Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

KSOD - black screen after windows logo for a long time

• Please log in to reply

Shintaro

Shintaro

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Did you have anything on that external drive?
You need it to be NTFS. Possibly that is why it is crashing the file system filter driver.

Edited by Shintaro, 21 July 2012 - 03:42 AM.

Advertisements

z3255859

z3255859

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
ok i just had another BSOD

this is with AHCI bios and external drive on

.dmp attached Attached File  New folder.rar   38.01KB   103 downloads

z3255859

z3255859

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
yes mate

i had some pics and documents on that drive ... i think i can still recover data before formatting it back to NTFS .. i think i saw some recovery tools that recover from RAW drives... i will give that a shot

I think that accounts for the BSOD's ...... what about the long black screens ( KSOD ) ??? is that related to the same problem or is that a whole different issue???

ps If you get a chance please see my ntbtlog.txt file that i uploaded with my first post ... that might give you an idea as to what is running and failing to run during boot.

Shintaro

Shintaro

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
That long black screen is most likely because Windows is trying to read the RAW disk.

BTW that was a good find on your part in disk manager.

z3255859

z3255859

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
cheers

i am gonna try and recover data from it before i re format it

z3255859

z3255859

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
sorry guys for not replying yesterday ... i have been quite busy with work for the last few days ... i am going to try and do it tomorrow ... i'll update you guys as soon as i am done

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you can use puppy linux to recover your data...it loads and runs totally in ram.....guide is here...

z3255859

z3255859

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
thanks @happyrock for that ... Yeah coz i tried doing it with the easus software but i couldn't finish recovering as i got a BSOD ... I will try puppy linux now and update you guys