and also have WSC recognize MBAM for Virus protection. I know that I don't want multiple AV stuff running, do can/should Defender be used along with MBAM AV?

Please let me know what to do next. I haven't performed any cleanup. Need this remaining issues resolved first.

steven.weintraub

steven.weintraub

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I went into Services and Disabled Symantec AV. It was not started. The three other Symantec related services were already disabled. MBAM service is started and set to Automatic(delayed).

Windows Firewall is set to Automatic, it is obviously stopped. I tried starting it manually and it did provide more information via msg: "Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start." I looked under Dependencies and it listed two services: Base Filtering Engine (legacy_bfe was one of the .reg files that failed to merge with the Registry). I tried to start the BFE service manually, but it failed with msg "Error 5: Access is denied."

The other was Window FW Authorization Driver which I can't find under Services. Not sure what that is or where to look.

Edited by steven.weintraub, 15 July 2012 - 06:25 PM.

steven.weintraub

steven.weintraub

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
OK. Did some Google searching and found advice on Microsoft forums. They provided .reg files for the legacy ones that you provided that merged and worked. Windows FW is up and happy (BFE is started).

I used add/remove to uninstall Symantec AV Win64 and LiveUpdate 3.3 programs.

Next up, following your cleanup instructions....

NOTE: ftp://ftp.symantec.com/misc/sabu/norton_labs/NUACx64.exe FILE NOT FOUND. While looking for another location, I found the following which describes some negative things that can happen if it runs into issues. http://www.fixdllexe...exe-498592.html
I think I'll live with native UAC for now.

Edited by steven.weintraub, 15 July 2012 - 09:37 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
As long as you are happy that is the main thing.. I will check out the legacy entries

steven.weintraub

steven.weintraub

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I think I'm good to go. :thumbsup: Certainly, happier than when I ran into this nasty bug. :D But I'd be even happier if I could get my hands around the neck of the %$#%^%$% that created this thing. :angry: :tazz:

I'll see how it behaves over the next week or so and reply once more after I get back from vacation... Talk to you then. If all is well, I'll hit that Paypal button so that the next pint or three is on me. :beer:

Edited by steven.weintraub, 16 July 2012 - 09:59 AM.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Sounds good young sir, being old and forgetfull if I should inadvertently close this thread then shoot me a PM

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.