Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Gateway 3200s PC powers up but nothing else...

• Please log in to reply

missfixit

missfixit

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I don't know what to put on this or even if anyone who would respond. I have a Gateway 3200s Desktop Computer. Whether I use the power supply that was in it or another one I have that's compatible all it does is turn on and the fans run constantly. Nothing shows up on the monitor and I noticed the monitor doesn't even acknowledge that it's connected to the pc. Oh I also get a GREEN LED light that comes on and a blinking RED one too. Now that's with the other PSU but with the original one both lights come on. I really need some help FAST please!

Thank you in advance :)

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
:welcome: missfixi

Couple of questions for you if I may, when your computer is functioning correctly when you boot up normally do you hear a single POST beep.

Your MB (motherboard) has an integrated video chip and 3 pci slots, are you using the integrated video chip or an add on pci type video card.

Suggestions;

Read and then follow the safety guidance on page 49 of the user manual.

Remove the memory stick/s as described on page 54 and 55 of the user manual, blow out the slots, replace one stick of memory in slot 1, reassemble the computer and see how it goes, repeat the procedure with the same memory stick in slot 2 and again see how it goes.

If you have two sticks of Ram repeat the procedure using only memory stick 2 and see how that goes.

If no joy with the Ram then I suggest that you remove the MBs (motherboard) CR2032 battery for a few moments and then replace it as described on page 56 of the user manual http://support.gatew...ops/8510158.pdf see .jpegs below.

Let us know the requested information and the results of the testing.

missfixit

missfixit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Yes, when the computer was running normally I would hear a beep, the fan would come on and then go quiet. My monitor would click on, be recognized and a picture would be displayed. Now when I turn it on there's NO beep and the fan stays on. A green light stays lit until I turn the pc off and there's a blinking red LED light which I have no clue why that blinks. Also my the pc doesn't seem to recognize the monitor because it never turns it on now.

Just tried the ram cards and the battery but still no change.

Ok what happened is I needed to replace my cooling fan which sits on my heat sink. I received a new fan with the heat sink included so I pulled the old one out I found out that the heat sink wasn't compatible with my pc so I put my old one back in. After a few attempts with no power at all to my pc I finally realized what was wrong. On the bottom of my heat sink is a card or chip which had to sit in properly or nothing would work. After fixing that problem and putting everything back together I finally got power but nothing else. I thought it was my psu so I put in a different one which is newer than the one that came out of it, but still no change. I hope this helps.

Edited by missfixit, 15 July 2012 - 12:06 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

On the bottom of my heat sink is a card or chip which had to sit in properly or nothing would work

This does not sound good as what you describe suggests that when you removed the HS and cooling fan you also pulled the processor from the socket, possibly bending or snapping off pins in the process.
Is this what happened and if so before you replaced the processor did you check the processor for bent or missing pins, release the locking mechanism, line the processor up in the correct orientation, relock the mechanism to hold the CPU in place and finally clean off the old and reapply new thermal paste.

missfixit

missfixit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Yes I did see some bent pins which I straightened as best I could. What I don't understand is why that came out so easily ?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Okay you will need to dismantle everything again and have another check of the CPU.
If there are no snapped pins only bent you may be able to straighten them enough for the CPU to work, one way to do this is by using a propelling/mechanical pencil, empty out the lead, lay the CPU flat with the pins upwards, depress the button on the pencil, slide it over a bent pin, release the button and gently draw the pencil upwards keeping it as straight as you can, repeat the process until any bent pins are as straight as you can get them.

Be very gentle and do not forget to clean off the old and apply fresh thermal paste before any attempt at powering up the computer.

There is not a great deal of force required to do what has happened here and for future reference one way to avoid it happening is to run the computer for a while so that the CPU gets hot which then softens the thermal paste allowing for the safe removal of the heat-sink.

missfixit

missfixit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Ok I did what you said to do with the pencil and the pins. There was only one that was bent and I straightened it out best I could. It was able to sit in its holder better than before so that's a good thing. Now I don't have thermal paste since I'm a novice to computers but I do have some white lithium grease paste. Will this work ? Also now I get 3 beeps and the fan still stays on oh and the red LED light stopped blinking and now it stays on like the green one.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
From my reply #6

do not forget to clean off the old and apply fresh thermal paste before any attempt at powering up the computer.

I am sorry but you are asking for trouble by not following the guidance that is offered, frying your MB and CPU takes seconds when no thermal paste has been applied.

I have read of people using lithium grease before but have not done it myself so cannot recommend it.

Three beeps suggests memory problems, this can include bad Ram slots on the MB.

missfixit

missfixit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Whoa I am doing everything you are telling me to do but I don't have access to any thermal paste. Wth you told me to take the memory cards out and replace them one at a time and now I might have a bad RAM slots ?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
My reply #6

Okay you will need to dismantle everything again and have another check of the CPU.
If there are no snapped pins only bent you may be able to straighten them enough for the CPU to work, one way to do this is by using a propelling/mechanical pencil, empty out the lead, lay the CPU flat with the pins upwards, depress the button on the pencil, slide it over a bent pin, release the button and gently draw the pencil upwards keeping it as straight as you can, repeat the process until any bent pins are as straight as you can get them.

Be very gentle and do not forget to clean off the old and apply fresh thermal paste before any attempt at powering up the computer.
There is not a great deal of force required to do what has happened here and for future reference one way to avoid it happening is to run the computer for a while so that the CPU gets hot which then softens the thermal paste allowing for the safe removal of the heat-sink.

From your reply #7

Now I don't have thermal paste since I'm a novice to computers but I do have some white lithium grease paste. Will this work ? Also now I get 3 beeps and the fan still stays on oh and the red LED light stopped blinking and now it stays on like the green one.

Which suggests that the computer has been powered up without cleaning off and applying fresh thermal paste, the opposite of what I advised.

Wth you told me to take the memory cards out and replace them one at a time and now I might have a bad RAM slots ?

You have made progress with getting to where you are now as you were getting nothing before, bent pins can short out the MB which can cause all kinds of damage to your MB + anything else attached to it.

This;

Three beeps suggests memory problems, this can include bad Ram slots on the MB.

Was information only and the CPU and even a bad keyboard can result in you receiving 3 error beeps, further information @ http://www.pchell.co...beepcodes.shtml

missfixit

missfixit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Well like I said before I don't have any paste. This computer wasn't mine. I got it from a guy who didn't take care of it at all. There was dust and literally dustballs everywhere. What's weird is I never had a problem until I replaced the cooling fan, which is a simple task. I've done it before with no problems and usually when you order a cooling fan that's all you get. I believe my problem started as soon as I tried to remove the heat sink.

Now my question here is I found a cheap replacement processor from a friend to replace the one that's damaged. My question is will this solve my problems ?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Sorry about the delay getting back to you.

The present CPU may work okay now so for now I would not purchase a replacement at present.

A more cost effective approach would be to purchase a couple of thermal pads from a tech store, if the present CPU is bad you will at least already have a second thermal pad which you would need for the CPU from your friend.

Before you go to the trouble and cost of replacing the present CPU can you do the following please;

Disconnect and then reconnect the keyboard - try another keyboard if you can.
Remove all Ram and power up the PC, it will not boot up obviously and the idea is to see if the error beeps change.

Can you provide the PSU details so that we can do some research, brand and model name or number please.