Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to speed up my PC when my RAM id maxed out

• Please log in to reply

altogirl156

altogirl156

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm running a HP Pavilion p6637c. My computer has been slowing down lately, so I looked into adding some extra RAM. Crucial.com says my max RAM is 4G and control panel says that's what I'm running. Is there anything I can do to boost my procesing speed? I've done all kinds of cleanups and scans and defragments. Nothing seems to do the trick. Thanks for your help!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
:welcome: altogirl156

Upgrading the processor and the video card will help but you will also need to upgrade the stock 250W PSU (power supply unit) to power the upgrades, is this something that you are willing to do.

Your computer specs http://h20000.www2.h...rodTypeId=12454

rossj81

rossj81

• Pip
  • 8 posts
As phillpower2 said, the easiest way to boost speed is upgrade your CPU or graphics card. In the default configuration of computer, the current motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:
  • AMD Phenom II Quad-Core
  • AMD Phenom II Triple-Core
  • AMD Phenom Quad-Core (A) 9xxx series (AM2+)
  • AMD Phenom Triple-Core (T) 8xxx series (AM2+)
  • AMD Athlon X4
  • AMD Athlon X3
  • AMD Athlon X2 (B) (AM2+)
NOTE: Only socket AM2+ processors are supported with this motherboard.
NOTE: Replacing the CPU can be tricky. You will need thermal paste and if the instruction set differs from your current CPU, you will need to reinstall your operating system.

If you don't have money to buy new components, there are two alternatives:
  • 1. I assume you're running Windows XP, in which case you might see some benefit if you do a clean install of Windows. I find that Windows gets "cluttered" with old apps that don't uninstall correctly over time.
    NOTE: You will need the original installation disks, as well as the disks for all the applications you have installed yourself.
  • 2. You can overclock your system.
    NOTE: Overclocking can result in permanent damage to your CPU, motherboard and RAM.