Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bad pool header BSOD on fresh wipe

• Please log in to reply

colonel2link

colonel2link

• Pip
  • 9 posts
So, I've never actually posted to ask for help before. For years looking at other people's solutions has been enough, but now I'm at my wits end.
I wiped my laptop last month and installed a fresh copy of windows 7 x64. I got a couple of BSODS in that month (I got them at about the same rate before wiping), but then I've had around 4 in the past two days (most of which has the bad pool header error). I just got a driver update program hoping it would maybe help fix the BSODs, but if anything it might be what's making it worse. What kind of info do I need to give you guys to help you help me?

I'm running a Toshiba Satellite L505D-GS6000 with 4GB of RAM. It's 2 years old.

Thanks!

Edited by colonel2link, 11 July 2012 - 08:33 AM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Two things to do before anything else.

1. Check your RAM:

Download Memtest86+ (you want the 2nd one Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)). Unzip it then create a CD from the iso file using your CD burning software. There is a good freeware burner called ImgBurn which will do this easily.

DO NOT burn the .iso file directly to CD. It must be used as input to a program that knows what to do with it, like the one I mentioned above.

Boot the CD and run for at least 3 complete passes unless it shows errors sooner than that.

2. Check your hard drive:

Check the hard drive with the manufacturer's diagnostic tools.
Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp.
Bootable Hard Drive Diagnostics

If problems with either then that is most likely the cause of the problems.

colonel2link

colonel2link

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for the response. I ran both tests and got no errors. What's my next move? I haven't had any BSODs since I posted, and I think the only change I've made is uninstalling UltraIso. But I had that installed right after my OS so I wouldn't think it would take a month to start acting up like that.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
colonel2link

Do you still wish to pursue the examination of what may have been the cause please.

colonel2link

colonel2link

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Yes please! I doubt the problem has been more than delayed.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Send me this please click the analyse tab and scroll down for the reports and then copy and paste the crash reports and their conclusion.

http://www.resplende...rashedSetup.exe

Intro and other details not required.

http://www.resplende...whocrashed_help

colonel2link

colonel2link

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
System Information (local)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

windows version: Windows 7 Service Pack 1, 6.1, build: 7601
windows dir: C:\Windows
CPU: AuthenticAMD AMD Turion™ II Dual-Core Mobile M500 AMD586, level: 16
2 logical processors, active mask: 3
RAM: 4022513664 total
VM: 2147352576, free: 1991462912

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Wed 7/11/2012 2:10:45 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\071112-43399-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x80640)
Bugcheck code: 0x19 (0x20, 0xFFFFFA80049A6918, 0xFFFFFA80049A7838, 0x5F2F260)
Error: BAD_POOL_HEADER
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a pool header is corrupt.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 7/11/2012 2:10:45 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0)
Bugcheck code: 0x19 (0x20, 0xFFFFFA80049A6918, 0xFFFFFA80049A7838, 0x5F2F260)
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Tue 7/10/2012 6:10:55 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\071012-32245-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: hal.dll (hal+0x7B7F)
Bugcheck code: 0x19 (0x20, 0xFFFFFA80055B9D80, 0xFFFFFA80055B9DF0, 0xC070015)
file path: C:\Windows\system32\hal.dll
description: Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

On Tue 7/10/2012 2:43:16 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\071012-37627-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x80640)
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFFA800A0ED000, 0x0, 0xFFFFF80002AC0050, 0x0)
Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.

On Tue 7/3/2012 12:55:02 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\070212-19468-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntfs.sys (Ntfs+0x5A88)
Bugcheck code: 0x24 (0x1904FB, 0xFFFFF880087D88D8, 0xFFFFF880087D8130, 0xFFFFF880012E2027)
Error: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ntfs.sys
description: NT File System Driver
Bug check description: This indicates a problem occurred in the NTFS file system.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

On Fri 6/29/2012 3:45:17 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\062912-21949-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x24 (0x1904FB, 0xFFFFF88002FCB8D8, 0xFFFFF88002FCB130, 0xFFFFF880012C0027)
Bug check description: This indicates a problem occurred in the NTFS file system.

On Mon 6/11/2012 10:59:04 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\061112-22120-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x24 (0x1904FB, 0xFFFFF8800399F6F8, 0xFFFFF8800399EF50, 0xFFFFF80002AFAFD6)

Conclusion

7 crash dumps have been found and analyzed.
Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. Thanks for the log

2. Whilst I look at that those driver update programs, generally speaking, are not to be completely trusted on offering you the correct driver

I see from the Toshiba site that there are downloads for 64 bit Win7 since the computer was new.

http://www.csd.toshi...mily=1073768663

Do you have them please

3. Also does windows 7 itself report any problems

Control Panel

Action Centre - any report there please

Troubleshooting - system and security - check for issues.

4. Run a system file check please

windows button, in search type

cmd

right click entry above and click run as admin at prompt type

sfc /scannow

If it finds violations run it again please until it reports all in order - up to three times.

colonel2link

colonel2link

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
After wiping my HDD I got all of my drivers from Toshiba's site, all for W7 x64. No reports and troubleshooter turned up nothing.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

I just got a driver update program hoping it would maybe help fix the BSODs, but if anything it might be what's making it worse

misunderstanding thought you had used this

Please run the system file check and if you have not already done so please check device manager for any warnings on devices. It is best to click the view tab and click to show hidden devices.

Advertisements

colonel2link

colonel2link

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I got the driver program a few days ago but it only updated one of my drivers. But I downloaded all of them from the Toshiba website.

All clear on Device Manager except for one Unknown Device under Other Devices that has no driver.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I will wait for the results of the SFC but I am signing off in 15 minutes as I am in the UK

Follow this link forthe unknown device please

http://www.sevenforu...wn-devices.html

colonel2link

colonel2link

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Well, I got a BSOD right as a was running the file check. I resolved the Device Manager issue and all the sites say it never causes performance issues. I'll start running the sfc again...

On Mon 6/11/2012 10:59:04 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\061112-22120-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x24 (0x1904FB, 0xFFFFF8800399F6F8, 0xFFFFF8800399EF50, 0xFFFFF80002AFAFD6)

Edited by colonel2link, 12 July 2012 - 07:15 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

Well, I got a BSOD right as a was running the file check. I resolved the Device Manager issue and all the sites say it never causes performance issues

1. The crash report attached to your last post is dated 11 June, so it is not that relevant to cuurent events

2. I can assure you, that the cause of the problems MAY to some extent, have been the unknown device. The unknown device can be caused by errors in driver files and when the system attempts to configure the device ready for use, it cannot find the necessary data

Here is the explanation

http://msdn.microsof...9(v=vs.85).aspx

3. Disconnect ALL devices except the mouse and keyboard.

Try the SFC again

4. If it still crashes and you cannot complete the sytem file check - clean boot it please

http://www.sevenforu...an-startup.html
CHECK please immediately you have it clean booted tbhat your anti-virus is still in operation.

see if it still BSOD and if so send the latest crash report

colonel2link

colonel2link

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I completed the SFC and fixed the Device Manager problem last night. SFC turned up negative for any issues.
My bad on the dump file:

On Fri 7/13/2012 1:04:47 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\071212-39608-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x24 (0x1904FB, 0xFFFFF88002FAF8D8, 0xFFFFF88002FAF130, 0xFFFFF880012F5027)