Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First build - Advice please

• Please log in to reply

Funinak

Funinak

• Pip
  • 8 posts
So this is my first build, as noted my the title, and will primarily be used for gaming. No real budget, but I still want it to be somewhat practical, not too over-the-top. Haven't bought anything yet, would like any suggestions for the build.

Case: CM Storm Trooper
MB: ASRock Z77 Extreme9
CPU: Intel i7-3770k
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100
PSU: Corsair AX1200
GPU: XFX Double D HD 7970 Black Edition
HD: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB
SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 512 GB
RAM: G.SKILL Sniper Low Voltage Series 8GB
Optical Drive: ASUS DVD Burner
Extra Case Fans: Cooler Master SickleFlow

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
:welcome: Funinak

The details below are guidance and not criticisms but your build is rather over the top for gaming, you could significantly reduce the cost but still have an awesome gaming rig, some pointers for you to consider;

The i5 3570k Ivy Bridge will more than suit your needs and far less expensive http://www.microcent...duct_id=0388577

Your aftermarket cooler, a very important thing I must make you aware of is that you do not need the additional heatsink and CPU fan and if you did use it you would void your CPU warranty, Intel are clear on this, see below;

• damage to the Product due to external causes, including accident, problems with electrical power, abnormal electrical, mechanical or environmental conditions, usage not in accordance with product instructions, misuse, neglect, alteration, repair, improper installation, or improper testing;

Full article available @ http://www.intel.com...b/CS-009862.htm

Your choice of PSU is also excessive, it does not hurt (except for your bank balance) to have more power available than you need but you do not need anything like 1200W, having used a PSU calculator and allowing for two HDDs due to your SSD the minimum recommended PSU was 581W http://images10.newe...tage-Calculator

A better and less expensive video card http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130787 and benchmarks http://www.videocard...GeForce GTX 670

For your operating system and favourite game/s you only need an SSD with a storage capacity of between 120 and 128GB and this will also allow for OS updates for years to come http://www.newegg.co...ID=3938566&SID=

Funinak

Funinak

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for the tips!

I'll probably switch out the processor and graphics cards with the ones you mentioned.

I am aware of the warranty issue with aftermarket CPU coolers, but I think the improved temps are worth it.

Though the PSU is a little overkill right now, I was trying to keep it future-proof for a second card in SLI/Crossfire when it would be needed. What wattage would you recommend for that?

With how full my current system hard drive is on my gaming laptop (204 GB), I think I'll go for a 256 GB SSD just to be safe.

Though you didn't say anything about this, what is your opinion on ASRock vs ASUS motherboards?

Funinak

Funinak

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
So after taking your advice, this is my new build.

CPU: Intel i5-3570k
PSU: Corsair AX850
GPU: Gigabyte GV-N670OC-2GD GTX 670 2GB
HD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 256 GB
RAM: G.SKILL Sniper Low Voltage Series 16GB

Anything I missed?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

So after taking your advice, this is my new build.

CPU: Intel i5-3570k
PSU: Corsair AX850
GPU: Gigabyte GV-N670OC-2GD GTX 670 2GB
HD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 256 GB
RAM: G.SKILL Sniper Low Voltage Series 16GB

Anything I missed?

Nice build :thumbsup:

Couple of pointers for you, good choice of PSU both for quality and output requirement ( for both one or two video cards) 8GB of Ram is adequate for your requirements - the other 8GB of Ram will not be used, ASRock and ASUS both make very good and some not so good MBs.

Anything I missed?

I do not see an operating system disk on your list, what will you be using?

Funinak

Funinak

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I have a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium, I just didn't put it on since I have it already.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
32 or 64-bit OS?

Just a cautionary note, unless your OS disk is the full retail edition you cannot use it with a new MB as an OEM disk is tied to the original MB it was paired with.

Exceptions to the above are 1: If your MB is replaced under warranty and 2: If your MB is replaced out of warranty with an alternative type but same brand due to the original model no longer being available, an upgraded MB however will require the purchase of a new OS licence.

Funinak

Funinak

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
It can install either, so I'm going with the 64-bit.

And it is a full retail copy, so I should be fine with the MB issue.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Everything looks good to go when you are ready :thumbsup:

Let us know when you are up and running or if you have any questions at all.

Funinak

Funinak

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for the help! :D

I'll post again when I get the rest of the money and order the parts.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
You are most welcome - I will look out for your update :thumbsup: