Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mindspark Toolbar Platform Searchscope Monitor has stopped working.

• Please log in to reply

klbpt1945

klbpt1945

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Mindspark Toolbar Platform Searchscope Monitor has stopped working, got this message after computer was closed during updates. Message says program must be closed, when we close box, computer reboots in an endless loop. Can't keep computer open long enough to troubleshoot.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go

1. See if you can boot to Safe Mode on the F8 key

If you can attempt an uninstall of the Mindspark toolbar and if you have My Web Search as well

2. If that does not work whilst in Safe Mode see if you can use a restore point to a date before this problem

klbpt1945

klbpt1945

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Computer will not boot to Safe mode with F8 key and when the screen, i can't select the Safe Mode option, the mouse nor the arrow keys work on that screen.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
To save us both time please list ALL you have tried and additionally the make and full model if branded and the operating system
Do you have the installation CD for the O/S

klbpt1945

klbpt1945

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
HP Pavilion Elite
Vista O/S
No original installation CD, I do have a set of Recovery Disks

F2, F8, F11 and F12 buttons do not allow you in, so I tried the following:

Turn on computer, put in Recovery Disk #1.

Tell it to run from hard drive, Click "Next"

Take out disk, Click "Finish"

Click "Advanced Options"

"Run Checkup" - all hardware passed

"Microsoft Start-Up Repair Tool" - it repaired 1 item

"Restore Computer to Earlier Time" - computer does not let you do this,it says "No Restore Points have been created". Open "System Protection" to set restore point and get message: "Computer running in limited diagnostic state. If you use System Restore, you cannot undo." Clicked "OK" and it goes back to previous screen. Only option there is "Cancel" and when you click that, it reboots and goes through the same loop again.

Have NOT tried "Recover to Factory Settings".

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I have a suspicion that the recovery disc 1, unless it was used only to access the repair your computer options, if the disc offers such. has commenced a reinstallation of the operating system

Turn on computer, put in Recovery Disk #1.

Tell it to run from hard drive, Click "Next"

Take out disk, Click "Finish"

and that is why you are now presented with no restore points have been created.

EDIT

Although you have not provided the exact model of Elite I see now what you refer to and providing you did not proceed past the option for the repair etc. then it has not of course started the reinstallation.

http://h10025.www1.h...ct=4160012#N696

although that is for Windows 7 the principle is the same.

I suggest you make this CD and boot from it

http://www.geekstogo...over-your-data/

and then folllow the guide and use it to recover your data

ALSO which Elite model please.

and if this

Microsoft Start-Up Repair Tool" - it repaired 1 item

refers to the start up repair on repair my computer, then it only fixes one error at a time, so you should run it until it reports that it cannot repair the error or alternatively another report that indicates it is pointless running it again. However it only fixes windows file problems, it is partially the replacement for the repair install as it was called on XP, so it will not help with a problem if it is within the windows file system

klbpt1945

klbpt1945

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for all your help!