Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screen of Death instantly appears whenever I sign in [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

BuyingALife

BuyingALife

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Just as a little disclaimer, I am not technologically savvy at all, but I feel like with some help I will be able to overcome this issue. With that being said I'd appreciate it if you explained things to me like I'm five. A little more info: I'm currently on a vacation and have pretty limited resources.

The blue screen appeared very often and I have a hunch (60%) that it's malware related as our free antivirus expired a few days before the problem. It's come to the point to where my Asus laptop blue screens within a minute of selecting "Start normally." I believe restoring it to factory settings would do it, but I'm not sure and it would be smart to get an expert's (your) opinion on whether or not this is going to fix the laptop. Nothing on there is important, so I'd like to do a clean sweep.

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this post is in the wrong place.

Cheers.

Additional info:
> Boot repair didn't work.
> Only resource is a second laptop, but I would be able to get DVDs and CDs if necessary.
> It's pretty important as we are taking a lot of online classes in this house. :P
> The infected laptop is using Windows 7

Edited by BuyingALife, 12 July 2012 - 03:54 PM.

Advertisements

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. :)

Just as a little disclaimer, I am not technologically savvy at all, but I feel like with some help I will be able to overcome this issue. With that being said I'd appreciate it if you explained things to me like I'm five. A little more info: I'm currently on a vacation and have pretty limited resources.

Acknowledged, if you could reply back within at least the 72hrs of myself posting this all good and or if you feel may not be able to respond in a timely fashion merely let myself know etc.

I believe restoring it to factory settings would do it, but I'm not sure and it would be smart to get an expert's (your) opinion on whether or not this is going to fix the laptop

That is a option if you machine has what is known as a Recovery Partition which could be invoked too perform a Factory Reset. Which is defacto a reformat and reinstallation of the Windows Operating System...

Or I could attempt a actual Malware Removal process/check, merely let myself know and the exact make and modal of your machine, thank you.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.