Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't get to Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply

Draconian

Draconian

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
When I reboot and press the F8 key nothing happens and I can't get to Safe Mode to perform any of the procedures outlined elsewhere on this site. I've tried pressing F8 at different times during the reboot cycle but it just boots normally.

system Info attached.

Attached Thumbnails

• SysInfo.jpg

Edited by Draconian, 13 July 2012 - 03:24 PM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Try pressing F5 instead of F8, see if that works.

Also, what kind of keyboard do you have? Wireless, USB or PS2? If Wireless or USB it may not be active at that point and you will need a PS2 style keyboard (round connector) to make this work.

Draconian

Draconian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
My keyboard and mouse are Logitech wireless. I'm, not sure I understand. Why F5? The instructions given say to press F8.

Is there some way to verify which keys are active and their function?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Why F5? The instructions given say to press F8.

because sometimes F5 will work when F8 doesn't

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I don't know if a wireless keyboard will function at that time during the boot process, which is why I suggest using a USB or PS2 keyboard. Doing so, F8 will then most likely work.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
one other thing to try is tapping the F8 key about once per second as soon as you press the power button to start the computer

Draconian

Draconian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Ahhhhhh. (light comes on) Didn't think about the wireless not working until the full boot cycle had completed. I do have a PS2 keyboard attached in addition to the wireless for those times the wireless hangs or my batteries crap out. I'll try the F8 first with the other keyboard and if that doesn't work I'll try the F5 key. Thanks for the help!