Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

KSOD - black screen after windows logo for a long time

• Please log in to reply

z3255859

z3255859

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
ok since the driver update i haven't had any BSOD's yet ... but please read the following as i do get a BSOD under one of the following config.

Just to give you guys some more info ----

I have an external (WD 1TB) drive thats connected by esata. I had my bios enabled to ahci and my registry keys msahci, pciide, iaStorV, iaStor to 0 when i first installed this external hard drive. On my first reboot after changing the bios setting i got a message saying ahci drivers are installing and updating on my drives - they succeeded on all my drives. I never had any problems with it.

recently I flashed my bios to install a more updated version of bios . I put in exactly the same values i had before into the bios ... this includes the ahci setting. ( when i rebooted my pc i got ahci drives installing and updating info on each of my harddrives ---- it installed on my internal hardrive but failed on external)

Now

when i boot my pc with my external harddrive turned off:
* bios checks for ahci drives - detects my internal harddrive (sata 0), cddrive (sata 1) -----( it doesn't detect my external hardrive because its turned off )
* the black screen after windows logo is significantly reduced ( instead of 2-3 min just 45-60 sec )
* obviouly i don't have access to my external hardrive as it is switched off

when I boot my pc with my external hardrive turned on:
*bios checks for ahci drives on boot - detects my internal hardrive(sata 0), cd drive(sata 1) , and my external hardrive (sata 3)
*the black screen after windows logo stays for a long time ( over 3 minutes )
*explorer.exe doesn't work so i have to end task and relaunch it
*I can see the external drive in my computer ( drive H: ) but i can't access it ( when i double click on it the wait sign appears ( blue circle on mouse pointer) and nothing happens )
* shutdown is significantly longer as well

BUT

when i change my bios back to IDE and boot my pc with my external hardrive on:
*pc boots normally ( no ahci check at tthe beginning )
*black screen after windows logo stays for less time 45-60 sec ( same as when i have my external hardrive turned off with hci enabled )
*I can't even see my external hardrive ( there is no H: drive [extrenal drive] in my computer]
*I can't find it in disk management as well
* BSOD after a few minutes ---- ( attached .dmp file ) Attached File  latest .dmp.rar   38KB   117 downloads

Now the main 2 issues i have are:

=> Black screen after windows logo

=> unable to access my external hardrive data

=> BSOD if bios back to IDE + no external drive recognition with this option

Edited by z3255859, 21 July 2012 - 12:37 AM.

Advertisements

Shintaro

Shintaro

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Ok, I'm just going through the latest crash dump.
Just quickly, things to remove:

1/ Any Gigabyte utilities, like Easy Tune, Dynamic Energy Saver, they are know to crash PC's.

gdrv.sys Sat Aug 09 04:28:54 2008

2/ As a test could you please change to a standard USB mouse and re-test. The reason is that game mice / keyboards are poorly supported. And I want to avoid another HID (Human Interface Device) crash.

It looks like some type of file system filter driver is causing the crash.

Edited by Shintaro, 21 July 2012 - 12:53 AM.

z3255859

z3255859

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
I have a GA EP45 UD3R mobo with bios version f12

here is the pics of my BIOS ahci and ide settings:

pic 1 -- ide http://imageshack.us...imag0147rp.jpg/

pic 2 -- ahci http://imageshack.us...imag0148mv.jpg/

z3255859

z3255859

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
removed all gigabyte utilities ( face wizard , q share , energy saver, easy tune , gigabyte raid configurer )

remover my razer mouse --- put in normal/generic logitech usb mouse

Edited by z3255859, 21 July 2012 - 01:10 AM.

Shintaro

Shintaro

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Do you have the latest Chipset drivers.....well the latest for what is on the Gigabyte website.
http://www.gigabyte....pid=3013#driver

Shintaro

Shintaro

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Also you can check with Intel, via their Auto Detect, that you have their latest Chipset drivers: http://www.intel.com...hts/chpsts/imsm

z3255859

z3255859

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
i have the latest gigabyte drivers .. except the last gigabyte sata 2 driver ( raid configurer ) .. i don't need this as i don't have raid

i have the latest intel drivers as well

Shintaro

Shintaro

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Just out of interest, what happens if you connect the WD drive inside the box rather than the eSata port?

This utility from WD can check the WD drive: http://support.wdc.c...&sid=30&lang=en

z3255859

z3255859

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
i have never tried connecting the external drive internally

It has always worked via esata ... i don't think i can connect it internally as i have the SATA cable but i dont have a power cable to connect it

I am 100% positive that my external hardrive is working as i was able to use it perfectly before my BIOS flashing --- however i will try to run the diagnostic tool as well... it will take me some time .

meanwhile anything else let me know

Shintaro

Shintaro

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Let us know if it still crashes. And please post the .dmp files.:cheers:

Advertisements

z3255859

z3255859

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
I cant get the diagnostic utility to work.

i burned the .iso file to a disc ... on restart i chose boot from cd rom option.

it got to a black screen ... then after a long time it said .. no drives found error/status code : 0120

ps --- again ahci detected the external hardrive and then it asked for the boot device .. i chose cd-rom

Shintaro

Shintaro

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
No crashes yet?

z3255859

z3255859

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
none yet as i am trying to run the diagnostic tool from western digital

ps BSOD occur only if my BIOS is in IDE mode and my external drive is turned on ... do you want me to put it back into that setting??

right now i am running BIOS in ahci with external drive on .. i can change it to above if you want

Edited by z3255859, 21 July 2012 - 02:38 AM.

z3255859

z3255859

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
ok i definitely can't get the WD diagnostic utility to work

ps.. i am just looking in my disk management ( This is with ahci bios and external drive H: on ) and i noticed that the external drive File system is RAW .. i am pretty sure this used to be NTFS -- Could this be the reason my pc can't open it

I am attaching a pic for you guys to see what i am saying external drive.jpg

IN my computer ( also in the pic )You will notice how the free space of each drive is displayed except the external drive H: ( itt used to display free space before ) . Now just to reiterate .. my external drive H: is visible in my computer but when i double click to open it my pc just stops .. it doesn't hang but it doesn't open the drive either

Edited by z3255859, 21 July 2012 - 03:00 AM.

z3255859

z3255859

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
also here are the videos of my pc startup in ahci bios and ide bios modes respectively ..

in AHCI bios mode with external hard drive on :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A4vKnoRT7E&feature=youtu.be

• in this vid you will notice that my pc detects external drive during boot up on port 3 ' ( 0:10 - 0:18 in the video)
  • you will also notice how long the black screen is (1:00 - 2:59 in the video)
  • after the welcome screen explorer.exe doesn't work (3:32 in the video) and i have to end task and restart it
  • my external drive is detected but not accessible ( 4:28 - onwards in the video)

in IDE bios mode with external hardrive on :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DrfMRDa0Cw&feature=youtu.be

* in this mode you will notice that there is a black screen after windows logo which lasts for lot less time as compared to ahci ( 0:43 - 1:19 in the video )
* in this mode the external drive doesn't even show up in my computer + there is a BSOD afer a few minutes ( not shown in video )

Edited by z3255859, 21 July 2012 - 03:30 AM.